5 meals a day? And Vegies?

Options
2 Questions here guys...

1) I need help trying to break up my meals. I know that having 5 smaller meals a day is hugely beneficial to weight loss, but I just don't really understand HOW to do it... what sorta things do you have in your small meals to keep yourself not hungry through the day and stay within your calorie limit?

2) VEGIES! Everyone says you need something like 5 serves of vegies per day... how do you do that? I don't really want to be munching on a head of broccoli, or wolfing down raw colliflour. And how much is one serve? I think i've read 'one cup per serve'... THATS A LOT OF VEGGIES!!! I've never been able to quite grasp this bit.

Any help would be much appreciated! thanks guys.

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1) I usually have one big meal at the beginning of the day, and then smaller meals throughout. Anything you eat technically counts as a meal, so even if it's an apple or a granola bar or something, it counts. Not every meal has to be the exact same size.

2) Salads are probably the best way to accomplish this. One salad can have several servings of veggies in them.
  • Jeezer
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is to keep busy. If you hang around the kitchen, you are going to eat. About the five meals a day, from what I have heard that is a good thing.

You have to focus on things that are filling, if you eat things with fiber then you won't be hungry. At least it works for me

Jeezer
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As far as veggies go, 1/2 a cup is considered a serving, unless you are talking about lettuce, spinach, etc. In that case, 1 cup is a serving.

I personally don't eat 5 "meals". As a teacher, I don't have time for it during the day. However, I always have a snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. It's usually a fruit or vegetable paired with a protein. (Cherry tomatoes and a string cheese, greek yogurt and blueberries, etc.) This helps get my veggie servings in and the protein keeps me going until the next meal.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Okay...here was my day today:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries and Fage yogurt
    Snack 1: Clif bar (I did a 5 mile run)
    Lunch: Edamame salad (edamame, pine nuts, cucumbers, radishes, bell pepper), quinoa, small apple with natural PB.
    Snack 2: Vega protein shake
    Dinner: Spicy tofu with wilted spinich and walnuts and a huge side of roasted root veggies
    Drinks: Water, peppermint tea, 1 glass red wine.

I ate about 7 servings of veggies (I'm also a vegetarian so I have to load up).
    If you want some recipes feel free to PM me or check out my fave site www.vegweb.com
  • anaaho
    anaaho Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The key is to balance your meals. If you do this and keep your portions in control you'll be full and satisfied and your body won't be craving one thing or the other from being deprived
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    I try and eat 200-400 calories per meal and I try and keep them relatively "complete"...a typical day for me looks like this:

BREAKFAST:
    Oatmeal with some deliciousness (like raisins and flax and pumpkin seeds and other goodies)
    SNACK:
    Plain or greek yogurt with mangos or berries
    LUNCH:
    Usually chicken breast with a large salad (or leftovers from dinner)
    SNACK:
    Small handful of almonds
    Piece of fruit
    Cup of raw veggies (carrots, or red peppers...something easy)
    DINNER:
    Another protein and some carbs and more vegetables

If it's all "clean" food (i.e. not processed) it works out to be around 200-400 cals per meal and helps keep you full all day.

I'm still trying to get my bigger meals at the beginning of the day :)

Hope that helps.
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For veggie portions, I find this site helpful:

www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov

It has pictures! :tongue:
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    feel free to check my diary. I get a lot of veggies in and at least 4 fruits every day. I also eat at 8, 10, 12, 3, 6 and 9 p.m.
    I make most of my meals mostly from scratch. I enjoy soups, salads, stews, and just munching on raw veggies.

GL
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Hey Snowy42
    I totally believe in the 5-6 meals a day! If you like u can check out my diary...might give you some ideas!
    Here's what your day could look like:
    -Breakfast: 1 cup scrambled eggwhites with 1/4 diced onion and 1/2 cup of diced bell peppers , 1 stick of light stringcheese, half an apple
    -Snack 1: 1 cup low/non fat greek yoghurt with 1/2 an apple or 1/2 pear or a cup of blueberries
    -Lunch: half a sandwich (use on slice and chop in half) -2 slices of deli turkey breast + baby spinach +laughing cow light cheese wedge as spread+ large slice of tomatoe
    OR
    a large salad- mixed greens, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers + lean protein source
    -Snack 2: low fat cottage cheese w/ berries or sellerie/bellpeppers...
    (-Snack 3: sliced apple/pear with 1 tbsp of natural peanutbutter OR stringcheese + handfull of raw almonds)
    -Dinner: choose from vegge like brokkoli/kale/asparagus/green beans + lean protein (white fish/ chicken breast etc.) +small serving of bulgar or brown rice + olives or some avocado slices

(CAUTION: this is low carb!)

Most important is you get a bit of everything ---> lean protein + healthy fats + complex carbs/vege/legumes/fruit

depending on your personal daily calorie intake, make the right portions!!!!

I for example eat 6 small meals, one every 2-3 hrs (depending on workouts etc.). Breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of about 250 kcals, the snacks 150 kcals. So if I do it right, I get my 1200 calories!!! On workout days I'll alter the meals of course!!!

Hope this helped a little :flowerforyou: