Which is correct in calories MFP or Map My Walk

Options
Does anyone know which site is accurate for calories burned with exercise? There is a huge discrepancy between MFP and Map My Walk. I'm trying to keep an honest estimate so I will stay on track. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• OnTheGround
    Options
    I've never used map my walk, but I have found MFP to be darn close to accurate when I've compared them to actually using a HRM.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Neither. MFP and MMR/W/R/F (whichever version of the app you're using) are hugely overestimated (for me, anyway, based on my HRM). I manually changed the cals burned to what my HRM said (til I got my garmin connect acct set up and got it to sync with MFP so it uses the actual HRM data), and then usually only eat back half (because my working HR is high, and so the calorie calc from my HRM is too high).
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't know, but if the exercise you're trying to calculate is walking, then use this formula: 0.3 x (body weight in pounds) x miles walked. This will give you the excess calories you burned by walking (instead of just sitting). So, for example, a 200 pound person who walked 2 miles will have burned 0.3 x 200 x 2 = 120 calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You've already successfully lost 40 pounds. Which method have you been using this far?
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

DavPul so far I have been using the MFP but I was using the Map My Walk for distance tracking and saw the huge difference at the end of my walk and I wanted to be sure.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't fix what ain't broke
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I tried mapmywalk and the calorie burn is way off. I wrote them and they acknowledged that. They sent a long email of how to adjust it, but it was too complicated. I switched to a jawbone activity tracker. That took some time, but eventually adjusted to my height/weight and gives me a pretty accurate reading.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks DavPul!