Gym Classes!

Baby_Belles
Baby_Belles Posts: 39
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey All,

New here. And about to go par take in some classes at the gym (Zumba, Spinning, RPM, Yoga) The only ones I've been to are Yoga so far, going to any class is intimidating for me because I feel so much larger than everyone in there.

Anyway just wondering everyone else's experience in classes, are they worth it, how many calories do you generally burn. I goto Gold's too fyi.

Thanks!

Replies

• I used to take Body Pump religiously until my gym moved around the class schedule. The time's just aren't convenient for me anymore. But it was a blast, and very challenging! The trainers who teach the class say that you burn between 300-400 calories in a 1 hour class. I've also taken half of an RPM class, but I have terrible sciatica, so being on a stationary bike just about killed me. I got a good workout in the 20 minutes I was doing it though (don't know how many calories I burned).

Leah :happy:
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    I've always had great experiences in the classes I've taken at my gym so far (I work out at Powerhouse Gym). So far I've done Power Spin, Boxing, and Krav Maga (Israeli Martial Arts). I don't have a heart rate monitor, so it's been hard for me to calculate the exact number of calories burned, but I can say that my weight loss has accelerated since I've started taking the classes. They all pretty much focus on interval training, so my metabolism stays way up long after my class is over. And each class has a level of variety to it, so your never doing too much of the same thing.

I imagine the experience at Golds would be similar. I'd strongly recommend trying a whole bunch of them and see which ones you like. Classes like Boxing, Kickboxing, and Martials Arts are great because not only are they great workouts, but they teach you important self defense skills that could come in handy.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    I have taken quite a few classes at my gym. I love the hour spin. I usually produce about 100 or so watts, which with my weight and height is around 487 calories burned. Not bad.

I love the boxing because it's interval with cardio and strength training. The kickboxing is similar. Yoga is hard for me because I'm very new to it and I am usually the largest person in the class as well. I also have weaker wrists and even the downward dog is extremely hard sometimes to hold for very long. I am going to keep trying as I want the strength to increase and I desperately need to work on my flexibility.

Otherwise, Zumba is super popular, fun and burns a good deal of calories (so I've been told). I have the Zumba Wii game and I work up a great sweat after only 10 minutes. I think an hour class would work you pretty hard.
  • I got to Spin class (RPM) 3 times a week and love it!!!
  • I do zumba almost every day (pre-injury) and I LOVE it. I was the girl in the back of the class, on my first day, feeling like the biggest girl in the room. only took about a week before I moved my way toward the front. it's about have fun and i realized i couldn't care less what the other people in the room think of me shaking my *kitten*.

try it! you'll be hooked :)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Go to classes dont worry about what others are thinking of you. Most people doing classes are in the same boat as you. Group fitness is a great way to go. Dont be intimidated. They are probably thinking the same thing. Just go in do it and feel good
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    I agree just go to classes you will feel awesome! I liked spinning 3 times a week and a lift class 3 times a week. The lift is a lighter cardio but using barbells and dumbells. Awesome class!
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    I would totally recommend taking every class that you have an interest in at least once. You never know what you're going to love and finding something you enjoy is the key to making this a lifestyle change! I love yoga, but I don't think that it is worth my time calorie-burning wise. Kickboxing is awesome! I've burned up to 800 calories in an hour doing that. I've also done Zumba and liked it.

I've thought about doing a spin class, but I think it might hurt my butt too much, lol.

Don't worry about your size or compare yourself to anyone in the class! You're working out for you! Plus, I think it's inspiring to see people of all shapes and sizes working out. We can all do it!
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Try spinning - everyone is working so hard they aren't paying attention to anyone else. I've been spinning for 3 months now and am addicted. Be sure to give it a couple weeks. Your quads will be screaming the day after your first class but they get strong quickly. It's a great workout!!
  • I highly recommend spinning since it's lower impact than running. I also teach the class so I have a motivation to recommend it. :)

re: butt hurting
    Your bum will be sore after a couple of classes or so just because it's not a regular motion you do in your daily life, unless you ride outside regularly. As an initial investment, you can get gel seats (Walmart, Target, BIG 5) for about $20-$30.00. You can also purchase padded bike shorts but those are more expensive. I say, purchase the shorts if you have decided to commit to spinning as an activity.

Also, don't give up on spinning if your first class sucks eggs. It could be the instructor's style or his/her music. Some instructors love hills, some prefer not to sit. Some like to only play techno music (AAAAAAH!). Find the instructor who fits your style the best.

First spinning class tips:
    1) bring lots of water
    2) eat 30 minutes before - half a banana is perfect. Provided enough carbs, light and has potassium to prevent cramping during those high-speed intervals.
    3) towel, you will sweat
    4) no worries about buying spin/bike shoes. Your closed-toe, cross-training shoes are fine. Only invest on these shoes if you know you will stick with the sport. Most spin bikes are Shimano SPD style pedals.
    5) comfortable workout clothes with good chest support
    6) MOST IMPORTANT: Raise your hand when the instructor asks if anyone's new with the class. He/she will bike fit you and will give you extra tips.

I agree with everyone who has responded though.

1) Don't worry about your size. Seriously, everyone else is caring about themselves. Only the instructor checks up on you specially if you are new to the class. I particularly pay special attention to newbies for safety reasons.

2) Try other classes no matter how "weird" it looks. You may find that the schedule and the style fit you better. And choose at least 2 different classes or routines to change your pace. The body gets more efficient the longer it stays on one sport. Change it up a bit.

Good luck!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Trust us when we say this, absolutely everyone else is more worried about how they look. (although they probably look like they are looking at you, they arent, they will checking their technique in any mirrors that are handy).

The teacher should ask is anyone new so they know to give basic instructions to for your health and safety.
  • Wow! Thanks so much everyone for all the fast feedback! I'm really excited and amped to go now, haha. Can someone tell me the difference between just a regular spinning class and an RPM class?
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    I highly recommend spinning since it's lower impact than running. I also teach the class so I have a motivation to recommend it. :)

re: butt hurting
    Your bum will be sore after a couple of classes or so just because it's not a regular motion you do in your daily life, unless you ride outside regularly. As an initial investment, you can get gel seats (Walmart, Target, BIG 5) for about $20-$30.00. You can also purchase padded bike shorts but those are more expensive. I say, purchase the shorts if you have decided to commit to spinning as an activity.

Also, don't give up on spinning if your first class sucks eggs. It could be the instructor's style or his/her music. Some instructors love hills, some prefer not to sit. Some like to only play techno music (AAAAAAH!). Find the instructor who fits your style the best.

First spinning class tips:
    1) bring lots of water
    2) eat 30 minutes before - half a banana is perfect. Provided enough carbs, light and has potassium to prevent cramping during those high-speed intervals.
    3) towel, you will sweat
    4) no worries about buying spin/bike shoes. Your closed-toe, cross-training shoes are fine. Only invest on these shoes if you know you will stick with the sport. Most spin bikes are Shimano SPD style pedals.
    5) comfortable workout clothes with good chest support
    6) MOST IMPORTANT: Raise your hand when the instructor asks if anyone's new with the class. He/she will bike fit you and will give you extra tips.

I agree with everyone who has responded though.

1) Don't worry about your size. Seriously, everyone else is caring about themselves. Only the instructor checks up on you specially if you are new to the class. I particularly pay special attention to newbies for safety reasons.

2) Try other classes no matter how "weird" it looks. You may find that the schedule and the style fit you better. And choose at least 2 different classes or routines to change your pace. The body gets more efficient the longer it stays on one sport. Change it up a bit.

Good luck!

This is exactly right (obviously, you instruct so you should be). My first spin class was 45 minutes and I was looking at the clock after 5 minutes. It was torture. The music was awful and I just hated it. I kept going back on different days (I never knew why I insisted on going back when I kept hating it. Lol). After one particular class I felt absolutely fantastic. I had kept up with the instructor the entire class and sweated my butt off. It was awesome!

I finally figured out that it was the instructors, their music and the layout of the workout. I prefer hills and I prefer not to sit the entire class. So now I know which instructors don't play techno, like to come out of the seat and add resistance consistently throughout.

I spin at least once to three times per week for an hour each class and I love it. I'm getting stronger and my butt doesn't even hurt anymore. It's awesome! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.