do calories gained from exercise count?

Options
im on 1500 cals I think? was just wondering should I eat the calories I gained from exercise or ignore them? what works?

Replies

• africanmasq
    Options
    It's up to you, really. If you're having a hard time eating at a deficit, exercising to earn more calories can give you some wiggle room. But if you're managing to eat at a deficit and you're coping, feel free to eat back your exercise calories...just be aware the MFP overestimates how many calories you burn in exercise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yes you should. It is commonly agreed that MFP overestimates calls burnt, so I recommend only eating back about 2/3 of what it gives you.
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    thanks I thought it looked like too much calories burnt!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I ate mine back and my husband didnt and he would lose twice as much as i did.
  • GeorgieS1983
    Options
    I've just started doing this and I won't be eating back my calories. But also noticed the difference in calories burnt estimation. I've dusted off my heart rate monitor and I will change the calories burnt to match what I have actually burnt. Can make a big difference as it said I'd burn 758 calories in a gym class and I actually only burnt 622.
    It all comes down to the results you want to achieve and how much weight you wish to lose.
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't count the calories burned in exercise to be honest, because I think that it is a slippery slope. Although I do sometimes take them into account when I'm training REALLY hard (I'm talking anything over a half marathon!). To be honest, I think of exercise's main function as to keep my body looking "pretty" and not like a skinny fat dieter's, and also to give my calories a marginal leeway (e.g. not the end of the world if I'm ravenous after my fast (IF) and decide I want to eat 30g bran flakes rather than 20g! Hope I helped :)
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    ive changed my calories to 1200 a day so I don't have to do maths so much everyday to calculate 2/3 cal burned or 60% lol