losing weight while sick

Options
so i had a heavy cold or mild flu. i felt really worn out in addition to the coughing, sneezing, stuffy nose and falling asleep all the time. i had a fever of up to 101.4 at the top; btw usually my body temp runs low.

anyway, i wasn't surprised to lose a little when i had a fever and while i wasn't eating quite as many calories as normal due to sleeping more. but i'm still feeling really weak, and i actually ate a little more than usual yesterday, woke up feeling beat and had lost even more weight (and believe me, i'm hydrating like crazy and eating plenty of protein!).

so today will be the first time since may 1 that i'm going to be going over on calories. i still have a sore throat and feel weak and lousy, was so hungry last night and this morning i had extra food - then weighed myself and i was down another pound. i'm going to go with how my body is feeling and eat if i'm hungry, but it's all sort of weird.

do you find that you lose weight when you're sick after the fever is gone?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Try not worrying about weight loss right now and focus on getting better. Weight loss can't consume life.

^^^This. Eat based on hunger until you feel strong and get back to your routine.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    actually i'm primarily concerned about not losing muscle while i'm sick.

admittedly there was that little voice in my head going "oh, no! today will be my first day over my calorie goal", but i am ignoring it and eating what my body seems to need.

and thanks for your responses :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's very normal to feel better and then, a few hours later, become ravenously hungry. Most people tend to eat at that point. It's normal and natural.

I'm a big one for taking hunger cues from your body, so I say EAT.

As much as it sucks, one flu will not make or break you on calories, weight loss, muscle loss, etc. If you were sick for months, that would be another story. You'll be back to old self soon. :)