Changing nutrition goals

Options
Hi
I'm just after a quick bit of advice.
My MFP is currently set for 2 pounds a week loss which is working fine for me.
I'm off for a couple of weeks lazing by the pool soon and the resort has decent wifi so I fully intend to continue to log everything so I don't go too far off the rails.
Is there any downside to temporarily changing MFP to maintenance rather than weightless? Losing weight on holiday would be a nice surprise but I want to be realistic. I thought that having maintenance calories to log against rather than risk going over them every day might be more helpful psychologically if that makes sense?
I dont think it would affect previously logged information but I guess I wondered if anyone else had tried anything similar?
Thanks
Caroline

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. All it will do is let you maintain during that time, and allows you alittle wiggle room during vacation. Upping the calories might actually help you lose more weight believe it or not! Have a great time.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yep you can do that, it doesn't effect the previous entries. I did that for this past long weekend actually. If you're aiming for a certain amount of protein or whatnot though, you might have to adjust what it gives you as presets.

I think the only thing that changes previous entries (that I've noticed anyhow), is if you change the names of your meals in the settings. "Breakfast", "Lunch" etc. The rest seems to just change things from today forward.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • thefiley
    Options
    It's a vacation. ;) Stressing out about your weight will be detrimental to your fat loss efforts and to your enjoyment of your free weeks. Being realistic is a good approach. :)

Maybe treat it like a short PLANNED diet break? By taking control over what you are doing, you are less likely to binge - and to feel guilty afterwards and binge even more as a result. Having such a break after a long period of dieting can actually be extremely beneficial to your overall dieting efforts, since it gives your body some time to 'catch up' - and the increase in energy you will experience by eating a bit more may actually make you more active for the time!

So don't go crazy about what you are eating - enjoy your vacation but try to stay reasonable with your portions. Maybe jot down what you've had over the day on a piece of paper and log everything in the evening. Logging against maintenance, or setting maintenance as your 'upper limit' sounds like a reasonable idea. If you notice that you go over by too much too often, you can still start logging it during the day to get a better overview. :)
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've known quite a few people that have gone into 'maintenance' while on vacation or on business.
    I did it myself off and on, you have to enjoy life every once in awhile, just keep in mind to allow for water weight etc if you come back a few heavier than you left ..

Once you come back from vacation, set it back to your deficit and continue on your journey.

Good Luck!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,570 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing this when I go to the Gulf for a week in October with the husband, all four kids and my folks. My BMR is 1750 (tested, not random calculation) so my TDEE is about 2100. I may do that, and if I eat under, great, if not, whatever. :)

Also, my mom knows I am working at weight loss, but not how much I have lost (dang near 70 lbs). With 4 more weeks before she comes, I am hoping to drop another 6-8 lbs and really shock her when I pick her up at the airport :bigsmile:
  • sweetestcaz
    sweetestcaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. That's put my mind at rest..
    I don't plan to obsess over it too much. I'll just log everything each evening & enjoy myself without going too mad! Loosen the reins a little and then back to the deficit with a vengeance until christmas!
    Better brush up on the cocktail calories lol
    Cx