Any women have success with the Body-up?

Options
I was looking up new exercises, because I was bored with weights, and today was triceps and I found the Body-up

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/body-up

Excited I decided to try this out. And failed. Completely.

I followed the directions, watched the video a few times to check my form and that I was doing it right, and nothing.

My body does not move up an inch. Then I noticed that there's no video of a girl doing this exercise (which there is for 99% of all the other videos).

So do I just suck and need to work harder on my triceps and put this down as a goal, OR, is there something I'm just missing?

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Now that looks hard.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Treat it like a press up and keep your hips/legs on the ground so that you don't have to move as much weight
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Treat it like a press up and keep your hips/legs on the ground so that you don't have to move as much weight

Hey! Thanks for the great idea. I'll try it out that way to start and work my way up.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I never tried any of those before, and I just did a few, just to figure out what it was all about....lol

I would suggest, starting on the top of the movement, and lower yourself down slowly, until you have figured out how to correctly brace your body. After that, it's not that difficult. I did a few in a row, and I noticed, it works well, if you push yourself forward and up with your toes. (If your starting position is out of a regular plank, on your toes, not on your knees. You can't really do it from a girl-pushup-position, because you won't be able to get forward and up from there. Your body would be dragging on the ground.)
    HOWEVER, out of this short in-the-middle-of-breakfast experience, I would recommend a good stretch of the calf muscles before practice.....as funny as this may seem, those get a good workout in the process, too...

Train safe!

Edit: As an other option for a triceps pushup, I can recommend a chaturanga pushup. This one you could practice from a knee position. Start in a plank position, keep the hands at chest level, just beside your body. That's your starting position. Inhale as you lower yourself SLOWLY, keeping your elbows close to the body, until your upper arms are parallel to the ground. Hold a second, exhale as you push yourself back up to the starting position. This works best, if you keep your spine straight, and look forward, not down to the ground, while you perform the exercise.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I never tried any of those before, and I just did a few, just to figure out what it was all about....lol

I would suggest, starting on the top of the movement, and lower yourself down slowly, until you have figured out how to correctly brace your body. After that, it's not that difficult. I did a few in a row, and I noticed, it works well, if you push yourself forward and up with your toes. (If your starting position is out of a regular plank, on your toes, not on your knees. You can't really do it from a girl-pushup-position, because you won't be able to get forward and up from there. Your body would be dragging on the ground.)
    HOWEVER, out of this short in-the-middle-of-breakfast experience, I would recommend a good stretch of the calf muscles before practice.....as funny as this may seem, those get a good workout in the process, too...

Train safe!

Edit: As an other option for a triceps pushup, I can recommend a chaturanga pushup. This one you could practice from a knee position. Start in a plank position, keep the hands at chest level, just beside your body. That's your starting position. Inhale as you lower yourself SLOWLY, keeping your elbows close to the body, until your upper arms are parallel to the ground. Hold a second, exhale as you push yourself back up to the starting position. This works best, if you keep your spine straight, and look forward, not down to the ground, while you perform the exercise.

From starting at the top I could go down, but getting back up to the top again (even with calf help) just didn't feel right. I was uneven and the form was off.

Maybe I should just stay away from them until I have someone one on one with me. :/
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Train safe!

From starting at the top I could go down, but getting back up to the top again (even with calf help) just didn't feel right. I was uneven and the form was off.

Maybe I should just stay away from them until I have someone one on one with me. :/

Hey!

I tried a series of them again to figure out what's going on.

Start from the top position (I know, the video shows it differently, but you'll find, it's so much easier to build up the tension needed.....). Inhale on the way down. Your body should feel like a loaded spring, core as tight as possible throughout the complete movement. Do not dip your butt, do not release the tension once you're down on your elbows. Use the tension to propel yourself back up and forward, though your toes/feet/ankles/calves, while you exhale.

I have a weak wrist, just recovered from an injury, and I do this sort of thing with non-slip lifting gloves. Non-slip shoes or a yoga mat will help, too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I can't do that.