I just ran my first mile in more than 15 years!

Options
I don't know where to put this. Maybe its a small victory, maybe it is the first of many. But I can't keep it contained. I just ran my first mile since I was in high school 17 years ago! I know pace isn't important, but I managed it in 13:20, which is a full 3 minutes longer than I've run since starting this journey in May. The first time I tried to run, I felt like death after 30 seconds. No, really. I laid down and wanted to cry. Now, a whole freaking mile! Looking forward to 2!

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! I started running almost 3 years ago after a 15 year lay off, so I know what you're going through. Keep it up and you'll be racing before you know it.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome run! :drinker:
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    awesome :)
  • happybecause
    happybecause Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job! So happy for you! Kudos!
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    giphy.gif
    Wow, this is awesome! That's huge! CONGRATS!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Congratulations!
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou::drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Nice job!

Next time, try to run it in less than 15 years. :laugh:

Sorry, I can't help myself! But seriously, that's good work. Keep it up!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's awesome! Keep up the good work.
  • LilMissTucknRoll
    LilMissTucknRoll Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Last week I did my first mile in 10 years, and I was not running the whole thing... YET!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Rockin' A!!!!!! Keep going & Boston or New York Marathons are soon around the corner! lol

batmanword-620804.jpg
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Good for you...great accomplishment! I got back into jogging after 7 years off, and after about 5 months I was able to run a 5K. Continue the great work, and good luck:smile:
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think I'm green with envy!:bigsmile:
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    way to go!!! Nothing feels better than accomplishing a goal you've set for yourself!! I am so proud of you! Keep it up and let us know when you hit your next milestone!
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Congratulations! Good luck with your 2nd mile! You'll be able to run it without breaking a sweat in no time~
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    THAT IS SO AWESOME. Congratulations! Great NSV!
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well done you! I remember that 30 second death feeling too - congrats for getting past it! Here's to mile two!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't know where to put this. Maybe its a small victory, maybe it is the first of many. But I can't keep it contained. I just ran my first mile since I was in high school 17 years ago! I know pace isn't important, but I managed it in 13:20, which is a full 3 minutes longer than I've run since starting this journey in May. The first time I tried to run, I felt like death after 30 seconds. No, really. I laid down and wanted to cry. Now, a whole freaking mile! Looking forward to 2!

I am jealous :)
  • DanceMomCG
    DanceMomCG Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just ran a full mile without stopping yesterday! It was the first time since high school when I had to do it for my grade in gym. That was 23 years ago.... Lol
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Good job, and thank you for posting!

I was recently able to run 1/4 mile as part of my normal walk. I couldn't make it fifty feet when i started, without wanting to collapse. Pretty soon i'll be along for the full mile, and trying to catch you at mile-marker 2!