Carb loading prior to race

Options
I'm running my first 15km race in a week and a half. I want to know what to eat prior to the race without worrying about my weight!!! I know they say many carbs but I'm scared I eat to much of it. And how long before the race should I start carb loading?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to carb load before a 15 km. Just eat as you normally do before your runs.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 15km race in a week and a half. I want to know what to eat prior to the race without worrying about my weight!!! I know they say many carbs but I'm scared I eat to much of it. And how long before the race should I start carb loading?

Your body stores enough glycogen to go for up to two hours. If it were me and running such a short distance, I wouldn't worry about carb cycling/loading and just eat your normal way leading up to the event.

If you were running a longer distance/duration, then there is a benefit to proper carb percentage in your macros during the days leading up to the event. I wouldn't worry about it for 15km though...

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/trainer-qa-do-i-need-to-carb-load-before-a-race

http://www.livestrong.com/article/557116-running-101-what-to-eat-before-a-race/
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP: a link for you to review

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/how-do-i-fuel-early-morning-run

Have fun with the run and enjoy the day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What's your pace look like? If I'm gonna be on my feet for 2ish hours (for your race, that would be a 13-14min/mi), I just eat a hearty meal the night before, and have a banana and some water for breakfast. I assume you trained for this and experimented around with what worked so...
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't carb load at all, I was doing long runs in excess of 16 miles during my training and was eating normally the night before them (I did eat extra after to replace the calories), but would have to say (for me) there was no benefit to carb loading (unless you want an excuse to eat pasta, in which case, eat up)!!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The comments above stating there is no need to carb load for a run this short in duration are certainly correct for anyone eating a non-carb restricted diet in the run-up to the event.

I would argue that If you are on any form of carb restriction, then there is a chance that you will run low on energy stores before the end of the event. If this is the case then you don't have to do anything drastic, just shift the balance of your nutirional intake in favour of carbs for the 2 days before the race and have a nice breakfast of oats and toast on the day. There is no need to eat more total calories than maintenance on those two days, just a higher proportion of carbs.

Don't worry, carbs don't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Do you regularly consume carbohydrates? If so, eat what you normally eat and go kick asssss...............