is a 44 inch waist ok?

Options

Replies

• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", 280lbs, and my waist is 38-40 at ~27%BF.

Do you even LBM? Jeebus.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You probably have poor logging. But I would say 44 is a little concerning. My boyfriend is about 6'4" and has 34" waist size. You should reevaluate your diet and exercise.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    In Japan, if you have a waist size over 33.5", you have to undergo counselling and lose weight or you and your work company pay extra taxes. It's rather extreme and a little bit too low of a cut off point if you ask me, but maybe that makes the answer to your question a little bit more obvious?

Just so we aren't spreading misinformation:

There is no individual penalty and it only applies for those between ages 40 and 74. The business "tax" applies to a overall participation and % reduction goal. It's also 35.4" for women.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    In Japan, if you have a waist size over 33.5", you have to undergo counselling and lose weight or you and your work company pay extra taxes. It's rather extreme and a little bit too low of a cut off point if you ask me, but maybe that makes the answer to your question a little bit more obvious?

Don't forget the Japanese are significantly smaller on average than most other non-asians races. 33.5 might actually be rather large for a japanese man.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options

For what it is worth, this is extremely controversial. I have a friend who is clearly underweight, but because he's tall, he was labeled "metabo" by this standard. You can see his ribs.
    That is a ridiculous cutoff point. My fiance's waist is 34 and he is far from overweight. He could gain 50 pounds and still be at a healthy weight, practically.

Yeah, my husband who is 6', around 180lbs and jogs about 15 miles/week has a 33 inch waist (snug) in his khakis. Ridiculous.

ETA: I am a 5'9", 300+lb female and my waist is 43.3" inches.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm a male and my waist size is 44. I am wondering if that is ok. I am 5'11 and I weigh 228 right now. I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat too much,i just have a poor metabolism.

I'm 6'1" and when I had a 44" waist (as measured by Old Navy jeans size), I was very clearly "fat". At your height, somewhere in the 32"-34" range is a reasonable target.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You should probably have somewhere in the range of 34 to 36 unless you are going for a set of six pack abs then it would be smaller. As previous posters have stated you are probably eating more than you think. The little things can add up quickly.
    I think this person is right on. Things add up quickly.:smooched:
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No, a 44 inch waist is not ok. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy weight/size.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,190 Member
    Options
    Ok compared to what? Basically a 44" waist is a very large waist. At 5'11" at 228, unless you are all muscle, in which case you would not have a 44" waist, you are overweight and need to lose about 40 or so pounds.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm a male and my waist size is 44. I am wondering if that is ok. I am 5'11 and I weigh 228 right now. I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat too much,i just have a poor metabolism.

No.

Lose it.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    you are very round
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The British Heart Foundation takes a position you have a health risk with a waist over 37" ...

http://www.bhf.org.uk/bmi/bmi_measurewaist.html
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    To answer your question No, a 44 inch waist at 228 lbs is not ok. I am sure you are aware of the dangers of abdominal fat and you fit the bill there if all your weight is in your stomach area. Try some high intensity interval workouts HIIT seems to be the most effective with stubborn belly fat and as many others said double down on watching what you eat. Full disclosure, I'm 6'2 270 lbs and have a 44 inch waist myself so I am fighting the same battle.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    According to the heart and stroke foundation:

If your ethnicity is European/Caucasian, Sub-Saharan Africans, Eastern Mediterranean, Middle Eastern your waist should be under 40 inches for a male and 35 for a female.

if your ethnicity is South Asian, Malaysian, Asian, Chinese,Japanese, Ethnic South and Central Americans then your waist should be under 35 inches for male and 32 inches for a woman.

Anything higher than that will put you at an increased risk for heart disease, high-blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and type-2 diabetes.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well if this helps, I am 40+, 6'1, 218 lbs, and my waist is a 35 inches - 24% Body Fat. At my heaviest I was 250 and have a 42 inch waist - 38% Body Fat. Ideally, I think I would like to still drop a couple more and try for a 33 to 34 inch waist, possibly even getting my Body Fat to under 20%.

So without seeing a picture, I would normally consider someone 5'11 with a 44 inch waist to probably be obese and at risk for developing a number of the conditions that you mentioned. But at the end of the day, if you are happy with you, then you are happy with you.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    im 5-10" and I've never gone above a size 34 in my life luckily..any time I've had tight trousers I've kicked myself and stopped eating as much till they loosened off again..Now thanks to mfp i weigh and watch all i take in and exercise out .. i think a 44 waist is huge for anyone tbh
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options

"In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife. But this method doesn't work with a tomato"
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    why do you think that I'm a troll? I am serious about my weight and health. all of my excess fat is in my stomach area. I have insulin resistance and diabetes runs in my family. I really need to lose weight but I have very poor metabolism. I wanted to know what the normal waist size should be for someone my height.

you dont have poor metabolism, you eat too much.

Eat to much? Yes, but metabolism could be a factor. Insulin resistance and diabetes are metabolic disorders. I have a metabolic disorder and one of the diagnostic characteristics is excess belly fat.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    im 5-10" and I've never gone above a size 34 in my life luckily..any time I've had tight trousers I've kicked myself and stopped eating as much till they loosened off again..Now thanks to map i weigh and watch all i take in and exercise out .. i think a 44 waist is huge for anyone tbh

Thanks for vanity sizing a size 34 pants does not necessarily mean you have a 34 inch waist. That works for both men and women, depending on the retailer of course.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    No. My health insurance company jacks up the premium for people with greater than 40" waist circumferences. Is this fair? Probably not but the insurance companies assess their risks. Heart disease and diabetes are significant risk factors with larger waist circumferences as a correlation. Personally, I view this as another monetary incentive to lose weight.