2.5 lb plates...

It is strange that there isn't a 2.5 lb plate to be found at my gym?

I just finally gathered up enough confidence to wander into the free weights section at the very large, very expensive gym that I'm a member of. I did Stronglifts 5x5 with the bar (65 lbs on the row)... I was proud. As I was exploring I noticed there there were no 2.5 lb plates... You're supposed to increase weight by 5 lbs each time you lift, but how am I supposed to do that if there are no 2.5 plates? Am I missing something?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Yes, it's strange.

You may want to buy your own. If your gym will let you bring your own equipment (mine won't). Consider a set of fractional plates, too - you'll eventually get to the point where even adding 5 lbs is too much.
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Yes, it's strange.

You may want to buy your own. If your gym will let you bring your own equipment (mine won't). Consider a set of fractional plates, too - you'll eventually get to the point where even adding 5 lbs is too much.
    I'll have to look into that. I should probably just ask somebody where they are first. Maybe they have a Narnia-esque closet where they keep them. :wink:
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Mine has 2.5 plates. If they don't have them hidden away, tell them you need them and ask them to complete the sets.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Definitely ask someone! Sometimes the barbells with weights already on them (they look like really long dumbbells lol) might have the weight you're looking for if 2.5 plates are nowhere to be found.

If not, you'll just have to make do. I'd suggest maybe upping by 10 lb anyway and try to do the 5x5. If it is too heavy, then only do what you can and deload when you need to, until you can complete the 5x5 :) you might take a little longer with the 10 lb increase vs a regular 5 lb but as long as you're pushing yourself then it'll be fine!
  • Yes, it's strange.

I'll have to look into that. I should probably just ask somebody where they are first. Maybe they have a Narnia-esque closet where they keep them. :wink:

The Chronic-WHAT!?-cles of Narnia...:glasses:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    My gym only as one set of 2.5's that I know of. Finding them is a pain because people never put them back
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    My husband says the gym he goes to (I lift at home) doesn't have 2.5 lb plates either. How stupid. He just brings mine with him if he knows he'll need them. He's done pretty well without them, though.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    They should have them, just ask. My gym has like 20 of them all over the place
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Yes, it's strange.

we have 2 working sets- the rest are under the gym equipment helping to make sure it's level.

yeah I go to THAT gym.
    <facepalm>
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Yes, it's strange.

we have 2 working sets- the rest are under the gym equipment helping to make sure it's level.

yeah I go to THAT gym.
    <facepalm>

mine does that too. They have them as spacers between the squat rack and the mirrored wall
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    My gym has two sets, because we have two squat racks. Since we only have two squatters at a time, only need for two sets to get those heels raised.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    I bought myself a pair of 2.5 lb wrist / ankle weights for use on things like dumbbell exercises, weighted pull-ups and dips, etc. Although not an ideal situation, if your gym truly has no plates, consider the ankle / wrist weights as you could jerry-rig them onto a barbell and still use them for other exercises (like those involving dumbbells).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I bought myself a pair of 2.5 lb wrist / ankle weights for use on things like dumbbell exercises, weighted pull-ups and dips, etc. Although not an ideal situation, if your gym truly has no plates, consider the ankle / wrist weights as you could jerry-rig them onto a barbell and still use them for other exercises (like those involving dumbbells).

Do you just wrap them around the dumbbells? You might have solved a problem that I am starting to run into. My gym has two free weight rooms. One has dumbbells that go up in 2.5 increments and the other's dumbbells go up in 5 pound increments. I'm maxing out on the 2.5 dumbbells and have been trying to decide what to do. The wrist weight thing might solve my problem.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Do you just wrap them around the dumbbells? You might have solved a problem that I am starting to run into. My gym has two free weight rooms. One has dumbbells that go up in 2.5 increments and the other's dumbbells go up in 5 pound increments. I'm maxing out on the 2.5 dumbbells and have been trying to decide what to do. The wrist weight thing might solve my problem.

That is the same problem I encountered. I just wrap them around my wrist. Or my ankle for weighted dips / pull-ups. But my gym usually has 2.5 lb plates available, so they are pretty much relegated to dumbbell duty around the wrist at this point. (I use a dip belt / weight belt and a dog choke chain for plates on pull-ups / dips).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Ah, excellent. Such an easy fix for a problem that I have given way too much though to. I had been looking at PlateMates, which are little 2.5 pound plates that you can attach to dumbbells with magnets, but the dumbbells in question have rubber coatings so that wouldn't work.
  • Sounds like a horrible gym for weightlifting. If they don't understand basic linear progression and can't provide the equipment necessary for it, ie 2.5 pound plates... what are the chances they know how to maintain the bars, cables, machines etc.

It's definitely a big recipe for injury.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    What is this... "machine" you speak of?

are you a wizard?
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    When I clicked on this I was thinking someone was using heavy plates so they would put less food on their dish at meal time...:embarassed:

All I have are two 5 lb hand weights so I am def in the wrong topic.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    My gym has a lot of them, but in the classroom....I use them alot when I take the Body Pump class. When I was looking at purchasing the program for home, though, the program doesn't come with the 2.5 plates...lowest is 5 lbs. I'm a newbie and don't want to hurt my back, so I would really like the 2.5 lbs.