Warning: Potato nutrition information

Options
So we scan everything, including the potato bags. One bag from Costco It states that a potato is 80 calories! So I would have 2 and would be happy and amazed that the calories were so low.

We got suspicious when we bought a different brand of potato and noticed the calories was substantially higher.
So we investigated and by Looking closer, it states for a 130g potato, it is 80 calories. Thats a SMALL potato, smaller than most in the bag.

So, we broke out our scale and me and my wife were shocked at the ACTUAL weight and calories in my "average" potato (300+ grams).

So be careful and weigh the damn thing, potato bags with nutritional information post the SMALLEST size and most likely the least likely size you will find in the bag.

BTW: MFP Potato listing (Most of them) list the potatoes via size and not actual weight. For example, 3" round Large Potato". This is not the way it should be, as a small potato could be short and still have a 3" round and a large potato could be long and have a 2" round as well...even less.

Anywho, food for thought. (Excuse the pun) :)

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Most of the potato listings I see are always in grams anyway. It seems to be a very American thing to list them by size not weight. As always if it's not a liquid it needs to be weighed
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Another reason why I love my food scale.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is just an illustration of why we should weigh everything with a food scale and not just blindly believe the nutrition labels.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat sweet potatoes. With their usual crazy shapes I have just become accustomed to always weighing them.

In general I just try to avoid any of the measurements that are not weight based.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awwww, don't burst my bubble. I like eating a huge baked potato and logging it as 80 calories!!! LOL

But seriously, all fruits and veggies need to be weighed for accuracy. I see listings in the database for things like "small apple" and I'm like "What does that mean?" My idea of small could be pretty different from someone else's.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    For produce ALWAYS use the USDA entries (no asterisk and they currently say "generic"). And those entries always have an option for logging in grams.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    This is true for pretty much all foods though - like what is a medium banana or a large plum? It's why I always use weight - even for prepackaged things. Like McDonalds small fries are over 71g 100% of the time in my experience. And "about 11 chips" is so not 28g (it's actually usually more than 12 in my experience).

I also generally stick with the food entries on MFP that have no * on them - those always have grams in the drop down menu (and they are "official" entries, not user submitted).
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have a high glycemic index though. So our blood sugar shoots up when we eat it :O
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Always weigh. Never go with the per unit on the package. That includes bread; if it close enough to the weight stated on the bread package I let it it stick but the end pieces can be either lighter or heavier. I don't want to short myself calories either. And I live the potato bags that lane 20 chips. Really? In what universe is every potato chip in the bag of equal size?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BTW: MFP Potato listing (Most of them) list the potatoes via size and not actual weight. For example, 3" round Large Potato". This is not the way it should be, as a small potato could be short and still have a 3" round and a large potato could be long and have a 3" round as well...even less.

The good entries in the database have weight (100 g) options. I'm glad you decided to weigh it and saw the real calories, but potatoes are something that OF COURSE you have to weigh. They vary in size quite a lot, and how do I know what a medium potato is supposed to be?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've seen SO many different calorie listings for potatoes, and not just on MFP, either. i've never seen another food with so many different calorie claims for the same weight of that food.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Corn has the most widely disparate ones I've seen.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    For produce ALWAYS use the USDA entries (no asterisk and they currently say "generic"). And those entries always have an option for logging in grams.

do you know if rhere's a way to filter to ONLY the USDA entries? it takes me longer to log my food than to make it because i have to scroll through a sea of mistakes. haha
  • kayemme
    Options
    just remember, not all potatoes are the same. there are probably hundreds (at least one hundred) varieties of potatoes; your local grocery probably only sells two and fast food dictates the primary production.

a serving of potato should be about the size of your fist or a bit smaller.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep...weigh everything! Add anything to the database that is not logged in grams...or ounces! The amount of times I have been caught out by small, medium, large and average! Argh! Self sabotage! :grumble:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Select the entries (when possible ) without the * in it and select the option for 100g. There's several for potatoes; raw, cooked, boiled, microwaved, etc. Choose the one that's appropriate for your cooking method.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Select the entries (when possible ) without the * in it and select the option for 100g. There's several for potatoes; raw, cooked, boiled, microwaved, etc. Choose the one that's appropriate for your cooking method.

and 100g is a bit less than 4oz (28g = 1oz)
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    From now on, I will weigh just about everything.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    To find the good entries, search for "potatoes raw" and you will see a variety of non asterisked potato entries (the good ones). Pick the one that fits your type of potato (although I haven't noticed the types I eat being remarkably different in calories).

If you are weighing cooked obviously replace "raw" with "cooked" and find your cooking method, but I always weigh potatoes raw. If I'm sharing them I just portion out the resulting ones and adjust for the percentage I'm eating.

I don't know what the "generic" entries are, but they have asterisks and I've seen some that are way off, so I'm skeptical of them. (If anyone knows, I'd love to find out.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    your local grocery probably only sells two and fast food dictates the primary production.

I get my potatoes from my CSA, usually, but I still see them in my local grocery, and it sells WAY more than 2 types.