gaining weight on a calorie deficit!???

Options
Hi everyone,
So as the title says this week I've actually put 2lbs on and I've been on a 1000 calorie deficit everyday apart from one day which I maintained. Im noting everything down religiously and I don't even count the exercise i do which is heavy lifting and cardio 3 times a week.

How Is this possible? The only thing I can think of is my micro nutritions as I find it difficult to meet them I'm usually under on protein and over on carbs but still I'm on target with the calories and thats the most important thing has anyone experienced this or know why this could be?

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Open your diary please
  • persianprince88
    Options
    Sorry I didnt realise it was locked should be open now
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food? measuring all your liquids? or just guesstimating?
    Have you started a new workout routine?
    Have you had a bowel movement recently?

Chances are you are eating more than you think you are.

Although, I can swing 3-5lbs in a day.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle gain. I think. Or you eat too low and are in starvation mode.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Muscle doesn't really grow very fast, and it's almost impossible during a deficit. Starvation mode won't apply as he is eating.

OP, considering you carb load most of your days, its probably glycogen/water storage. I would recommend adding more fats and protein and dropping some of the carbs. Not only will the improve satiety, the protein will help with muscle retention.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Be careful when logging your food in selecting correct entries. On one day you have 2 different entries for lemon chicken, one is marked as homemade, is that your recipe or one that was in the database? If it's someone else's you have no idea what they put in that recipe to create it.

On the 2nd you were over calories by 1500... and really high on sodium which can cause water retention

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Looks to be a lot of carbs, maybe try swapping a lot of those carbs for protein and a bit more fat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work that way, you don't "magically" gain muscle (especially at a deficit) and starvation mode doesn't exist!
    OP You are probably retaining water as your muscles hold on to it when they are repairing (you said heavy lifting).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,091 Member
    Options
    OP are we talking about 1 isolated week of gaining 2lb?

If so, that happens to everyone at so e time - there are weeks of losing, weeks of the same and,yes, weeks of gaining.

As long as the overall trend is downwards, 1 week is not a problem.