Swimming

Options
Are there any other swimmers out there?

Mike

Replies

• priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    Swimmer here though I only started 2 weeks ago. I LOVE it!
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you joined a masters team? Feel free to add me as a friend.

Mike
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm an ex-swimmer, just starting to swim again. I swam for 14 yrs competitively, then "retired" when I went to college. After 2 years of no swimming, I decided to start again. I trained last summer and did an open water mile in August. It made me love swimming again!
  • mikegohl
    Options
    Open water mile. Nice. I only did one open water swim. I like clorine.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I just finished my masters swim class. We swam 3550 yards tonight. I have been swimming laps about 2 years now. I used to have my own business scraping barnacles off the bottom of boats. It wasn't too much swimming but I spent many hours in the water and still have a love for it.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've never been a strong swimmer but I do love swimming. I really like aquafitness and I'm hoping to get into a class in the new year. If they offer adult stroke improvement classes I might go for that. I'm always looking for things that will keep me motivated to exercise regularly!
  • priskar
    Options
    A masters team? No. Sorry...I'm unfamiliar with the term. I just go to the gym jump in, warm up and swim lap after lap 'til I can't go anymore. Please, tell me more!

I think I need to google a little, huh? ;)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer but haven't really done it in years. Used to be competitive. I miss it!
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Former competitive swimmer. Started swimming laps again several months ago at my local natatorium. So glad to be back in the water. My lungs are lagging behind, but have been working on some breathing techniques and hope they catch up soon!
  • mikegohl
    Options
    Hereis a link to the US Master Site:

http://www.usms.org/

Here is the link for places to swim in your area:

http://www.usms.org/placswim/
  • priskar
    Options
    Thanks so much, Mike! I'm familiar with Cooper Aerobics Center and it's not too far. I'm hoping you don't have to be a member there. I'm surprised none of the big hospital fitness centers are involved. I'm definitely gonna look into this. Thanks!
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Synchronized swimming for 13 years, and since my "retirement" have given that up and continued to improve on my speed swimming and use it as my main activity. I do 3 times a week 3500-4000 yds, alternating with cardio machines on land (never learned to run!) So glad to see other people who swim!
  • nehptune
    nehptune Posts: 138
    Options
    i am swimmer too!!

started getting into open water swimming last summer with a sprint triathlon (1/2 mile in a lake) and a 1 mile ocean swim for charity. i'm hoping to do even more open water swimming this summer, but need to get myself back into the pool...
    i much prefer swimmng in lakes or the ocean, but it's too cold here in MA!!!

i'm starting a pre-masters swim program next week and will join the masters program after that.

would anyone be interested in starting a swim thread were we can swap workout tips?
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer! I was with a masters group until I got pregnant last year. I swam about three times a week the entire pregnancy, though, an almost back to where I was before the little one. I wish I could join another masters club but it would be too hard with needing someone to watch the baby.

Please feel free to friend me if you are a swimmer so we can share workouts! I am always looking for more fun and varied swimming sets.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    would anyone be interested in starting a swim thread were we can swap workout tips?

I suggested setting a distance goal here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165171-hey-swimmers-want-to-have-a-distance-challenge

But I would love to share workout tips, especialy to hear the sets other people are doing. I try to mix it up but I have my three or four favorites that I always seem to fall back on.