So... I just humiliated myself at the gym

Options

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Good story but I was hoping some farting or something.

I puked once after squatting. I thought it was embarassing, but everybody else thought it was awesome. Men are weird

We used to have a designated "squat till you puke" day. Wasn't supposed to be taken literally, but some days it was.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

That would have probably been less embarrassing. And there's always next time!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Just say no to the Smith machine.

For squats definitely.

They're good for static holds and shrugs. Especially bench.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    First, step away from the Smith Machine.

Second, honey, we ALL have done it. I have tripped over more barbells and machines, I have lost count. My DH farted doing squats. It's normal. Good on you for trying, and keep trying. If you are new to lifting, a trainer may help until you learn form and feel more comfortable. Not hurting yourself is a worthwhile investment.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    To me goblet squats allow you a free range of motion, where as the Smith Machine locks you in. While I like the safety of the Smith, and the fact that I can isolate certain muscles a little better, it does not do my knees any favors.

As far as any exercise in the gym, if you quit the first time something was difficult you probably are not going to get very far. We all have to start somewhere. And I am not in favor of ever ignoring an entire body part, so if not on the smith, then on the squat rack, or build it up with goblets until you can handle a regular squat.

Lastly trust me most people in the gym are so concerned with their workouts, they probably never noticed.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    So the gym doesn't have just a regular squat rack (I asked). What should I do in that case? They have a group exercise room next door that is usually empty that has these foam bars that they use for group classes. I think they go up to 50 lbs. Should I just grab one of those, OH press it onto my shoulders, and free squat until I get better?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah so...I was squatting with a barbell this morning. I was doing 120lbs (which is almost body weight). I went down....and was stuck for a few seconds. I literally thought..."oh crap,oh crap, I'm going to have to dump this!" Through sheer willpower and the fear of embarrassment, I was able to push the bar back up. Being stuck that way would have been more embarrassing, b/c lowering the bar to the safety catches definitely would have made more noise.

I don't think you are supposed to squat at the smith machine...maybe that's why you were stuck.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

my pride has definitely gotten me out of the hole many times more so than my butt.

the worse thing i've done at my recent gym is wiping out on so box jumps. i ended up scraping my shins, and falling into the plyo box . there was about 4 people looking at me like :huh: "what do we do ? what do we do?" i just pimp-limped over to the stretching area like "yeah i mean to do that" meanwhile my shins were bloody :laugh:

oh yeah i also popped myself in the throat with the bar when doing a clean. this one is very dangerous. luckily there wasnt much weight on it

i'm honestly very very afraid that one day i might poop my pants while deadlifting.

anyway OP, my point is it happens to everyone at some point, just go back again, lower the weight significantly and try to avoid the smith machine for squats. i have found that for bench press it's pretty much the same though. i can maybe get to like 10 pounds more on the smitch than on the bar, but the smith is good when i dont have a spotter and i'm working at a weight near my max
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wait, I'm a newbie and I don't know the difference between the squat machine and a smith machine. I just tried googling and they all look the same but I think I've been doing my squats on a smith machine all this time. "It consists of a barbell that is fixed within steel rails, allowing only vertical movement." I also was told doing bench presses is better using this machine and just started doing them on it too. Help!!!
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The Smith Machine works just fine for squats. The problem is that most people try to do them by putting their feet out in front of the bar and leaning back into the bar rather than standing up underneath it as you would a barbell.

In a properly performed squat (with just a barbell), there should be very little front to back movement of the bar (which is eliminated entirely with a Smith Machine). However, a lot of people who think they are performing the squats correctly actually wind up with their butt sticking out at the bottom of the squat which winds up creating the front-to-back motion which many people claim is "natural" in a squat movement. It isn't. It's the result of poor form throughout the movement.

If you have good form, a Smith Machine squat is very little different than a regular barbell squat other than that there is less involvement from stabilizing muscles. Even that can be overcome by adding split squats in the Smith Machine which will work out the stabilizing muscles even better than a standard barbell squat.

It's always a matter of if you know how to properly use the equipment and whether you use proper form while doing it.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You're awesome for a) Trying b) Sharing this story.

To make other posters happier:
    I was in the gym for my morning workout. I'd had bean soup the day before for lunch. I'm doing Strong Lifts - a 5x5 routine. And EVERY 5th rep of squats, one ripped out. I didn't do it, I was trying to keep them in!!!! Very glad that at 6am the gym has only a few people in it, and they wear headphones.
    But seriously, once would have been enough!!!

Onto your questions:

Q1 1 – Are squats with a bar on your back supposed to be that much more difficult than goblet squats? I thought it was the other way around. Or do they work another muscle group that I apparently lack?
    A1 - They will work things a little differently given the same amount of weight due to how your body bears the weight of a goblet vs a bar on your back.

Q2 – Should I give up on squatting for now, or just keep squatting the bar as far as I can go and hope to get better?
    A2 - NEVAR give up on squatting. IMHO. But verify if the issue is mobility or learning how to do high bar squats and make steps to correct or earn what you need to.

Q3 – does it sound like I was doing something wrong, or is it reasonable that a relatively healthy, non-injured woman not be able to squat the bar?
    A3 - my opinion - every person who knows how to use the smith machine can squat the bar. The mechanics of how to squat with it though, are not necessarily obvious. I see more people doing it incorrectly than correctly. There are also vertical and angled smith machines, and if you were in an angled machine facing the wrong way trying to even move the bar would be difficult as you'd be applying pressure against the plane of movement as opposed to along it.
  • nanboot
    nanboot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, please don't be so hard on yourself. You are really trying and that is what counts. Some of us older folks with aches, pains and chronic injuries only wish we had the courage to do what you are doing. Keep at it.
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have to admit I don't know jack about the kind of stuff you're talking about, because I don't do much weight lifting, but I thought it was funny. Well you handled yourself with more dignity than me, because I would have faked a muscle spasm and asked for help.:laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just say no to the Smith machine.

For squats definitely.

They're good for static holds and shrugs. Especially bench.

Australian pulls...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I puked once after squatting. I thought it was embarassing, but everybody else thought it was awesome. Men are weird

Wait until you deadlift and prairie dog a little.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think it's good you kept on trying. Now you know where you really are at. Plus you are not a wuss who runs into the locker crying/hiding.

I think you should do whatever squats you can do, until you can do the other ones.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the smith machine, not having a full range of motion drives me bonkers. That being said, I've never worked with kettlebells so I can't really draw a comparison for you.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did what was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in a gym other day. Distracted by conversation I mistakenly doubled one of the weights on one side of an Olympic bar on an inclined bench and couldn't lift it off my chest. I was solo and had to call for a spot. Was I embarrassed? A little until I reminded myself I was human and I was there.

how did you not realize 2X the weight on the one side when you first unracked the bar?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Wait until you deadlift and prairie dog a little.

general rule of thumb i think is before massages, yoga and deadlifts we should all have a little me time to err on the side of caution
  • kmozymoz
    Options
    So the gym doesn't have just a regular squat rack (I asked). What should I do in that case? They have a group exercise room next door that is usually empty that has these foam bars that they use for group classes. I think they go up to 50 lbs. Should I just grab one of those, OH press it onto my shoulders, and free squat until I get better?

I think that's a good plan. I've been doing that in my weight lifting class and I find it pretty doable. I don't have a bunch of weight on (about 30-35 pounds), but I'd say it's a good way to work up to it.

Also, thanks for sharing that great mental image. :laugh: