My weight loss has stalled!

Options
I have not lost much if any weight the past several weeks. My eating habits have not changed and am still staying slightly under on my calories everyday. I did add 1 cup of 1% chocolate milk to my diet each day though, I was never a milk drinker growing up (allergic) and wasn't getting enough dairy. Two weeks ago I did start the C25K. I have been doing that on Mon/Wed/Fri, swimming laps on Tues/Thurs/Sun. I also walk a mile or two each day. Am I getting too much excerise or am I gaining muscle? I really want to keep losing!

Replies

• patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Can't really get too much exercise...Sometimes when I hit a plateau in weight loss I have a day where I might be a little less strict about the food I eat...So I might eat a little more "naughty" (seems fitting for this time of year - naughty and nice)

That seems to "jumpstart" my metabolism...And yes it is true though that it could also be adding more muscle mass since muscle is more dense than fat.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    do you eat your exercise calories? if not, try that. you can zigzag your cals too - eat more one day, less the next.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Are you losing inches?
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Yes, I do eat my exercise calories. I measured this morning and no loss there either. I am stuck.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Also - is your goal reasonable / obtainable? Don't know your height. I upped my goal 10 lbs to make it obtainable then reeval if I think I can make that 10 lb lower mark or not. I have a feeling my body will be more comfortable higher and I'd have to do extreme exercise and clean eating to get lower.
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with the zigzag of calories. Your body may just be comfortable and need to have some variety.
    Also, how's your water intake?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of factors in this: How long has it stalled for? If it's a week or two- it's just your body adjusting to your weightloss so far (skin and organs have to adjust to that ). You also may be retaining water if the working out is new- your muscles need it to recover from exercise- but in the long run its good for you.

If it's longer than a month you may have hit a plateau- which is essentially the same thing except you do need to try some changes- changing your exercise routine so that your muscles aren't used to the exercises they are doing, zig-zagging your calories, making small diet changes in regards to WHAT you eat as opposed to how much- that kind of thing. But if its less than a month, you are just in a natural recovery time for your body. Just keep on keepin on.
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It just happens sometimes. I say, if you don't loose any weight OR inches for a whole month, then switch up your routine. Then, give the new routine a month to get results.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    do you track your sodium? are you drinking enough water?
    maybe you *are* overtraining.

i was working out every day and staying about the same. i sprained my ankle and was forced to rest....the weight started falling off. i lost about 6 pounds in the past 3 weeks (just getting back into the gym late last week)
  • elmerf1234
    Options
    I have been on an exercise program for over a year now and have lost 100 lbs. No special secret pill here. Just watch your calories and stay consistant by doing the work. What you do have to do, is change up your routines in terms of exercise and food intake. This will fool your body and not make it think its the same old same old. Even with this, expect an occasional plateau or so. Its normal. 362 l days later and I am 100 pounds lighter. I am 53. If i can do it anyone can. Good luck!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with "elmerf1234" - watch the calories, gotta burn more than yu take in. Stalling is normal, especially around "that time" for women. If it lasts longer try switching up your exercise routine. You may not be burning as many calories as you think because your body is getting used to what you're doing. Regardless - stick with it because if you give up in frustration you definitely won't lose and probably will gain back whatever you've lost and then some!

Good luck!
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I think I may have been eating too few so I upped my calories and actually went over a couple of days. I am hoping this will help me to get back on track and start losing again. I am a little worried I am going to gain weight though....Let me know how everything goes for you and what if anything works for you!!
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When my weight stalled, one day I ate what I wanted within reason (maybe a 2000 calorie day vs my usual 1200).....the week later the lbs started to melt off again. It confuses your body...

When you stall it is because your body is in starvation mode. So by eating more one day it thinks everything is back to normal and the the following day you go back on your new life style change and it produces a shock to your metabolism.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Also - is your goal reasonable / obtainable? Don't know your height. I upped my goal 10 lbs to make it obtainable then reeval if I think I can make that 10 lb lower mark or not. I have a feeling my body will be more comfortable higher and I'd have to do extreme exercise and clean eating to get lower.

Agreed with this as well. I have a lot of muscle and I'd have to lose most of it to reach the lowest of my height which I don't want.