Halp! I hate the taste of pretty much all "healthy" foods...

Options
13»

Replies

• sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking for just me so here are some good things I eat:

Perdue white meat chicken slices, pre-cooked and ready to eat, either cold or warmed up
    Bag salad mixes, dressing included. I am addicted to the Lite Caesar, just romaine, croutons and dressing.
    Fruit, who doesn't like fruit?
    Morning Star Farms veggie burgers - they microwave in about 90 seconds and most are under 150 calories
    Grill it - I think almost anything tastes better cooked over open fire

I was a very picky eater when I first started my journey, now I eat almost everything.

Hope I have helped maybe a little
  • dietcoke001
    Options
    Hey guys here's some foods for people who are dieting but still want treats.-- I'lll post the link.. Lots of diet "cheats" that are super low calories Hope it helps@
    http://everybestof.com/1868-Best+Foods+on+A+Diet
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Tough love coming your way.... That last part of the OP is a completely lame excuse. You can have your nuggets if you want but maybe nuke a few less and throw one of those steamer bags of veggies in the microwave too for a more nutritious meal. Or open up a bag salad. There are so many convenience foods these days, both healthy and not so healthy - you just have to make the right choices. Most fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds take little to no prep time for snacks or side dishes.

And if you really want to develop your tastes, you just have to start doing it. Try new foods, try new recipes. Otherwise, you're just making excuses. I like poptarts too and I've been eating them 1-2 times a week lately, but some days I have less calories due to dinner plans so I choose to have a lower calorie snack bar instead.

Choices, you have them
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ou need to be more open, sounds like the diet of a 5 yr olds preferences. Try new things until ur taste changes
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I don't think a single person said corn was terrible for you.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I don't think a single person said corn was terrible for you.

corn is barely a food- if it comes out the same way it goes in- you're getting nothing it from it- don't pat yourself on the back.

Someone said it had no nutritional value to another poster.
  • amypet469
    amypet469 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When faced with eating food I don't care for I usually ask myself "Do you think you would LIKE shopping in the tent section? or using a Jazzy cuz you're too fat to walk? Do you like going to the Dr's office to get lectures and pills?" Typically then I eat the salad. Get hungry enough and you too will like them!
    Don't give up, all changes take time. Nobody like a new routine. Good luck!
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My Inspirations

Better fashion options
    People like and trust people who are attractive

You might want to rethink why you are here.

First of all, no. This is bullsh*t. My main reasons for losing weight are to look better (read: better fashion options) and for confidence at work (read: thinner = being seen as a stronger person by being slimming, helping getting their trust)
    To the person who posted this inane comment, everyone has their own reasons for losing weight. Just people the OP's reasons don't fit into your narrow minded views, that doesn't mean they aren't viable reasons. Yes, being healthier is a good reason for weight loss, but for myself - and possibly others - it's more a side effect rather than a goal. Grow up.

To the OP, let's give you some recipes!

Mac n cheese (This one isn't quick, but it is easy, it has 'hidden' vegetables plus it makes 6 portions, so you can keep it in the freezer in portions until you want it!)

300g butternut squash, finely diced
    75g onion, diced
    3 rashers thick smoked bacon, cut into squares
    3 rashers thick unsmoked bacon, cut into squares
    30ml vegetable oil
    50g butter (or substitute, I used Bertolli)
    50g plain flour
    550ml skimmed milk
    300g pasta (I used white pasta, but wholemeal should work just as well!)
    120g mozzerella
    100g cheddar

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and cook the bacon until just crispy. Put it in a bowl lined with paper towel to absorb the oil. Keep the bacon-y oil in the pan, and add the squash and onion. Cook until soft and slightly brown. Mash with a fork, but leave some texture.
    Boil water and cook the pasta until al-dente, and drain.
    Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat then stir in the flour until a light brown. Slowly pour in the milk, and whisk at all times to avoid lumps. Once all the milk is added, simmer for a minute or two to thicken the roux, then mix in all but one handful of the cheese.
    Stir the squash, bacon and pasta into the sauce until everything is combined evenly. Pour into a baking pan and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Bake at 180-200 C for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.

Nutrition per serving:
    549 calories
    52g carbs
    27g fat (9.9g saturates)
    26g protein
    2.3g fibre

One portion of this should fill you up nicely! You can drop the fat macros by using oil spray rather than oil, and using low fat cheeses, but even so, it's not too bad for a good meal!

Chicken nuggets
    1 chicken breast, cut into chunks
    30g rice crispies (not sugar coated)
    1 egg white
    Oil spray
    Seasoning

Crush the crispies and add seasoning. Beat the egg white. Dip each chunk of chicken into the egg white then the crispies. Place on a sprayed baking tray. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes.
    Nice and easy!

With cereal, try less sugary options. Also measure the portions out, and use skimmed milk rather than full fat.
    Poptarts, simply eat one instead of two, and have them as a treat rather than everyday. But never give up on Poptarts!

If there's any other ready meals you eat, let me know and I can see if I've made a substitute!
  • MalachiDraven
    MalachiDraven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm very surprised at all the responses here. I didn't think there would be so many this quickly. Thanks for all the really great advice! I'll definitely be trying a lot of the recommendations that you all gave.
    My Inspirations

Better fashion options

First of all, no. This is bullsh*t. My main reasons for losing weight are to look better (read: better fashion options) and for confidence at work (read: thinner = being seen as a stronger person by being slimming, helping getting their trust)
    To the person who posted this inane comment, everyone has their own reasons for losing weight. Just people the OP's reasons don't fit into your narrow minded views, that doesn't mean they aren't viable reasons. Yes, being healthier is a good reason for weight loss, but for myself - and possibly others - it's more a side effect rather than a goal. Grow up.

Thanks, mate! I know my reasons may be unorthodox and even seem a little shallow, but they're definitely legitimate reasons for wanting to get in shape.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is to learn to season your food. I'm not a veggie fan at all, but they are palatable when I use seasonings such as garlic pepper, lemon pepper, and other seasonings that I like. Bland veggies do NOT taste good. But as for preparation, you can buy steamable bags that you throw in the microwave. When they're done, dump them in a bowl and drizzle a LITTLE olive oil, season, and toss to coat. Chicken breasts or tenderloins pop easily into the oven (put in a baking dish on 350 degrees; start with 20 minutes and then check for doneness). Just season them, as well. Same with fish such as tilapia and salmon (just look for wild caught, not farm-raised). That's been my biggest secret for eating this stuff is to season everything!

You can also make small substitutions. Use center-cut bacon instead of regular bacon (less fat, but it's still bacon, unlike that turkey bacon stuff...yuck!). You can also cook bacon in the oven (put it on 375 and lay bacon on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet and cook until desired crispiness). Switch to honey wheat bread (I don't like plain wheat bread, so I use the honey wheat, a small compromise). I'm also not a fan of whole wheat pasta, so I use the veggie-based pasta (it's made from tomatoes, carrots, and spinach, but tastes just like regular pasta). Watch portion control, though.

Get yourself some baked potato chips, pretzels, etc., for the munchies. Also, nuts are good for you. Dill pickles are basically a free food because they are so low-calorie, but limit consumption due to high sodium.

For sweets, buy some fat-free or sugar-free ice cream. You can also put some fruit in a blender with a little lime or lemon juice and make popsicles (you can buy cheap popsicle molds at Walmart, Target, etc.). A little bit of dark chocolate is okay, but watch consumption (I love chocolate, so I have to be careful not to let one piece start me down the road toward eating the whole bag in one sitting!).

You don't really have to do major cooking to eat healthy foods. Just some simple changes and simple cooking can give you what you need. The key is seasoning; nothing tastes good when it's bland.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have to stop being so focused on taste, and be more focused on the reason you're here. You're here to become healthy, now if you have to force yourself to eat a veggie a day, then so be it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can cook breakfast, same thing everyday, oatmeal loaded with fruit and nuts.
    I can place lettuce guac and chicken in a wrap or eat some grilled chicken out for lunch.

But my wife can cook extremely well. My favorite when trying to lose weight was spaghetti squash. Half it and microwave it upside down in some shallow water I think. Fork out the squash, it even looks like spaghetti and put Newman's own marinara on it and some sauteed veggies mixed in. Filling, tastes great and comes in at a whopping 250 calories if my memory is correct. I would lose a pound or two the next morning every time.

To the OP, I always hated veggies too. I don't know if its my tastes changing or the way they are prepared now but I now I like them. I even have dropped the "loaded" baked potato when eating at the steakhouse and get the mixed grilled veggies. You can eat a good steak & veggies for under 500 calories but you need to tell them not to bring that damn bread. Good luck.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Your battle starts at the grocery store. Change what you have in the house. If there are no poptarts in the house, you can't eat them.

Plan your grocery list. Since you want food to be very easy, learn what is just as fast or even faster than your present food choices.

Here's a relatively healthy meal idea that takes only a few minutes.

Stick an iron grill pan or skillet in the oven set to 400F. While it heats up, divide 85/35 ground beef into thick burgers. Wrap the ones you don't plan to cook today in the freezer for later use. Even lazier? Buy pre-shaped patties.

Do you like cheese? Form the burger with a lump of cheese inside. The easiest way to make a cheeseburger by far. (gleaned from Diners, Driveins & Dives)

Put some salt and pepper on the burger if you like.

Pot hot? Okay, put the burger on the hot pot and shove back in the oven for 5 minutes. Throw a bag of frozen nuke-in-bag veggies in the microwave. These also take about 5 minutes. Or shove an ear of corn in the microwave.

At 5 minutes, flip the burger and cook another 5. Take a bag of pre-cut salad greens and pour a bunch of it in a bowl. Toss it with some bottled dressing.

Voila. A grown up meal in the same amount of time it would have taken to microwave mac'n'cheese.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm very surprised at all the responses here. I didn't think there would be so many this quickly. Thanks for all the really great advice! I'll definitely be trying a lot of the recommendations that you all gave.
    My Inspirations

Better fashion options

Thanks, mate! I know my reasons may be unorthodox and even seem a little shallow, but they're definitely legitimate reasons for wanting to get in shape.

My pleasure! Everyone's doing this for their own reasons. Judging others for having reasons they don't think are valid is ridiculous and basically rude!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You start eating healthily, like green salads, vegis and fresh fruit and you will learn to love them. In fact you can get addicted to them, and eventually you will choose them over pop tarts. You just have to keep eating them.

I agree with the above, maybe replace a part of your meal with something healthy each day like a piece of fruit, or a salad for lunch. you could even buy a crock pot and make those super easy over night recipes, that usually consists of tossing some kind of meat and veggies and seasoning into it and letting it cook. You could also do what another poster said and just track your foods your eating now in general to see how much you can eat of those foods and still maintain a healthy loss. everyone is different, so just take small steps and soon then be healthy habits for life.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You start eating healthily, like green salads, vegis and fresh fruit and you will learn to love them. In fact you can get addicted to them, and eventually you will choose them over pop tarts. You just have to keep eating them.
    Yes! The new study discussed in this thread - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1425718-new-study-train-your-brain-to-prefer-healthier-food - confirms this. We can acquire new food preferences. We aren't doomed to the same likes and dislikes for life!