What do you use in place of syrup on your french toast?!

Options
ready4change
ready4change Posts: 151 Member
I'm stuck... I love french toast, but the syrup just RUINS the calorie count! What do you use in place of syrup for a healthier substitute?! I'd love any and all suggestions, no matter how random. =)

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    fresh fruit or fruit heavy jams. or maybe just a sprinkling of icing sugar? not sure how high the calories are on icing sugar.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use the sugar free syrup - it's a little thinner, but less calories..
  • DSweatte
    Options
    Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free syrup taste like the real thing...only 20 calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    IHOP has a dish with bananas instead of syrup on French toast. It is really good! If you want something more syrup-y, you can always saute some bananas with a bit of brown sugar to top the French toast with. It would still be better for you than syrup.
  • stinago
    Options
    Recently I've been using frozen fruit. I buy this mixed berry blend or just frozen raspberries. Just pop 1/2 cup in the microwave until they're soft and the juice is out. I usually sprinkle on a pinch of sugar (not enough to blow the calories) to sweeten it up a little :)
  • cjnorman
    Options
    If you are making the french toast put the flavor into the coating. I load the egg wash up with cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. Then I only use butter on the toast after it is cooked.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I use lite syrup or sugar free. And I don't use that much, just enough to get some flavor..has less calories than you'd think, especially if you make french toast with yummy, low calorie bread!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Fat free Greek yogurt and / or fruit.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There is an AMAZING sugar free syrup that is a little difficult to find, called "Joseph's." We live in the Chicago area, and a local restaurant called Walker Brothers always uses it and sells it over the counter. It is also available via Amazon, but then you need to deal with shipping costs, etc. It is made with maltitol instead of sugar or aspartame/Splenda, etc. It is every bit as thick as Mrs. Butterworth's, and the taste is very similar to Log Cabin or any of the other regular syrups. I actually buy it by the case, since we like it so much.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I use maple syrup- actually I go out and get the wicked nice brands- like for real from Vermont or Canada serious-*kitten* syrup (I don't joke around about my syrup ) and I put it in a little cup on the side and dunk each bite in so I don't eat more than 2 tbsp.

But if you are looking for a replacement- I like drizzled honey or agave nectar and berries (raspberries are my fave)
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    agave nectar
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Joseph's sugar free syrup is thick and yummy, and very few calories.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for all of the suggections! I just went from not having any idea what to substitute to having to make a choice! I'm excited for supper now! (I love having breakfast for supper as a special treat every now and then!)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't eat french toast, but whenever I go to IHOP for pancakes, I always ask for Cary's Sugar-Free Syrup. Only 30 calories I think... Maybe it was 15... For 1/4 cup. Tastes better than regular syrup in my opinion.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you only use like a tablespoon of syrup it isn't that bad
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You have to buy sugar free syrup!! I do not notice ANY taste difference and it's totally cheap with the calories!

You can use it to sweeten all sorts of things - I use it to sweeten my tea too.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This fall I made some apple butter. All that's in it is apples and spices (although the store bought brands are usually full of sugar as well). It's a lot thicker than apple sauce but not as thick as syrup. That is really good on pancakes or french toast.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Sugar free syrup is sold right next to the regular syrup.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Applesauce is fantastic on french toast. Or, cooking a cup of frozen berries with 1-2 Tbls of maple syrup is delicious as well.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Sugar-free syrup (I actually like it better) and/or ground cinnamon :love: