What does lifting heavy do?

13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Regarding your strength gains from 3 weeks of working out, they are neuro-muscular at this point meaning you are training your nervous system to work more efficiently. It takes a long time to add actual muscle mass.

Great point, and so important for beginners to understand. Just because you can push more weight around after a couple weeks and are getting "stronger" doesn't mean you automatically have more muscles (or more accurately, I suppose, bigger muscles).

Muscle growth requires a lot of things. Extra fuel (in the form of calories), testosterone, and time. They don't grow quickly, that's for sure.

On a couple points here...not just this post.

Yes you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time...but that is while eating at maitenance or a very small deficit. It is called recomp.

Yes you can gain muscle while at a deficit if you are new to lifting or obese...those gains will be small and short lived but doable...

Not saying that has happened here but...it is possible.

Normally for building muscle you do need a surplus and a progressive load lifting program.

For recomp you need patience as it takes a while.

See I had a question about this. I've done my reading and I get it, everywhere says you can't gain muscle mass while at a calorie deficit. I get it, I'm currently just maintaining my muscles while losing fat--but why then am I getting such big results in my arms and back? Is that not new? Is it just muscle I already had, now showing because loss of fat? What is my body doing?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Regarding your strength gains from 3 weeks of working out, they are neuro-muscular at this point meaning you are training your nervous system to work more efficiently. It takes a long time to add actual muscle mass.

Great point, and so important for beginners to understand. Just because you can push more weight around after a couple weeks and are getting "stronger" doesn't mean you automatically have more muscles (or more accurately, I suppose, bigger muscles).

Muscle growth requires a lot of things. Extra fuel (in the form of calories), testosterone, and time. They don't grow quickly, that's for sure.

On a couple points here...not just this post.

Yes you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time...but that is while eating at maitenance or a very small deficit. It is called recomp.

Yes you can gain muscle while at a deficit if you are new to lifting or obese...those gains will be small and short lived but doable...

Not saying that has happened here but...it is possible.

Normally for building muscle you do need a surplus and a progressive load lifting program.

For recomp you need patience as it takes a while.

See I had a question about this. I've done my reading and I get it, everywhere says you can't gain muscle mass while at a calorie deficit. I get it, I'm currently just maintaining my muscles while losing fat--but why then am I getting such big results in my arms and back? Is that not new? Is it just muscle I already had, now showing because loss of fat? What is my body doing?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Ooh thanks! I had been looking for a good read on this.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Please come join the group at Stronglifts 5x5 for Women- you'll learn tons!

bump and save
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    It's like the Mio commercial. IT CHANGES EVERYTHING!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Fantastic thread. Thank you.