Tips for keeping a straight back during deadlifts?

Options
Please don't tell me to use the search function, as all it brings up is page upon page of Hugh Jackman lifting 400lb. I'm as interested in that as the next person, but it doesn't adequately address my problem.

I round my back. I know I do it and I can't seem to stop. Any suggestions? I've started on lighter weights and practiced it there, but I still don't have a straight back. I can lift the weights and they're getting heavier each time, but it's not going to do much good in the long run if I continue with such crappy form.

I've tried watching videos too but still not getting it. I had similar problems in my swimming lessons too. The instructor would be all like 'Elsie do this. This. What I'm doing with my arms right now' and I would tell them that I was doing it, wasn't I? and the answer would always be no. I wouldn't go as far as thinking I have dyspraxia, but seriously, my limbs do not do what I tell them to do.

Ta.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Can't tell what's wrong without seeing you. Post a video of yourself lifting, viewed from the side at hip level. We don't need to see your face.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you looking at yourself in the mirror? that will also screw up your form a bit too
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight. Stick you butt out a bit. Stick your boobs out. Now kind of slouch your shoulders forward a little. Now bend at the knees and go down. Bend a little at the waist as well. Pick up the bar. If you have less than 135lbs on the bar you will need to figure out a way to raise it so it is at the height it would be if you did have the 45lbs plates on each side.
  • kinect21
    Options
    I used to round my back at the start of the lift if I was looking down at the bar and my hips too high. I found this out when I video myself doing at least 5 reps. So, I made some adjustments by keeping upper back tight, chest out, hips a bit lower (my preference) and drive weight with glutes and lock-out. Start with lighter weights 1st to practice proper form and increase the weights gradually.

Like others have said, a video of you will surely help.

In my gym they have 5, 10 and 25 pound bumper plates as wide as the regular 45 lb plates. That helps too with other women starting out with lighter weights.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    i personally find that concentrating on keeping my shoulders away from ears and thinking about squeezing the scapula down and together helps as well.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips - not sure you will read this now, but wanted to comment and say thanks. I posted the topic and then didn't have internet access for a couple of days.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    At a guess Id assume you need more glute activation in the lift
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    for me I make sure I start out in a good position. Make sure the bar is at your shins. Get your grip on. I look up, lower butt and here is the key...

It's a push movement...not a pull...and I am sure you are like what??????????

concentrate on pushing your feet through the floor...and as you push your feet down lift the bar up your shins to your knees then stand up straight...

check out so you think you can deadlift video series on youtube.
  • DGR70
    DGR70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by the guy in this video, he is one of the best you'll find to teach technique in the big 3 lifts. This is the first of 9 part series, but for the basics this is the only installment you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2wLZSdeDg#t=43
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! And I've hurt my back in the past doing it,

I just realized it's because I'm trying to reach all the way down to the floor since I'm not lifting heavy enough yet. I'm going to try to set my weights on the stop risers and see if that helps me.

Hope you can figure it out!
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning, so I got some PT sessions to have my form checked periodically. But a natural curve seems key. I have started to think "gorilla" as it makes me stick my bum out enough to get that natural curve. The post above about remembering that it is a push with the legs/butt, rather than a pull with th arms was spot on.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Do them in front of a mirror and watch your form. That's what mirrors at the gym are for :)

Only go as low as you can keep that straight back. Are you doing straight/stiff leg deadlifts? Try bent knee for a while until you can start building up that flexibility in the lower back. Stretch your back, glutes, and hams intensely and as much as possible.

Don't look at the ground, the weights, your feet.Look straight ahead.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    i personally find that concentrating on keeping my shoulders away from ears and thinking about squeezing the scapula down and together helps as well.

OP you need to listen to this woman.

Also, give us a video of your awesome form.

I found the best thing I could do to work on my deadlift form was to deadlift, a lot. Talking 200 reps or more in a session at relatively low weights (I'd stay sub 250), and really focus on keeping that back in a hard arch, shoulders in the right spot, and pulling with my butt.

Just took some time, now I'd say my form is getting better, but it's taking a lot of work and observation.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Good advice I received was to do superman exercises on the floor to get used to using the muscles need to properly control your back.

That, or tie a plank to yourself.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Take a video & post it
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Good advice I received was to do superman exercises on the floor to get used to using the muscles need to properly control your back.

That, or tie a plank to yourself.

Good call. Supes !@#$ing suck.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I prefer to look up high on the wall. Keep your butt down, shoulders back, and take all slack out of your arms (pre-load your arms). Start the pull using your legs first keeping weight on the heels. Keep the bar as close to your shins as possible (if you're doing it right you will occasionally knick your shins). It will feel almost like you're pulling back as you begin to straighten out. Most of all, get the form right before you start adding weight. I find using just the bar for a quick set or two really helps lock the form in.

When the weight really starts getting heavy, I will occasionally lose form and round my back (especially if I lose concentration). I know when it happens immediately and I scrap the lift. I'm usually done with DL's for the day at that point as I've tried to push through in the past and I tend to feel it the next day even if I keep good form on any remaining sets.

Good luck! You'll get it.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Do them in front of a mirror and watch your form. That's what mirrors at the gym are for :)

Only go as low as you can keep that straight back. Are you doing straight/stiff leg deadlifts? Try bent knee for a while until you can start building up that flexibility in the lower back. Stretch your back, glutes, and hams intensely and as much as possible.

Don't look at the ground, the weights, your feet.Look straight ahead.
    but the best way to judge DL form is from the side, which is kind of hard to see for yourself
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOxKyn7wGI

Watch that. Keep core tight. Do the breathing like he does. Then shove your *kitten* down and stay tight. If the spine is braced, breathing is correct, abdominal pressure is correct, then the spine won't round.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually look at my head position at the start of the lift if I feel like I'm rounding too much. I have found that it is best for me to keep a neutral head position as opposed to looking up at the ceiling or down to the ground. This seems to make the spine fall in line for me.