Spina Bifida

eversits
eversits Posts: 177 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello Everyone!!! I am desperately trying to lose about 50 pounds; however, I have spina bifida which caused me to have severe scoliosis. Are there any advices for me when it comes to my execise?

Replies

• watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Good for you! I'm thinking you should start by asking a physical therapist though.

Best wishes to you! =)
  • eversits
    I tried phyisical therapists, but they only helped with my pains for an hour or two...After that my pain came back, and I was miserable. I was thinking to start swimming. Is swimming as effective as running when it comes to losing weight? I am more concerned about losing weight now because it is putting way too much strenght to my body!!!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    I tried phyisical therapists, but they only helped with my pains for an hour or two...After that my pain came back, and I was miserable. I was thinking to start swimming. Is swimming as effective as running when it comes to losing weight? I am more concerned about losing weight now because it is putting way too much strenght to my body!!!

I would think that swimming would be very beneficial. It's a VERY good form of cardio and low impact, and it's better than nothing! ;) I know people that have lost plenty of pounds from swimming. It's all about burning those calories! Do what's easier on your body. Good for you for taking the initiative to becoming healthier. You CAN do it!!
  • eversits
    Thanks for the support!!!:happy:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I just saw something on msn, and if exercise isn't a realistic option for you, you can lose weight through diet alone, and most studies show it's more effective than exercise for weight-loss:
    "We become overweight when we consume more calories in food and drink than we burn up. To lose weight, we need to shift that balance and burn up more than we consume. We can accomplish that by consuming fewer calories, burning more, or both. Cutting calories doesn’t necessarily have to mean going on a “diet.” It can just mean avoiding or limiting one or more foods high in calories from fat (such as high-fat meat, cheese, or snack foods, or too much added fat), lots of sugar (like sweets or sweetened drinks), or alcohol. Cutting calories can also be accomplished by reducing our portion sizes, or by eating smaller portions of those high-calorie foods and filling up on larger portions of low-calorie vegetables and fruits.
    Objective analysis shows that cuts in calorie consumption add up faster than increases in exercise. Studies show that a combination of smaller portions and changes in what we eat can easily add up to reduce calorie consumption by 500 daily, whereas burning an extra 500 calories daily can be a daunting target."
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Yes, it's very true that you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but I love the fact that you can earn extra calories LOL. It's hard to stick to a 1200 calorie diet. Exercise is very important, too. I say go ahead and SWIM! :D
This discussion has been closed.