Can't reach 1200 goal calories per day (losing weight)

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sorry but if you're not restricting or eliminating foods and you can't eat 1200 calories then you need to plan better. Simple.

And I always question how macros could possibly be met at 1200 calories. Adequate nutrition at that small amount is hard to come by, unless you're going low-carb or something like that. I'd be eating chicken breast and fish at every meal if I had that many calories to work with.

If you're NETTING 1200 calories, well then, that's workable.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    How do you get to 230lbs if you can't eat 1200 calories a day?

Exactly my thought!

I can easily, easily eat 2,000 + calories in a day. The reason, I think, is psychological. Here's why: if you're used to eating a meal at like a McDonalds or similar - it's easily a 1,200 calorie meal, for the most part. And if you have a person who is this weight and is going from eating 3,000 calories (let's say) a day of crap to eating 1,400 calories a day of nutritious healthy food then her mind is saying, hold up the QUANTITY of food is much greater because you can get a lot of good stuff in for only 1,400 calories and her body is used to having huge quantities of calories on a small quantity of food.

However, I would harbour a guess that it's one or both of two things: you're eating way more than you think you are or you're not burning as much as you think you are. If you're using MFP to estimate calorie burn, it will over estimate by quite a bit so that should be taken into consideration too.

Good luck! Feel free to add me - I am 5'9 and weighed 320 lbs in November 2012 when I started this. I have lost about 70lbs and still have 80 to go. I know the feeling and I know the journey :)

Edited for my really bad spelling :(
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You've been on since December and you've lost 7 pounds. You are probably eating more than you think. Weigh and measure, its the only way to be accurate.
    I never ceases to amaze me how heavy people who must have eaten quite a bit to get to the weight they are are suddenly "incapable" of eating enough
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    add a serving of olive oil to your smoothy, won't even taste it or a serving of peanut butter will get you there...............
  • Returnsnull
    Options
    Can you make your diet diary public so we can see what you're actually eating? Also, are you measuring your food or just guessing? Hitting 1200 calories a day is extremely easy to do, unless you're eating salads without dressing.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The meals you describe are very similar to what I ate during the 9 months that I lost most of my weight. The only issue I have is that you're "feeling guilty" about eating more. If you start feeling guilty or deprived, it will be very hard to stick with it. If you're hungry, you have to eat more. A person cannot go through life feeling hungry.

You will find many people go at you for "eating too little" or "starvation mode". IGNORE THEM!!! If you're feeling full and have energy, just continue doing what you are.

Good luck!
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Hello Hun, I have similar issue. Myou are not alone. I am 244 and 32.
    Last night after dinner I ended at 990 calories ate for the day. I decided to treat my self with a cup of sherbet icecream. This put me at 1210 I think it was.
    I usually try to have a small snack between meals. Like a few crackers with peanut butter, a cup of grapes, yogurt, or maybe a 100 calorie snack pack.

Hi, I started a couple of weeks ago to limit myself to between 1200 and 1300 calories per day (I'm female, aged 20, 230 pounds and 5ft 8) with my aim to lose around 4 stone over time. But I can't seem to eat enough calories per day even though it feels like I'm eating loads, and I tend to go for a 30 min run nearly every day (normally 6 times a week) so I should really be eating over 1300.
    I have never liked eating much in the mornings, so breakfast is usually quite late and I'll have a banana and skimmed milk smoothie. Then lunch will be either a tuna mayo salad or a boiled egg salad with a rice cracker or something like that, then I'll have a piece of fruit in the afternoon and dinner will be chicken/fish and veg with some yoghurt afterwards. In all, this adds up to about 1100 calories a day (unless I am adding completely the wrong quantities!), but if I eat more than this I feel guilty and like it's too much food. Is it ok to continue eating like this if my body is coping fine with it, and if not how do I eat more when I feel full? Thank you!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You've been on since December and you've lost 7 pounds. You are probably eating more than you think. Weigh and measure, its the only way to be accurate.
    I never ceases to amaze me how heavy people who must have eaten quite a bit to get to the weight they are are suddenly "incapable" of eating enough

I see how this can perplex people. Here's the thing though. They aren't lying or even trying to be showy. It is possible to be heavy, to find yourself with a new plan, and not feel the need to eat 1200 calories, or even feel satisfied with less. It is not made up and it is possible. But what it is is temporary. You'll see people being amazed at how they can feel satisfied for a day or two on 1200 calories. But its unlikely you'll see anyone overweight and relatively new to a lifestyle change saying they've been following 1200 calories for a month and have never felt hunger.

OP- I'll validate your expression. I'll also warn you that its not sustainable. You will be far more successful if you find the right calories that can sustain you every day. There are some great tips in here about getting them in. Follow your body's cues. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat. But don't deprive yourself out of guilt. Parse out those calories (somebody can provide a link here for figuring out the correct number for you- I bet its higher than 1200) and eat them anyway. If its about feeling full, then eat something more calorie dense. Nuts, dairy, nut butter. If you feel you've already hit other macros, have some ice cream. Or bacon. Or bacon dipped in ice cream :)

You'll find your rhythm soon enough. Embrace it when you do. Steady flows rather than peaks and valleys is what is most sustainable.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options

Did you read any of the posts explaining it then?

I wrote one myself back on first page after someone else already asked this question
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Did you read any of the posts explaining it then?

I wrote one myself back on first page after someone else already asked this question

This is an example where the "moderation" argument actually makes sense.

Most people can't subsist on chicken and broccoli, so add a cupcake at the end of the day.

Although, for the very overweight, being a bit under isn't something to be concerned about. As far as the "you can't get your nutrition" line of thinking goes, they most probably weren't meeting their macros previously, anyway (just huge amounts of carbs).
  • Returnsnull
    Options
    This is less about nutrition (a multivitamin can help there) and more about keeping protein intake high to help preserve lean body mass.
    As far as the "you can't get your nutrition" line of thinking goes, they most probably weren't meeting their macros previously, anyway (just huge amounts of carbs).
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    Last night after dinner I ended at 990 calories ate for the day. I decided to treat my self with a cup of sherbet icecream. This put me at 1210 I think it was.
    I usually try to have a small snack between meals. Like a few crackers with peanut butter, a cup of grapes, yogurt, or maybe a 100 calorie snack pack.

I'm more curious than anything . . . if you're 244 - which is within 15lbs of where I am - how the heck do you end up at 990 calories AFTER dinner? Unless this was net calories?

I eat 1,000 before I leave work. Granted that's not net because I go to the gym in the morning but still - my breakfast, lunch and snacks are around 1,100 every day.

I can't imagine only eat 990 for the whole day . . . does this include workout/exercise?
  • Matilda1396
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I never ceases to amaze me how heavy people who must have eaten quite a bit to get to the weight they are are suddenly "incapable" of eating enough"
    [/quote]

Because, as said above, eating a small portion of pasta can equal 500 calories but you would have to eat a lot of fruit/veg foods to eat 500 cals worth. So it feels like I'm eating a lot more because the healthier food contains less calories individually
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm more curious than anything . . . if you're 244 - which is within 15lbs of where I am - how the heck do you end up at 990 calories AFTER dinner? Unless this was net calories?

I eat 1,000 before I leave work. Granted that's not net because I go to the gym in the morning but still - my breakfast, lunch and snacks are around 1,100 every day.

I can't imagine only eat 990 for the whole day . . . does this include workout/exercise?
    It actually isn't that hard, especially if you don't eat much in the morning. So if you only have a banana in the morning and concentrate on lunch and dinner, then each meal could be 400 calories (not hard when it's smaller portions of lean meats and all fruits/veggies). I think one of the main issues, especially when new, is there is a stigma or perception that XX food is unhealthy such as red meats or starchy carbs. It's similar thought processes that try to identify sugars, refined foods or even fats as bad.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "I never ceases to amaze me how heavy people who must have eaten quite a bit to get to the weight they are are suddenly "incapable" of eating enough"

Because, as said above, eating a small portion of pasta can equal 500 calories but you would have to eat a lot of fruit/veg foods to eat 500 cals worth. So it feels like I'm eating a lot more because the healthier food contains less calories individually

If you want quote a person, you can just hit the quote button below their reply. And if it makes you feel better, it never ceases to amaze me when posters don't read the whole post before answering :laugh:
  • Returnsnull
    Options
    Are you measuring (weighing) your food? You really don't have to eat that much, one average banana alone will set you back 100 calories or so. Approximately the same for an apple.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The calories aren't a problem, but the guilt is an issue. Consider speaking to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, even if you don't have one. They can help you work through your issues about food so that you can do whatever you do without feeling guilty. Good luck. :)
  • acorsaut89
    Options

It actually isn't that hard, especially if you don't eat much in the morning. So if you only have a banana in the morning and concentrate on lunch and dinner, then each meal could be 400 calories (not hard when it's smaller portions of lean meats and all fruits/veggies). I think one of the main issues, especially when new, is there is a stigma or perception that XX food is unhealthy such as red meats or starchy carbs. It's similar thought processes that try to identify sugars, refined foods or even fats as bad.

I am not talking about a stigma around foods . . . that isn't my issue.

My issue is this: unless you are a 5'0 80 year old woman, this isn't enough food. And I am definitely not even hinting at starvation mode, I am talking about enough calories to keep your body running. I'm a 5'9 ~250 lb woman and my BMR is closer to 2,000 so I could eat that and still lose weight. I know for people who have a lot of lose you can cut under when when you start closing in on those kinds of numbers and you need to find food just to hit 1,200 it's slightly dangerous to your vital organs and your body's functions. I know it won't be right away, right away you'll lose weight but long term . . . not healthy. I have a hard time with women who think they should only eat 1,200 calories and set their goals accordingly. You need what your body needs, and that's going to be different than what my body needs or the next person's body needs.

You can eat veggies to your heart's content but you cannot sustain yourself on veggies for the rest of your life - great option and addition to food but low to zero protein content. If you have a lot of weight to lose, there's a "stigma" that you need to lose it as quick as possible, wake up tomorrow and you're a size 2. This isn't going to happen and setting your goals to this low is setting someone up for failure - women who lose a lot of weight really quickly will more than likely gain it back and then some, also known as a yo yo diet. The best, best, best thing you can do is simply moderate your intake. I didn't cut any foods - I started exercising (inlcuding spin classes and heavy lifting) and I eat proper portions and I don't cut foods. If I go over on my calories one day then I log it and move on. I don't stress over it and freak out. By eating normal portions of regular food and not going on these drastic diets, it's easier to maintain and if I want to eat some McDonalds, I'm going to eat it because by depriving myselg I will only crave it more and then I will end up eating like 2 quarter pounders or something.

You need proper nutritional portions and starving yourself (which when you're used to a 3,000 calorie a day diet is what this new diet is doing) you will be so miserable. If your caloric intake was high before, slowly lower it. That way, your body keeps getting the shock factor, so you don't plateau, and you won't be grumpy or miserable or spending hours thinking about what you "can't" eat.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eat more food that is higher in calories. If you are restricting a bunch of foods then don't. We didn't become obese by not being able to eat.

I agree with this. You should try adding higher calorie foods into your diet. You should think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. You don't want to restrict yourself too much to the point that you are over thinking about it.