Do you think it's rude to do noisy cardio in an apartment?

Options
Hi,

Maybe this is a silly question but...

I live in the 2nd floor of an apartment building and was wondering what you thought. I'd love to do more intense cardio workouts with jumping, etc, but I am paranoid that it is way too rude to do so. I would be working out in the middle of the day, between 10am and 1pm.

Do you think it is rude to the neighbors below me if I do cardio with jumping at this time of day or am I just overreacting?

Replies

• torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine during the day. I used to live in a second floor flat (apartment) and did the 30 day shred - I just made sure I always did it between 9-5 :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I love noisy cardio
  • FartsMcGhee
    FartsMcGhee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As someone who lives in a first floor apt I would say that, if the people below you are home during this time then yes it is rude. If you want to do this noisy cardio you should live on the first floor.

If they don't work at home and aren't there during this time I say go for it. OR you could ask them if they mind, my upstairs neighbor asked me if I was ok with her "Insanity" and I'm fine with it in the middle of the day. My husband and I joke that she's "going insane" when we're home and she's working :laugh:
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's rude. You don't know your neighbor's work schedule. I had a guy living above me who had a treadmill. He interrupted many a nap, but I didn't care so much about that because it was in the afternoon. However, just because it doesn't interrupt your sleep doesn't mean it isn't annoying as *kitten*. I would try to study or read and the thumping was incredibly distracting.

You could always go to your downstairs neighbors and ask. They might not even be home during that time frame.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's rude.

This is what I thought! My fiance told me I was overreacting though, which I do a lot, so I wanted to make sure.
  • darkbrownsuga
    Options
    Ask your neighbor.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I'd just do the noisy cardio whenever you could fit it in..
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hahah what kind of cardio are you doing that is THAT noisy!?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's only rude "if" someone is home at that time and need to get sleep during the day for some reason. It doesn't mean you should hold back and not exercise though. I'd actually go down and talk to them. Just say you want to start a new exercise program but want to make sure it's not bothering them and they can let you know if it is. No need to ask permission - you're an adult and you pay rent too.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes.. it is rude.

But maybe explain to your neighbor and just ask what their schedule is. For all you know they may not even be home when you would like to do your workout out. and on a plus you seem at the very least a considerate person for asking
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You could always ask if they're home around that time and explain why you're asking.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I just feel like anything with jumping is loud and annoying. Jump squats, jogging in place, burpees... all of that.

I actually tiptoe in my apartment after 8pm because I'm paranoid about the neighbor hearing me walk at night. I once moved in somewhere and on the first day the downstairs neighbor said to us that he hated the previous tenants because he could hear them walking around all day. I took that comment to heart, I guess.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It isn't rude as long as it isn't waking anyone up. If your neighbor doesn't complain if they do have a problem with it, how can you be expected to know?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Definitely not! The only time it's rude is if it's after the noise curfew. I do lots of jumping exercises in my apartment, no complaints.

I do have concrete floors though. I still think you'd be fine. Most likely no one is home below you.

Remember that you're paying for your apartment to live in it.

If you receive a complaint, then it might be rude but until that happens there's no point worrying about it much since it may be a non-issue.

Personally, I would never talk to my neighbour in my apartment (it's inappropriate plus there are rules against it in my apartment - not if you're friends or anything - but no complaint should go direct from tenant to tenant). If you really want to "ask for permission", you should talk to your caretaker/landlord and have them contact your downstairs neighbour.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I just feel like anything with jumping is loud and annoying. Jump squats, jogging in place, burpees... all of that.

I actually tiptoe in my apartment after 8pm because I'm paranoid about the neighbor hearing me walk at night. I once moved in somewhere and on the first day the downstairs neighbor said to us that he hated the previous tenants because he could hear them walking around all day. I took that comment to heart, I guess.

That's excessive.

If you live in an apartment- there is some reasonable expectations you'll hear people doing daily things- like- walking.

I had elephants for neighbors. I heard them ALL the time.
    Fine-whatever. It was okay.

I drew the line at screaming fist fights and called the cops on their sorry a**'s.

Practice jumping with soft landings- burpees aren't too loud on the way down- the jump for me winds up uncontrolled so try really controlling it for a soft landing. It's a good way to practice by doing them controlled and quiet.
    I found with my current place- I have upstairs neighbors- and my basement down stairs- any jumping was just to loud- (to me) and I opted out of it- but I have room on my porch so I do it on the porch.

My old place- I could do stuff in the stair well- so you could try there- I used the stairs and the concrete landing quiet a bit at my old place.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said, talk to your neighbors about it. Sometimes a simple conversation can alleviate a whole lot of misunderstanding and unnecessary drama.
    You may also want to take a look at your lease. These days many of them contain language that spells out what is and is not acceptable behavior, noise levels, etc.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Maybe go and check with the person living downstairs if it's something that's really bothering you? They might be working nights so sleeping during the day, you don't know, or they might not even be able to hear you at all. Who knows unless you ask. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    never lived in an apartment other then a dorm and there was not this level of respect lol.

IDK, unless the person benieth you works the night shift, i think you should be able to live your life. why should thier expectation of low noise trump your desire for health?

someone said something about working from home. I'd certainly welcome the noises of someone bumping around above me rather then having to focus through the millions of side conversations and other distractions i the office.

probably the best thing to do would be to ask. i'd be suprised if they told you know regardless of what they really think lol.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's inherently rude, as long as you ask your neighbors before you do it. :)
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all. Most complexes have 'quiet hours'. Mine are from 9pm to 9am. During non-quiet hours you should be able to do whatever you would normally do, within reason. I think doing 30 minutes or so of cardio is totally within reason, not to mention the fact that not ALL of it will include jumping & making a bunch of noise. If it annoys your downstairs neighbor, I'm sure he'll come say something & you guys can work it out like adults. But I disagree with everyone saying you should be quiet & conservative with your life at all times just because you 'don't know his work schedule'. It's not up to you to know his work schedule or to accommodate it, it's just up to you to follow the apartment rules and be able to compromise if the need arises. I mean, do you avoid vacuuming during the day because you're afraid of being noisy & interrupting someone else's day? I sure don't!