Healthy Side Dishes???....Help!

Options
My husband and I are very new to dieting. We've only been trying for about 2 weeks. We have both lost weight and are happy about our progress; however, we are running out of healthy food ideas. We eat a lot of broccoli, salads, green beans, carrots, and vegetable medleys, but all of these are getting old. We need some new ideas.

Can you list some of your favorite side dishes and maybe even how you cook or prepare them? You can even list good main dish recipes if you want...any and all is helpful!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes!! Stab 'em with a fork, pop 'em in the microwave for ~8-10 minutes. Get some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and BAM. Delectable. Sweet potato fries from the freezer section are another option if you're making, say, black bean burgers and want something that goes with "burgers". :)
  • MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We've never bought the fries, so that is definitely something I can look into. Is the spray a lot less than the actual butter? We compared "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to "Blue Bonnet Light" and found that Blue Bonnet was lower in calorie. I didn't know if the spray was even lower than the others.

Still so much to learn..............LOL
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Roasted brussel sprouts with carrots. Toss halved sprouts and carrots with olive oil and a little salt a pepper - put on a baking dish and set your oven on broil and let them cook. They take about 20 minutes or so depending on the size of the carrots and sprouts.
  • amina429
    amina429 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like to make coleslaw and veggie pancakes as sides.

Here's a good basic recipe for zucchini pancakes, and once you have the method down, you can modify it for different veggies: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-pancakes-recipe.html

Asian coleslaw: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP00201/Asian-Coleslaw.html

Five healthy slaws: http://www.slenderkitchen.com/friday-five-get-your-slaw-on/#
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Roasted peppers with olive oil. So good! You can stuff them as well, if you'd like.
  • amina429
    amina429 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also, with all the summer tomatoes, I've been making an easy tomato and cucumber salad - just chopped tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, a few fresh herbs and thinly sliced red onion if I have them, a little olive oil and red wine vinegar. So refreshing!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Zucchini topped with a little parmesan cheese and baked/broiled. Delicious!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus! Just rub a little olive oil on them and sprinkle some salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Toss them on the grill and BAM! Instant awesome!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    For ideas, I like to browse - http://www.skinnytaste.com/ The key to success (at least that I have found) is to make sustainable changes to your diet. You're not dieting, you're in a healthy way that you can maintain for the rest of your life (otherwise you risk getting to the end and then gaining it back). The recipes at skinnytaste are delicious and filling and something I can see making far into the future, even after I reach my goal weight :)

The other simple thing is that now that fall is coming, mixed roasted vegetables are a big favorite. Pick a variety of root vegetables - sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, carrots, parsnips, beets, potatoes, turnips, kohlrabi, etc - and maybe add a non root vegetable or 2, like tomatoes or brussel sprouts. Chop them up into bite sized pieces. Toss with olive oil (make sure to measure the amount and not just glug it all on. A little bit can cover a lot of vegetables). Add some herbs or spices (whatever you want, can be different every time). Maybe some garlic and onions. Roast at 400 degrees, stirring occasionally, until they reach whatever softness level you want. Yum!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i don't really look at meals as main dish, side dish etc. rather i try and find filling, tasty, well balanced meals. Many times a "side" dish is my main meal. Looking at types of foods without labels opens up a whole range of possibilities.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    We roast or grill vegetables rather than boiling or steaming (as much as possible anyway). This works great for potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and lots of others. I personally like to sprinkle them with a little curry powder or garam masala for added flavour.

A friend of mine got me hooked on a side dish his family always made: chop onion, garlic and cabbage and 1-2 slices of bacon, fry the bacon in a large pot, then throw in the rest and cook until softened. With the bacon in there, you don't need added cooking oil and I usually get 4 side servings out of 1/4- 1/2 a cabbage (depending on the size of the cabbage), so each serving only consists of 1/2 a slice of bacon...enough for flavour, not too high in calories.

I'm big on curries (you can load them up with vegetables, buy a pre-made sauce that is reasonable in calories or mix curry powder with yogurt and cook with the vegetables on low heat so the yogurt doesn't separate). I also do a lot of grilled skewers (meat of choice, onion, mushroom, green peppers, zucchini, etc.), spray lightly with oil and sprinkle on spicing of choice or make/buy a barbeque sauce that isn't too high in calories.

If you are big on grains, you can do a stir fry, curry or skewers and serve on top of bulgur wheat, brown rice, basmati rice or quinoa for a little added bulk.
  • wolfstlkr
    Options
    Roasted Red Potatos.

Red potatos diced with skin on a tin foiled lined cookie sheet.
    Then put about 2 tbsp of peanut or olive oil and seasons as desired.
    I use salt, peper and sometimes garlic.
    Mix the potatos thoroughly in the oil/season.

Bake at 425 on the LOWER rack for 30 min
    Then check to make sure they are nice and cooked
    Move them to the middle and broil on high for about 2 min till they are nice and crispy.
    Watch them carefully not to burn when on broil.

I usally have to scrape them off the tin foil which is easier than the pan.

Put them in the refrigerator for leftovers, I usally cook and entire cookie sheet (1/2 a bag of potatos) and use the left overs for days afterwards.
    Just reheat in a sealed container in the microwave for about 2 min..

Key things to remember are keep the skins on the potatos, just a small amount of oil, cooked on the low rack in the oven, and use tin foil.

It is a versitile recipe if you want an italian feel just use olive oil and italian spices, for a american french fried taste then peanut oil and just salt and peper. Try different types of potatos also.

PS if you have extra few extra calories for the day add little bacon on with 1/2 oz of colby jack cheese on top :)
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts sauteed in olive oil and chopped garlic
    Yams (the orange potatoes) cut into fries, drizzled with olive oil and baked
    sweet potatoes cut into fries with a bit of olive oil and cinnamon
    summer sqash boiled (or roasted) with butter
    cucumbers n onions in vinegar water with black pepper
    roasted asparagus drizzled with olive oil n bit of salt n cracked pepper
    peas sauteed with onions, garlic n dill n a tiny bit of vinegar
    green beans sauteed with onions, garlic n dill n a tiny bit of vinegar
    new poatoes (the tiny ones) boiled till done then add them to a cookie sheet n give them a smush lol add olive oil n bake till browned
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    now i'm hungry!! thanks all lol
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i picked up one of those vegsketti cutters and it's been one of the best kitchen gadgets i own. you can use it to turn a zucchini (or really, any other cylindrical, firm veggie) into long noodly-shapes. i will usually either just warm the "noodles" in a very lightly oiled, hot pan, or mix them into whatever sauce i'm serving.

i'll offer another vote for roasted brussels sprouts. you can also toss them with a drizzle of GOOD balsamic vinegar (good = something that costs more than $30 a bottle).

once in a while, i like to steam cauliflower till it's really soft, then mash it with roasted garlic, a little sour cream, and a little bit of cheese. it ends up with a consistency somewhere between risotto and mashed potatoes.

if you like mushrooms, pick up a couple of portobella caps, clean them (scrape out the ribs), brush with pesto, stuff with roasted red peppers or chopped sundried tomatoes, a sprinkle of cheese, and bake.
  • denise9997
    Options
    I love red quinoa. You can mix onions and/or beans in it. I have also combined it with ground turkey to make an entrée.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I second the sweet potato fries idea. One potato (per 2 people) chopped up into fries, sprayed with oil and herbs & baked for 45 mins is filling and delicious as a side to burgers, steak, or roast chicken.

We also portion out normal potatoes (they are healthy too, in the right quantity) for side dishes, or make a potato/veggie patty, or hash it up with red peppers, onions & spinach (or your fav veggies). Onion gravy is relatively low in calories (if you have it thinner) and does wonders for mashed potatoes that are bland because you can't add as much butter/salt as you'd like lol.

I also make a mean spanish rice, which is rice cooked in tomato paste/chicken stock (or simply a can of diced tomatoes), and seasoned with parsley, paprika, garlic, onion, turmeric, a dash of cumin and chili powder for a kick. You can add carrots, roasted red peppers, fresh tomatoes, etc. to kick up the veggie count.

Make your own refried beans which is just cooking beans (canned is faster, dry will need 24 hours to soak) in stock, seasoning, and mashing.

We are big carb eaters lol, but we enjoy making home-made, healthier, filling versions of food we've always enjoyed.
  • SarahRenee82
    SarahRenee82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower.....sounds strange, but once you add a tiny bit of milk and butter (yes, butter....you are saving so many calories because you aren't using potatoes that it's alright to use butter)......they taste amazingly like rich mashed potates. I add garlic too. You cook them just as you would potatoes....boil them until fork tender. Then mash them. I try not to use the stems, because I don't like them chunky.

I am also a fan of roasted seasonal veggies....carrots and butternut squash are great!!
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What's the recipe for the coleslaw pancakes?
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Me too. I love any of the grains and seeds.