over a year and no weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

So I've been searching the internet and been unable to find any solutions to this problem or even any mention of a problem this severe. So here I am, turning to you guys for help. First a bit of a backstory so you understand where this is all coming from.

I used to be very fit. I'm 5'10", I weighed about 165 and was pretty healthy despite not eating as well as I probably should have (I was in college). When I was 25, I suddenly got sick. It was a bit like the flu (lack of energy aches and pains, that sort of thing) and was more or less bed ridden for about 3 months. Doctors didn't do anything to help. They claimed I was depressed for apparently no reason and threw a bunch of strong antidepressants at me (I refused to take them because I vehemently disagreed with the diagnoses, especially with no history of mental problems or really any physical problems either. Anyway, after that 3 months I went back to the doctor and noticed I had gained weight dramatically (First weigh in was 169, second weigh in 3 months later was 223). I never gained weight like that before so I didn't know what was normal and the doctor didn't comment on the weight gain so I had no idea gaining almost 65 lbs in 3 months wasn't normal. Anyway, I was still sick, but couldn't deal with being in bed anymore, so I went on with my life the best I could.

3 years later I finished school, and got married and moved a couple times. I was dealing with my illness but was still fairly sick. In August 2013 I received a nice bike for my birthday so I started trying to exercise to lose some this weight, which hadn't fluxuated at all in the 3 years (Still 223) I had recently tried to start running but my knees weren't having it. I rode every other day for about 3 miles on very hilly terrain and was sufficiently sweaty and winded when I got home each time. no weight loss though. I moved in to town and didn't have as much room to bike and I couldn't run, my knees had become fairly week and were having trouble holding my body weight. I changed my regimen to walking about 2 miles every day. still no weight loss.

I finally found a doctor that didn't default to antidepressants. After a few visits and an Endoscopy, it was revealed that I had an extremely nasty infection of H Pylori, though I didn't have any of the traditional symptoms. This was march of this year, I took some anti biotics and by April I was feeling like my old self again but was still the same weight.

After 3 years of battling I finally beat this illness. I felt I was able to focus on the more secondary aspects of my life that I had been leaving off until now. I really wanted this weight off. So with much pain and soreness I changed my exercise regimen again and started running every other day for about a mile and a half (Really it's more like jogging for about 3 or 4 minutes until I'm out of breath, then walking until I can jog again). The jogging is getting easier as I slowly rebuild my leg muscles, but I feel it would be easier if I was actually losing weight, which I'm not.

The problem I am having is I have been getting very discouraged that I haven't lost any weight and don't seem to be losing any fat either. When I get right down to it, I've been exercising basically nonstop for over a year now and have seen no changes what so ever. After searching the internet I noticed that most of the articles and comments that I found were regarding the same question but a much much shorter span of time, i.e "Why haven't I lost any weight after 2 weeks?!" most of the comments on that question seem to be diet, which brings me to the next portion.

When I started exercising, I was still sick, and without any help from any doctors, I started trying to take my health into my own hands. I started recording what I ate in a little note pad and tried to use deductive reasoning to find out if I didn't have a food allergy of some kind. I eventually figured out that anything with bleached enriched flour was setting off symptoms. I could eat whole grain oats and whole wheat fine, but whatever was in the enriched flour was definitely causing problems. I got tested for Celiac just to be sure and that came back negative. As a result, I've decreased my carb intake dramatically. No pastas, very little bread, no pastries (DAMN YOU DELICIOUS PASTRIES!!) My daily calorie count is usually between 1600 and 1900, (I'm about 5'10") so that seemed fine. I eat a pack of nature valley breakfast biscuits for breakfast (They're made with whole grains so don't have any problems with them, leftover dinner from the night before for lunch, and whatever dinner ends up being (90% of the time it's some sort of chicken or beef with 2 sides of veggies [I dropped potatoes from the menu as well]) I eat very little junkfood and if i find myself needing a snack, I'll have either another pack of breakfast bars (about 230 calories) or a banana with some peanut butter. Again my diet seems to be fairly square. but still no weight loss.

So to reiterate, I exercise regularly and change up my regimen from time to time. I eat fairly well and don't over eat on average. I drink water most of the time, though sometimes I have a glass of milk with dinner. I asked my doctor about it recently when I was in for a check up and he gave me the old calories in/ calories out lecture, which I've known for years, (I played many sports in high school. I'd like to go see a nutritionist but unfortunately I don't have the finances to pay for more doctor visits as I'm still paying medical bills for the endoscopy and such.

I have tried so hard to not give up on myself but it's becoming increasingly difficult as I feel like I'm just spinning my tires. I will add that the rest of my day is a little more sedantary than I'd like as I work on a computer. I make sure to take frequent breaks to save my eyes and get up and stretch and walk around a bit. But at this point I feel like there has to be something I'm missing here. I have recently started looking into some sort of supplement or something to help with the weight loss (just pre workout powders or something like that) But I'm hesitant as I've always tried to stay as pure as possible when it comes to pharmiceuticals and supplements, but again, I feel like I'm starting to get desperate.

Anyone who took the time to read my story, I very much appreciate it. I'm very glad to be looking at that rough patch of my life in the rear view mirror but really want to drop my weight and just feel better about myself and look better as well. My wife stuck with me through all this and aside from my unending love and appreciation, she deserves the man and physique she fell in love with. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Do you weight and measure all your food?

Without an open diary, that is all I can think to ask. You are probably consuming more than you think you are, if the weight won't come off.

A common bit of advice is to drop your calories by 10%, make sure you are weighing, measuring and logging consistently correctly, and see if that changes anything.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Let's see that diary!
  • Irvic
    Irvic Posts: 17
    Options
    well, the diary is hand written and I don't have a scanner, so I'm not sure how I could get it on here. I'd be happy to transcribe some of the pages into a post though.

I wasn't weighing my food, at that point, I large portion of what I was eating was prepackaged (Instant oatmeal, chicken soup,) anything my wife made for dinner was generally weighted at some point, packaged meet was portioned by the pound etc.

here's an excerpt from the diary.

Feb 23, 2014

9:30 AM
    -woke up
    -felt crappy
    - very hungry (hunger pains

10:30 AM
    -Cut up half a cantaloupe (93 calories)
    - hunger satisfied
    -mood diminished
    -feel very fatigued

12:00 PM
    Ate other half of cantaloupe (93 calories)
    - Hunger satisfied
    -feeling ok

2:00 PM
    -Sudden hunger pains (did not feel hungry before hand)

3:00 PM
    - Ate Chicken and rice (About 650 calories)
    -hunger satisfied
    -feel fatigued

5:00 PM
    Feeling very fatigued
    -Mood greatly diminished
    - Need nap

7:30 PM
    Dinner - 12oz steak green beans carrots (about 800 calories)
    -hunger satisfied
    -mood = positive

9:30
    Feeling fatigued
    -hungry
    -mood diminished
    motivation diminished

10:00 pm
    ate banana (105 calories)
    stomach tension and heartburn
    bananas causing heartburn apparently

Midnight
    had oatmeal (180 calories)
    sugar sifted out

1:30 AM
    going to bed
    feel fine

total calories 1816

miles walked today 2.5 miles

This is representative of my daily diet. Part of the problem though is that I was also sick at the time with a stomach occupying bacterial infection so different foods were doing different things to me, thats why you see the mood and energy recorded as well. Since I've gotten better, I changed my oatmeal to breakfast bars which have about 40 more calories. I do not have a lot of money so I've done the best I can with what I have.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If your math isn't adding up, go back to your doctor. Get full panel blood work done get checked for Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, Thyroid, and any Vitamin Deficiencies, as well as anything else your doctor can think of.

Fat can be a symptom of other issues than just over eating.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Bold is your problem - you really have no idea just how many calories you're consuming - you're guessing.

Take a week or two and measure and weigh EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. My guess is you'll be surprised at how inaccurate your guesses are. That's not a personal criticism - pretty much everyone does it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You don't know how many calories your are eating, you're using estimates. You're guessing so your not eating at a deficit so you don't lose weight. It's as simple as you're eating too much. These links will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Bold is your problem - you really have no idea just how many calories you're consuming - you're guessing.

Take a week or two and measure and weigh EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. My guess is you'll be surprised at how inaccurate your guesses are. That's not a personal criticism - pretty much everyone does it.

^^ totally this ^^

I was stalled with my weight loss for a very long time. I could not figure out why I was not losing weight. Then I started religiously and accurately tracking my food intake. It was a real eye opener. I've lost 31 pounds since the beginning of July through tracking my food and making sure I'm just under my calorie goals.

Other things contributed to my weight loss stall - stress and lack of sleep. Try to lead a more Zen lifestyle (harder to do than say) and get your shut-eye (even harder with kids). When I was micromanaging my emotions based on what other people said or did, it was easy to self medicate through food.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If your math isn't adding up, go back to your doctor. Get full panel blood work done get checked for Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, Thyroid, and any Vitamin Deficiencies, as well as anything else your doctor can think of.

I definitely agree that you need to have blood work done. Do some reading on metabolic syndrome. I've had hard time losing weight as I got older, and recently discovered that I have metabolic syndrome. I've switched to a low carb lifestyle and I am finally feeling so much better, and losing weight.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and best of luck on your weight-loss journey.

Some useful posts for the nuts and bolts of tracking your daily intake. Write down everything in your MFP diary.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • ABcando
    Options

I had some of the same items going on. Thru usage of MFP I was able to figure out a better usage of food / calories to help adjust my intake and sugars to equal out nutrition during the day . This helped tremendously . Now i am able to keep a level feeling for most of the day .
  • Irvic
    Options
    Thank you for the reply everyone. But its sad to see everyone jumping to the conclusion that I'm over eating. I really don't think I am but will not exclude the possibility if nothing else comes up. Whether you agree or not, let's, for the moment assume, that I'm not overeating. I'm looking for a wide range of paths to be able to explore, and I can't do that if we're getting hung up one possible cause.

I'm also concerned that no one has addressed the weight gain in the first place, does this mean it's normal to gain that much weight in that much time?

I also have had many blood panels done, I went through 5 doctors in 3 years and every time that was the first thing they did. everything always came back normal, which is one of the reasons they always said it must be a mental illness. thyroid was my first thought as well, but again, tests came back normal.

Thank you so far for the comments and the time spent on them!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what would it hurt to spend two weeks logging your food intake on here? If you are guesstimating calories like on your post with your example day it's very likely that you are over eating due to not really knowing how much you are consuming. You have already gone a year doing what you have been doing with no results, why keep doing it? Figure out how much you need to be eating to lose, weigh your food and log it on here and see what happens. It might surprise you.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems on the low side as well. You should track your nutrients as well as your caloric intake. I see an awful lot of sugars and carbs throughout the day and that could be making you feel more tired if you're in any way predisposed to diabetes or prediabetic.

Try switching up your proportions of proteins, fats and carbs keeping in mind your calorie count. Then see how you feel (satiated, still hungry, etc.).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply everyone. But its sad to see everyone jumping to the conclusion that I'm over eating.

When someone isn't diligent about tracking their caloric intake, that's the problem 99.9% of the time.

That's why everyone is "jumping to that conclusion"
  • Irvic
    Options
    anything that's going to cost money to do I have to think twice beforehand because I have almost nothing when it comes to disposable income. Otherwise I would have gone to my doctor and nutritionist rather than going on the internet. so If I do want to weigh all my food, that means I will have to save the money for a couple weeks to buy a scale, then the two weeks to actually use it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how much you're eating. You don't need a scanner to track calories. You need to weigh and measure everything, keep in your caloric allotment and you will lose.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply everyone. But its sad to see everyone jumping to the conclusion that I'm over eating.

When someone isn't diligent about tracking their caloric intake, that's the problem 99.9% of the time.

That's why everyone is "jumping to that conclusion"
    That's really also the best-case scenario. It's easy to fix and it means that there is nothing else physically wrong with you. All things considered, that's the option you should be hoping is true.
  • Irvic
    Options
    I have a problem with people jumping to that conclusion because I spent 3 years having doctors do the same thing and low and behold, I was that 1% of the time problem that the doctor wouldn't even humor. So yes, maybe it is a problem, but again. Lets assume for the moment its not. and figure out what that 1% problem could be. I'm not dumb and I know how to count calories if I have to, but I was hoping that posting on to a fitness blog might reveal something I haven't thought of yet.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    anything that's going to cost money to do I have to think twice beforehand because I have almost nothing when it comes to disposable income. Otherwise I would have gone to my doctor and nutritionist rather than going on the internet. so If I do want to weigh all my food, that means I will have to save the money for a couple weeks to buy a scale, then the two weeks to actually use it.
    Start by using measuring cups. They're not nearly as accurate as a scale, but they're more accurate than eyeballing.

And food scales are super cheap. I got mine for about $15 on Amazon (I'm lazy and hate going to the store), but you should be able to find one at Walmart or somewhere similar for $10-$15.
  • Irvic
    Options
    I will try to use measuring cups for stuff that can fit (Corn, carrots etc). Unfortunately, even 15 dollars for a scale is way over budget for me. I know that's probably hard to believe but my finances are very very slim owing to me not being able to work for a long time, even now I'm only quazi employed. and my wife and I are JUST making ends meet. It sucks. but that one of the reasons I have been trying to get my weight back down, so I can apply for more laborious jobs and hopefully make some more money.