Inspirational recovery from anorexia through powerlifting

Options
This articulate, brave young woman was an obese teenager who developed anorexia. Here she talks about how instrumental powerlifting was in her recovery, alongside her university studies about exercise/sports and nutrition. She has a happier relationship with her body image and food, and less social anxiety. Wait for the end of the video to see her change in physique and how STRONG she is now. I cried! Success is SO much more than a number on a scale. I passionately believe that if more women knew what it was like to feel strong, we wouldn't spend our lives trying to be the smallest possible version of ourselves. She rocks, and her message needs to be spread far and wide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYlEo4LIT7A

Replies

• NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That was a seriously awesome video and a seriously awesome young lady...ty for sharing.
  • tinygirldancing
    tinygirldancing Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Certainly a very inspiring video, and I'm very happy for the speaker.
    However, I've had a completely different experience. I've struggled with eating for at least 10 years. For me, my issues aren't about wanting to be small- its about wanting to be in control. I am also a graduate student in clinical exercise physiology. Eating disorder recovery isn't always about putting on weight and becoming stronger. While weight restoration is certainly a component to recovery, for me at least the larger battle is giving up control and stop obsessing over exercise and numbers.
    Last year, at the beginning of my program, I began running as a completely innocent way to improve my CV fitness and improve my dancing. Lo and behold, running turned into one more number to track and obsess over. I strongly, strongly suspect that if I started powerlifiting it would go the same way running- a constant battle over numbers.
    Personally, the best and least disordered type of exercise for me is something like yoga or pilates where the emphasis isn't on results (time, weight, etc) but on how I feel in my body. Of course, everybody is different and if someone benefits from seeing this video, than of course it is a good thing.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring video. Thanks for sharing.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!