zucchini bread lower cal

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
so how do I go about getting rid of the cup of oil my mom's zucchini bread recipe calls for? I still have a lot of zucchini. . I already cut back to half a cup of oil per 3 cups of zucchini and flour but am afraid to go lower. would adding apple sauce help moistness and binding? if so, how much.. any other ways to cut back? I also cut the sugar to half a cup. just curious..

Replies

• mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I never made zucchini bread however when I make muffin or any type of bake good, I swap most of the oil for unsweetened apple sauce. Keep a few tbsp of oil but sawp the rest.
    The applesauce really keeps it moist. My two favorite muffins recipe (carrot muffin and blueberry oats) have 1/2c to 1 c of applesauce in it and only 2 tbsp of olive oil in.
  • jerber160
    Options
    really? that'll save a ton of calories.. I'm already at 128 per 1ouce slice
  • joyangbax
    joyangbax Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have made several loaves of zucchini bread recently, I just add a little bit of oil, maybe 1/2 cup and the rest I use unsweetened applesauce, it works great and taste super good.
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I substitute 3/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce for 1 cup of oil. Very moist and it does cut down on the calories.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I was so amazed when I first learned about swapping out oil for unsweetened applesauce, but it really does work.

From the eHow website, http://www.ehow.com/how_4535777_substitute-applesauce-oil.html:

"1. Replace the vegetable oil with applesauce in baking recipes. Generally, the applesauce-for-oil substitution works in bread, muffin and cake recipes. By replacing the oil, you are removing unhealthy fats. Use natural applesauce to eliminate added sugar, as well.

2. Substitute applesauce for vegetable oil, on a one-for-one basis. For example, if the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil, substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce in its place.

3. Add 2 tbsp. oil to the recipe, if desired. While you can substitute applesauce for oil, adding a small amount of oil back in to the recipe will improve the texture of the final product."
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always bake banana bread or zucchini bread and use apple sauce instead of sugar. I use the same amount of applesauce as the recipes calls for sugar. Always moist/yummy!
  • jerber160
    Options
    well, for me..i'll go full oil... the apple sauce made these too moist... not for me