What has been your biggest obstacle to losing weight?

Replies

• biancad_1992
    biancad_1992 Posts: 30 Member
    In a word... Chocolate.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    My biggest obstacle is the way my mind blares the *amount* I have to lose...like a megaphone in an empty room. I've lost 50 lb, which is a piddle-fart amount to me, considering I have at least another 120 to go. A few people have said to just take it one pound at a time, but it's very difficult for me to have that mindset when I see that massive number on the scale and the massive number on my ticker. Soooo...in a word, I guess my biggest obstacle is my mind. =)
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    You said a mouthful..no pun intended....exactly what i feel..i sabotage myself always...do well..then let my emotiona take control....how do u finally figure out what it is u r cramming the food into your mouth for??? I just cant seem to make it surface....
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Myself and being consistent. Logically I know what I need to be doing. I struggle with doing it long term. I start out great, see some results and then I sort of let things slide a bit.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Putting it of until tomorrow....and then eating everything in sight because from tomorrow I'll be starting the diet...then tomorrow never quite comes or if it does, it doesn't last long. Once I realised that eating today because I'll diet tomorrow meant that I ended up gaining weight I decided that it was best to just start rather than waiting for a special day to arrive. That also made me realise that if I blew the diet for one day / one meal, it was better just to draw a line under it straight away and carry on with the healthy eating rather than calling it game over. The worst thing was having a dieting/not dieting mentality (which even now I find hard to break) which leads to cycles of binging and starving. Better to take one meal at a time and choose the best option. Sometimes that best option is the calorie laden one because I just need it...but no guilt, just making the next choices balance it out means that the weightloss stays on track.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    I've been my own biggest obstacle. Because I didn't have any health problems, I have always been like "I'm big but I'm active and I don't have any problems." Basically, I was an ostrich sticking my head in the ground. You don't get to be 300+ lbs forever and not develop health problems. So I had an extremely unexpected health scare and had to decide if donuts and double quarter pounders with cheese were better than living a long, happy life. They aren't and that was that.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    stress and depression. I have problems with emotional eating as well. Trying to get these problems in check.
  • Ashantih87
    Ashantih87 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm a stress eater with a sweet tooth. I procrastinate when it comes to working out. A workout buddy would help but now I take my son for walks, so he's my buddy.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Consistency. I do great for a few weeks then crash and burn. Sometimes I can keep it going for months on end but some days I really struggle for motivation between school, work, and lack of sleep.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Knowing that to reach my goal weight in a healthy way, I still have over 2 years of work to go... and that's without any more major health issues. Since I started losing, I have had to have 3 abdominal surgeries, which resulted in a lot of bedrest and long stretches of medical restriction to my exercise. Most people assume that I had weight loss surgery but NOPE.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    A sense of complacency because I'm not *that* overweight so I thought I still looked ok even when my weight had started to creep up. I'm tall and have a broad frame so have always been physically bigger than most of the other females I know even when I was slimmer and lighter - this made it easier to be in denial even when clothes were becoming tighter.

Also, a picking habit. I've never been a binge eater but the phrase "little pickers wear bigger knickers" could have been made for me.
  • harktosh
    harktosh Posts: 25 Member
    My biggest obstacle currently is my lack of patience with it. I want it to happen right now.

That and my addiction to sugar...mmm....sugar.
  • Fit_Lean_Priya
    Fit_Lean_Priya Posts: 164 Member
    chocolate
    had 4 bourbon biscuits today :(
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    My mouth and keeping it shut
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    ME
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Staying consistent. My life has has a lot of ups and downs in the last few years.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Stress and lack of sleep!
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Cheesecake and ice cream (and a lack of self-control when I don't log).
  • ICE CREAM.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Me. I get in my own way sometimes.

This ^^
    I am my own worse enemy