What else is there to eat?

carbons2k
carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Ok so for the last 2 weeks ive been keep track of what I eat and it seems like I eat a lot of egg whites and yogurt for breakfast and salads and veggies for lunch/ dinner. I feel that my body may get "immune" to these foods and I wouldnt be doing much good. Is there anything else I can eat to substitute and not keep my body on a routine for eating? Thanks!

Replies

• for breakfast, I make prepackaged plain oatmeal and add 2 Tsps of peaunut butter to it.... weird.. but it fills me up till lunch and I can eat it in the car if I'm running late.

for lunch I buy Sam's Club veggie tray (has lots of variety) and fill a sandwich bag full and take some cheddar cheese or cottage cheese for lunch..

Dinner is a reasonable portion of whatever we are having as a family that night.
  • Chicken
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Beans
    Nuts
    Lean red meat
    Lean pork
    Whole grains
    Quinoa
    Homemade soups, chilis
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    What's your daily calorie allowance and are you working out? I get bored with foods after a week or two of eating them so I might be able to help you out here, but knowing a little more about you and your habits should help us to answer this question.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    What's your daily calorie allowance and are you working out? I get bored with foods after a week or two of eating them so I might be able to help you out here, but knowing a little more about you and your habits should help us to answer this question.

My daily calorie allowance is 1840. I lost 5lbs in the last week so im thinking its a good #. I go to kickboxing 3 times a week and I play ice hockey at least twice a week. I also get bored of foods too and I feel like Im getting bored already.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    All things in moderation!! I do best if I eat some protein with every meal, about 20 g (daily total of about 100g), and fruits and veggies. I try to keep my carbs natural and low, about 60 g/day. Protein keeps you from getting hungry and limiting simple carbs forces your body to burn up the fat it has stored. Eliminating chemical junk helps too. What I try to keep in mind is if God made it, eat it! If man made it, it's probably not good for you :) Good luck to you!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    I eat pretty much what like, just less of it. I do try to balance my nutrients but I don't lose sleep if I don't manage it. So far its worked for me, 15 weeks in, 31lbs down, menu is fairly varied, not got bored of anything and apart from hormonal cravings I've not had any cravings for banned foods because NOTHING is banned.
  • ickybella
    Ok, well, here are some things I like to eat:

Before workout:

Piece of fruit (mainly bananas)
    porridge/oatmeal, whatever you like to call it. Add a little honey if you like it sweet.
    half a wholemeal/seeded bagel
    smoothie (banana, blueberries, vanilla yogurt, ice cubes)
    And boy oh boy if I could get my hands on some cream of wheat right now, I'd be eating it every morning! Anybody able to find this in the UK?

After workout:

apple with peanut butter
    half a bagel with a slice (16-20g) smoked salmon
    scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1-2 whites) with lots of veggies (cooked from fresh spinach, frozen bell peppers and corn)
    wholegrain english muffin/crumpet with banana and (whole earth, no sugar added) peanut butter, honey if I'm feeling really naughty, and a bit of cinnamon
    chicken wrap (half a chicken breast, cooked, spinach, fresh shredded carrots, sliced bell peppers, tomato and a bit of hummus) but only if I don't have a lot of time for a bigger lunch

Lunch:
    curried lentils (split red lentils with garlic, curry powder, and some added veggies, whatever you like)
    sweet potato fries (sweet potatoes, cut into wedges with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp chili powder
    vegetable soup
    spinach omelette (chopped or pureed spinach mixed with eggs and cooked like an omelette) topped with a little cheese and lots of veggies, a little salsa is good too
    egg burrito (scrambled eggs with salsa, fat free sour cream, a little cheese, lots of spices, some cooked bell peppers and fresh spinach
    sliced zucchini/courgette coated with a little (1 tsp) oil and some seasoning, baked

Dinner:

Chicken curry (very healthy, and can provide you with a recipe upon request)
    Sweet Chili turkey stir fry (curry paste, one-two red chilies, 1 tbsp soy sauce, a little bit of the soft brown sugar (10g), cooked, sliced, turkey breast, a pack of stir-fry veggies, a little chili oil or olive oil to cook it all in)
    Fish and Chips (sweet potato fries, that is) and peas
    butterflied, breaded chicken with veggies
    tuna salad with fat free yogurt instead of mayo, on salad or bread
    chicken fajitas
    beef burritos
    vegetarian curry
    any fish cooked in a foil parcel with some shallot and garlic, with veggies and salad on the side

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of much right now. Let me know if you'd like any recipes. Good luck. Getting bored with your food totally sucks.
  • ickybella
    Yeah, I eat a lot. :laugh:
  • Most weeks I have a mix of the following items;

Tuna, Cottage Cheese, Low-fat Cheese stick, Dietz & Watson turkey breast, Salmon, Chicken, Pork, Homemade Chilli, Chobani Greek yogurt, Detour protein bars, Heathly Life breads (35 cal a slice), Light Thomas English muffin, Egg, Egg Beaters,Rice, Precooked Bacon, fruits & veggies too...

You should be able to find plenty to eat at 1800+ calories a day. Make smart choices and you'll do great!

Good luck.
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Omelet made with sautéed veggies (mushrooms, onions, etc.), 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. I spread Laughing Cow 35 calorie cheese wedge on it. Yum!

Vans Whole Grain Lite waffles with a light syrup or fruit.

Canadian bacon with anything. I love Canadian bacon and it fills me up.

French toast with whole wheat bread.
  • I recommend finding some good cookbooks. I've found various frittata recipes and such you could use for breakfast. In addition I've been nursing a crock pot coffee-braised pot roast, a pan of zucchini lasagna and had "Spicy Joes" last night. My food intake is not repetitive, which I think is definitely one of the reasons that I have been able to be successful.

Check out eatingwell.com, cookinglight.com and the cookbook aisle at your local bookstore for low calorie recipes. There is a LOT of variety out there if you look for it. Check out some sites and see what snags your interest. Eating well even has a whole "Easy" category if you're not big on the cooking.

I get bored with food too and my hubby and I are confessed "foodies." Diet-y food or the same salad, grilled chicken and brown rice would NOT work for us.
This discussion has been closed.