Conflicting information on weight and measurements!

So, I'm 25 years old, 5 feet even, and about 123 lbs at the moment, and really confused about what my ideal weight and measurements should be. I think BMI is bunk, but it still gives a huge range from 90lbs to 125lbs depending on which calculator I use, and the "body frame" charts put me at 104-115lbs ideally (small frame--5.5in wrist).

I can't believe this "new" BMI calculator that gives 90lbs as the low boundary of healthy for me... I was 98lbs in college and was fainting on a regular basis and felt awful. And even at 123lbs, my heaviest ever, people will guess I'm 105 which I find really weird. Is it possible to look lighter than you are?

I'd like to be between 115 and 118 pounds as I felt my best then, and I'm not a hugely athletic person but I do yoga and running, and some intense gardening regularly. When I'm focusing on my body, I mostly notice saddlebags, tummy chub and thunder thighs when I'm heavier, and a really fast increase of muscle when I've been exercising more. I don't feel like I have a lot of extra fat right now, especially in my legs and thighs where I usually gain it and none of my clothes fit weird but my weight is up and my measurements are a few inches higher than last time I checked! What on earth is going on?!

So a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to look like you weigh less than you do? Why would this be the case?

2. Is there a better way to figure out what healthy measurements are for you individually than BMI or the body frame chart, for example something that takes measurements and body composition into account?

3. Is there a way to estimate body composition at home, like body fat% etc? I'm curious but also concerned, as most people in my family are overweight and I need to keep track of fat versus muscle.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    1. Yes some people just carry weight well.

2. Talk to your doctor for that.

3. No not really most all of this is estimation.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    People always think I am light then I am, even at my fattest. I am 5'9" and carry my weight all over though, so that's part of it.

I would forget what the BMI says is the low range for your height and just get to where you feel comfortable: healthy, energized, able to maintain at.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    And even at 123lbs, my heaviest ever, people will guess I'm 105 which I find really weird.

What do you find "weird?"

That someone will underestimate your weight when asked (which is universally considered a "polite" thing to do). What a shock!

I hazard a guess that some people say you look younger too!

It's a crazy world.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I am always surprised when I come across women with either my similiar measurements or even higher than mine, but weigh much less than me. I've always been this way, even before I started seriously lifting. I learned long ago not to count on the scale as complete measurement of weight, but inches and how my clothes fit. I never had a goal weight, only a goal size.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Those BMI ranges are including everyone at those heights and don't mean all the weights in that range apply to you. Some people at the edges will still be over and underweight. Depends on the person, especially at the edges of those things.

1. Since they weigh what they do and look how they look, the literal answer would have to be No. But people might guess wrong for a variety of reasons.

2. The doctor is the best one to ask, but they don't get as detailed, generally, as you might want.

3. Years ago, I read about some way to get a body fat percentage by dunking people in water, but I've never seen it done. It's not really all that necessary unless you want to obsess (which is cool, if you do!)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    You can buy a cheap calipers to measure/estimate your body fat percent at home, or google up a host of sites that will give you estimations based on tape measurements of various areas.

But there is no one "ideal" size/weight for you. It's going to be a range that is 'healthy' and you can decide what's best for you within that range. BMI is a good start. 21% is considered a good target body fat % for women, if that helps.

Yes, people can look lighter than they are. :smile: