Losing weight without the GYM?

Options
I'm just curious how many of you were able to lose a significant amount of weight without joining the gym. I have been thinking about joining one, but then again I'm not sure. I have a treadmill at home and numerous exercise videos, so I am wondering if I should start with those first. Thanks in advance for any advice/comments! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Exercise helps to speed weight loss along, but more importantly to get you fit.

Try several different things before you sign a long term contract. It's very important that you find something you like to do. Me I am a Jazzercise addict, I really get bored working out on machines. I have to work out with others, otherwise I won't.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a gym since...well..before I gained weight in the first place. It's just not in my budget right now. When I do get my budget straightened out I'm totally going to get a membership so that I can do Stronglifts 5x5.

Weight loss can be done without exercise. It really comes down to how much your eating. That being said exercise is great for looks, health and will allow you to eat a bit more to lose weight (compared to what you could eat without exercise).
  • mkollenb
    mkollenb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found it was cheaper and a lot more fun to buy a bike. I cycle to work & back everyday bought a really nice bike. I have already paid for it. I save $40 a week in gas and have road my bike for 6 months now. I have already paid for the bike by all the savings in gas, and ride 12 miles to work & 12 miles home for a total of 24 miles a day. I have currently been riding for 6 months now and have lost of total of 45 pounds. Biking slims you down and it's fun your outdoors everyday & it beats the gym.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    I haven't, n look at my results. ..when it comes to weight loss, 90% of it is diet
  • sarahwinder78
    sarahwinder78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No gym membership here either. I'm almost 40 pounds down and looking forward to starting my body recomposition phase soon. I do have a bike and ride that a few times a week, run three times a week and try to get in a hike once a week. I use this website for some great at home workouts: http://neilarey.com/ Plus there are tons of workouts on YouTube to try as well. As a previous poster said, I too am looking forward to one day joining a gym (or at least hiring a trainer) so I can start the StrongLifts program. I also agree with something someone else said, that losing weight is more about your diet than about the exercise. The exercise, of course, has lots of other benefits, but strictly speaking you can lose weight by just eating at a deficit. I, however, like to eat (duh, I guess...that's how I got here in the first place!), so adding exercise gives me some extra calories to enjoy each day. Best of luck to you - feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs while not being able to work out due to a severe blood clot in my leg. I was eventually cleared to eexercise, but I made plenty of headway without it.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight without the gym or much exercise. Weightloss is primarily diet. Improve your diet and eat less.

For exercise, just get yourself a pedometer and walk about a bit more, take the stairs instead of the lift, park further away from the doors so you have to walk a little further.

When you feel like it, get a bike, go for a ride, go to the pool, join team sport, get some tennis coaching, check out some yoga classes, or a rumba class, take up dancing, go to a night club, go hiking.

You do not have to join a gym. I was at a gym the other day to ask a question, It smelt like rubber. It was horrible I don't see what the attraction of gyms is.
  • NelsonMoore
    NelsonMoore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would completely agree with everybody above. I am down 30 lbs and am looking to lose another 15. Here is what has worked for me.
    1. Plan meals. I don't eat food that I have not planned out the day before. (And don't do the planning while you are hungry!)
    2. Track eating on MFP and track calorie count. I eat about 1,950 calories per day and exercise off about 250 per day.
    3. Stop eating when your planned meal is done. If I am still hungry after eating my meal, I walk away anyway.
    I know that in about ten minutes the hunger will be gone because I did properly nourish my body.
    3. Walk. I started with a 20-minute walk per day, then moved a couple of months later to 40 minutes.
    Then still later I moved to two 30-minute walks per day. that totals about three miles of walking every day.
    4. Stay connected to my two weight loss buddies as we encourage each other.

I am losing about 1.25 pounds per week this way. I don't exactly know what I am going to do when winter comes. (I live in Minnesota.) But I have done all of the above without belonging to a gym.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90% of my weight this time around (and staying that way) without the gym.

I do videos at home (T25/insanity), bought some dumbells at a garage sale, bought a 10$ ebook full of HITT workouts which has allowed me to make my own and I enjoy running outdoors.

The only time I use the gym is when im back at school, and that's only because its paid in my tuition and if I don't use it, I loose it anyways.

But really diet is key to, every time I get stuck with my weight loss it comes back to diet and calories.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I haven;t been to the gym since my sister dragged me with her once, and before that it was years ago. I do home based workouts. I have T25, Insanity, and P90X3. I like working out at home, it's easier for me and I cannot make up any excuses about why I can;t make it to the gym to workout.

I have since invested in a BoSu ball (got it on sale, but it was still expensive, but totally worth it), resistance bands, some light weights (3 and 5 pounds), push up bars, and a kettlebell. I find workouts on YouTube that incorporate all of these items. I especially love the HIIT workouts that I've found that utilize the BoSu ball. Good stuff.

I've thought about buying a exercise ball, but idk where I would put it.

I say start small. Get some resistance bands, I got a set off of amazon for about $30 (Black Mountain - I think that's the brand), use the dvds you already have, check out fitness videos on YouTube, and then go from there. I'm sure google has a nice explanation on how to create your own fitness routine. I use Beachbody programs because I'm a bit too lazy to do that, lol. I've also only paid for T25, the other two were given to me by a friend who couldn't use them due to her extreme asthma.

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I avoid the gym as much as possible. If you work at it, there are other ways to exercise. :)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    while i did recently join a gym, i lost most of the weight i've lost so far by eating at a deficit and walking. walking is great exercise, and eating at a deficit by measuring food and counting calories just plain works for me.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

I do go to the gym nearly every day, because it helps me feel better, look better, and lose weight faster.
    Oh, and my blood work (mostly cholesterol & triglycerides) have gone from "Houston, we have a problem" to being well into the healthy low numbers... and that's nearly all from exercise.
    For those who think they can't afford it, look into Planet Fitness. They're $10/mo and open 24/7.
    I probably use more than that just in hot water to take showers! :laugh:
  • juliahassell
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown video's and it's a good workout, and I usually burn 215-300 cals on the heart rate monitor per video. I also Jog about 3 days a week, and use a pedometer. If I don't have enough steps in for the day, I walk/run the stairs until I do!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    For those who think they can't afford it, look into Planet Fitness. They're $10/mo and open 24/7.
    I probably use more than that just in hot water to take showers! :laugh:

That's great if you live near one. I don't. The gyms around me are all around $30-40 a month for a single membership. Examples:

Snap Fitness: $34.95 per month
    Competitive Edge : $35 per month (plus you have to buy an access key)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you happen to be near a Lifetime Fitness, check it out. It is not like Planet Fitness, Gold's or the Y.

Lifetime Fitness is a nice gym and not the kind of place you dread visiting. They need to build more of these, IMO.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a gym in about 4 years, definitely not since I've started losing weight. I workout every day, but I just do calisthenics at home. I think of them as gym class workouts. Crunches, pushups, lunges and such. For general weight loss it's not necessary, you can do plenty of strength training and cardio at home.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym :laugh: socially awkward, smelly, expensive and I never feel better. I much much prefer to run, cycle or walk in the great outdoors. I have a personal trainer come to my house once a week for HIIT and callisthenics, which costs the same as some gyms do.

If you hate it, you're probably not going to keep up the effort to do it and that might hurt your chances of long term success. Find some things you can do at home and that you really enjoy! Then you will want to do them everyday :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. Exercise enhances the caloric deficit, but is unnecessary to weight loss.
  • RonaldoAllen
    RonaldoAllen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is not important to do workout only in gym. We can do exercise at home or outside home. IF someone don't like to go to the gym then there is lot of exercises that are good for doing at home. Contact with me for detailed information.