Tummy is Bigger Since Exercising

Options
So I'm doing HIIT cardio 5-6 times a day, eating a high protein, low fat diet, and it seems that since I've started this regime, my stomach looks bigger than when I started. It feels like I'm gaining muscle but not losing fat. BUT my workout plan is built to burn fat. What am I doing wrong??

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    "Seems" and "looks" are deceiving and subjective terms.

Measure.
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You mean per week, not day, right?! I hope so! Either way, if you are doing HIIT correctly, and doing it 6 times a day OR week, you could be causing your body too much stress. More isn't always better. Your body produces cortisol in response to stress, and cortisol is linked to increased fat storage around the middle. So give your body a chance to recover, and vary the type of workouts you do. Include some form of resistance training, not just intense cardio.

In regards to your diet, your body does need fat. And carbs. When I eat too much protein and not enough veggies, things get blocked up if you know what I mean. You could be bloated, especially if you're doing protein shakes and bars. Get some fiber from fresh fruits and veggies. Focus on getting your carbs from plant foods, and avoid protein things with tons of added sugar. It's also possible that you're bloated from foods your body can't tolerate. For example, if I have more than a little dairy I bloat up something awful and my tummy is distended. Try an elimination diet where you cut out common allergens and that could possibly help.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    5-6 times a WEEK oops! haha I'm doing the insanity program so I'm trying to follow the workout plan they have made up. And I find it hard being a vegetarian to get the insanity recommended 40% protein into my diet without all the shakes. :/
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    how is your form when working out?. lots of folks don't contract, or pull in, their abdominal muscles when working that area. if you aren't paying attention you could be accidently pushing them out
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I work out next to a mirror so I can check my form often and I am always trying to keep it in, not pushed out.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Do you drink protein shakes?

They can cause some bloating. Also if you lose love handles faster than abdominal fat it can make your gut looks like it protrudes more even though you have actually lost fat.
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile and diary.
    First of all, you're relatively lean already, so it's going to be way harder to lose your belly fat. Trust me, I'm doing the same thing right now, hoping to get from around 22-23% BF under 20%, and it just gets harder and harder. My belly fat is last to go. Your genetics determine where you store fat, so if it's in your belly and you're losing elsewhere, you may just notice your stomach more. Also, I very strongly suspect the protein shakes are to blame. If I do more than 1 shake a day I get bloated. Looks like you're doing 3-4 per day. As a former vegetarian, I also understand how hard it is to get to 40% protein, but you'll probably have to choose between doing the diet they suggest and being bloated, or just getting as much protein as you can (aim for at least 1g per pound of body weight) and eating foods that don't bloat you. You may also want to experiment with vegan protein powders. I know people who can't tolerate whey and get bloated, but do fine on vegan powders. Try sneaking in small amounts of protein wherever you can to help it add up. I sometimes stir unflavored unsweetened pea protein powder into butternut squash curry soup. Sprinkle hemp seeds in your Greek yogurt. Take spirulina for a few extra grams of vegan protein each day. Seitan is higher in protein than beans or tofu. Good luck!