Officially Obese

Options
Well, it happened. I had a wellness physical today. My doctor looked me right in the eye and told me that, medically speaking, I am considered obese. She pointed to chart and with my height and weight.....I'm OBESE.

I knew I was overweight....it was no secret. But the word Obese was like a punch to the gut.

I am 5'3" tall....I am 187 lbs.....

I have been working so hard and feeling really good. But today.....today was a very bad day. But I will not self medicate with food. I will eat my salad for lunch. I will go to the gym after work. I have something to prove now.I will go back to that doctor in 6 months and show her that I have conquered "obesity".

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I got that same news a few years ago. They also gave me a pamphlet on all the disorders and diseases that I was more susceptible to. I was in denial for a few days until I went online and checked the height, weight and body fat charts but they were right.

It motivated me to lose over 40 pounds and get down into the simply "overweight" category. I am still at it and well on my way to the upper end of "normal".
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just keep on working and you will get there. I'm 5'2.5" and weight more than you do, so I know how you feel. :smile:
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I visited my doctor in January, I weighed 182....very, very close to being obese. I was apalled. My doctor didn't seem to be concerned. Right then and there I realized it was totally up to me to change my life. Today I weigh 145....I would like to weigh a few pounds less (I am 5'6"), but I feel SO much better and can do so much more!!!! I haven't had a reason to go back to see the doctor, but I can't wait to see what her reaction is! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It can be harsh.

I was Obese II at the end of April. Now, I'm "only" overweight. About 35 more pounds to get within "normal" range.
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's hard hearing that word associated with yourself. I'm the same height and heavier, so I'm considered extremely obese. On top of that, I turn 58 next month. I've only been working on this for a few weeks, but really want to get healthier. The encouragement and motivation from others helps in knowing you're not alone. Keep up the good work!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Although I know I am, I have never had a doctor tell me. Great job on not giving into the junk to console yourself. You can do it!
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm 5'3 and my heaviest was 252 (when I started MFP in June 2014). I'm considered morbidly obese, now that's a word for you.

also at that visit I was told my A1C or sugars were high and we need to get them down, that was the kick in the *kitten* I needed.

Use the information to motivate yourself to be a healthy weight. To me especially right now I would love to be 187 ...:)

It's not always easy, but its so worth it and you can do it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I was 5'1 and 160 pounds and I was obese. I didn't feel it, but looking at the charts, I know I was (and looking back at pictures, I can definitely see it now). I am now on the low end of overweight. A few more pounds and I'll be at the high end of the normal range.

You can totally do it. I feel so much better physically and mentally. Just keep with the slow and steady, not only is it healthier physically, but it's healthier mentally.

You've got this!:wink:
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how labels control us.

We could be dealing with the discomfort of being overweight, which affects almost every aspect of our lives such as mobility, endurance, comfort and aesthetics, but when we're told we're now "obese," that's when the alarms go off.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You're attitude is awesome...just keep it up girl...I was 5 ft 162...fall down, get back up and repeat! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

We could be dealing with the discomfort of being overweight, which affects almost every aspect of our lives such as mobility, endurance, comfort and aesthetics, but when we're told we're now "obese," that's when the alarms go off.
    I didn't have discomfort. I could out-exercise my teenagers. Didn't need seatbelt extenders or the like.

It was more the potential negative health ramifications than the label, per se, that made it sink in how much too much weight I was carrying.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Use it to fuel your fire! It will take time but that time will be the best investment you have ever made.
  • MattBrouse
    MattBrouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One metric of many. Of MANY. Pick some small performance based benchmarks that will quantify your weekly improvements. One more minute here, two more reps there, one less minute of rest here, .5% incline more there...

Record your workouts and circle those MFing improvements. They'll come every day and the weight will follow.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's a major wake up call! This happened to me last year and my weight loss hasn't been as quick as I would like, but every day I count my calories and exercise.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was obese, I was so happy the day I was just overweight it took 2st and close to four months but you know what I did it so you can too!!!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great attitude!!

You CAN change this and apparently you ARE changing this.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!

We are here to help.

One step at a time. One day at a time. One pound at a time.

There will be ups and downs, but keep at it!

Nancy
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I didn't have discomfort. I could out-exercise my teenagers. Didn't need seatbelt extenders or the like.

It was more the potential negative health ramifications than the label, per se, that made it sink in how much too much weight I was carrying.

You were officially obese, and could out-exercise your teenagers?

Were they obese also?

If not, you may want to look into their lifestyle habits.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3 and obese. I can't wait for the day when I'm officially "overweight". There will be confetti.

My goal is to be in the normal range, but I'm celebrating all the milestones.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I knew I had gained weight, but I just referred to it as my "mommy fluff." Hitting "overweight" didn't shock me too much, I mean, I was just barely "overweight." (It was so easy to rationalize!) But it was getting within 3 lbs of "obese" that shocked me into doing something. I know that numbers shouldn't define us, but it worked as a wake-up call for me. I've found lots of nsv's along the way, and have found that there are more important goals than just numbers, but some of those big numbers are there for a reason. I've still got a ways to go, but as long as I keep moving in the right direction, I figure I'm on the right track.
    Good luck!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

You were officially obese, and could out-exercise your teenagers?

Were they obese also?

If not, you may want to look into their lifestyle habits.
    I was not just officially obese, but Obese II.

One daughter is 5'7" 112 and the other is 5'11" 158 so, no, not obese. Just because I was (even more) overweight doesn't mean my endurance or strength (you try hauling around 335 pounds 24 hours a day) were poor, it just means they probably weren't where they could otherwise be.

Their lifestyle habits are fine -- they exercise and lift, among other things -- even if it conflicts with your view of how things ought to be.