How heavy should my dumbbells be?

Options
Apologies for the stupid question.

I'm trying to do strength exercises as part of my fitness/lose weight regime. I'm a complete beginner so bought some light dumbbells and have been going through the program linked below

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/weighttrainingbasics/a/dumbbells.htm

So I've been doing it with a pair of dumbbells that weigh 5lb each (yes I am a weakling). With these I can do the three sets without any trouble, at the end I'm a bit sweaty. So I'm thinking I should probably upgrade - is that right? Is the aim for it to be a real struggle to finish or should I be doing it with light weights?

I'm a 35 year old woman on a restricted calorie diet, 5'5" and 157lb if that's important.

Replies

• steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would say that depends on what you want to achieve, for tone I always believe high reps with a lower weight worked and for bulk it was high weight with low reps, and certainly a struggle for the last set. There are people on the board way more qualified to quote however i though I would share my thoughts.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    BUMP

interested to hear others views on this as well :)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do routines like this at home and really get the most out of them. You should be lifting a weight that is challenging for you and moving up as soon as the weight is no longer challenging. Having a range of 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 lb dumbbells for arm work would be ideal. I know you say you are weak but in my experience, if you keep up with continuing progressive training you won't be weak for long. When squatting, you're probably going to find that you are way stronger in your glutes and quads than you are your arms. One heavy (heavy is relative to you) dumbbell or kettlebell (for goblet squats) would be a good thing to grab.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you doing all of that in one day? It seems like it would take a long time. I would probably cut out a few exercises and do them in a slightly different order. You could also use different weights for the same exercise, in a pyramid structure. Everybody does it a different way but this is the gist of what I am talking about:

Bent over row - 12 @ 5#, 10 @ 7.5#, 8 @ 10#, then as many reps as possible ("AMRAP") at 5#. Once I get to 15 reps for that last set, I move everything up, meaning that the next workout would be 12@7.5#, 10@10#, 8@12.5#, AMRAP 7.5#.

If you get a set of adjustable dumbbells that can go up in 2.5# intervals, you will find that you progress pretty quickly. Five pounds is definitely light right now but you'll blow through that in no time if you keep adding a little bit of weight at a time. I really like dumbbell handles plus a variety of plates that let you increase by 2.5#. The powerblock dumbbells are nice too because I think they would take a bit less time to adjust (dumbbell handles = a lot of screwing and unscrewing the locks and moving around plates.)
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I started at 5 and just moved to 10. I can barely finish 3 reps so I think I'll hold there

I was told your weight should be something that nearly tires you out..
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    The best way to find out is grab a 5 pounder and see if you can do the exercise with that or not. If you can, how many reps can you do? If you can do more than 12 reps, go up to the next weight. Keep testing until you can't do more than 12 but can do at least 5.

By doing this method, your first day at the gym will be just testing DB weights and will be a good enough workout for your first time out. Later on, if at some point you can do more than 12 of the weight, you just simply move up to the next weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert but I think it should be challenging, even difficult, to get in the last rep.

The real reason I'm replying is to say that if you are going to invest in new dumbbells, I would reccommend getting the kind where you can adust the weight, rather than several sets of dumbbells of varying weight. I have several dumbbells of varying weight that I've had for years, and while they work fine, they take up a lot of room.

My daughter has a set that she can just dial to what weight she wants. I would love to have those, but I'm too cheap to buy them when I already have the old set.

You'll probably need different weights for different lifts though. I think it's common to be able to go with a higher weight for things like lunges, squats and chest presses than for things like lateral raises. Or at least it is for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's a good point. You are going to use very different weights depending on the lifts. I use 10# for tricep extensions and 35# for rows, for instance. Another plus for adustables!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i'm really curious about this too. i don't use the freeweights, but i use the circuit/weight training machines at my gym. in order for me to feel any resistance whatsoever, i have to be up in the 45-75lb range (depending on the exercise). yesterday on the hip add/abductors, i had to go up to 90lbs before i felt enough resistance to make the exercise worthwhile.

i already carry a lot of muscle, always have, but i'm not trying to get cut. i just want to improve the reliability and endurance of what's already there.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm female, 51, 5'5", 132 lbs, and I've been lifting for about 3 years now. I don't do much cardio, but lots of HIIT workouts with weights on non-lifting days.

Here is a bit from my experience:
    Which weight you need depends on many things, including, but not limited to doctor's clearance, your level of experience, your level of mobility, the kind of training (strictly lifting or circuit training with weights), the exercise itself....

For strength training, as guideline, you can test the weights on 3 sets/ 10 reps on any given exercise. If you are able to perform the very last rep on the last set just in good form, almost breaking down, then you have the correct dumbbell (or other equipment) for your level of strength. Adjust up or down from there as needed.

High intensity circuit training sometimes includes similar exercises to strength training. In this case, however, there is a often lot of movement in the exercises, some with upper and lower body involvement at the same time, and you would have to be able to control the weights through the moves. You should start with much lighter weights, and work your way up, to avoid injury, until you are able to safely perform the prescribed number of reps or as many reps as possible for the required time.

It's not a competition with anybody else! Play it safe! Repeated injuries do not equal progress.....

Happy lifting!
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

My aim is just to preserve muscle at the moment while I hopefully lose fat.

I'm doing the routine three times a week - it doesn't take that long (less than an episode of It's Always Sunny) but then that's with the 5lb weights so maybe with the larger ones it might take longer.

I just bought a set of adjustable weights (the poor postman hates me now) that have 2.5kg plates up to 30kg total. Next night I do it I'll see how I get on with them :) Lifting them today though was definitely a struggle compared to the 5lb ones I was using so we'll see.

I'm glad everyone's saying I can swap weights between the lifts - I can do most of them fine but front raises are definitely more of a struggle so I'll stick to using the smaller weights for those.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    When people ask, "what weights should I use?"

I think about a few things.

5# dumbbells? wow, you can almost lift a gallon of milk.
    That head of cabbage I just harvested from my garden? 11#.
    The watermelon I bought two weeks ago, 16#.

I can understand those things being difficult for an elder, retired, and in the twilight of life. However, for others? I mean, I'm not even talking anything hard here. It really boggles my mind.

How much does the average purse weigh? I don't mean a cute little clutch either, but like one of those Battleship Purses/ Bags of Holding? What happens if you have to pick that up?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you have a $100+ dollars to invest. Buy Olympic dumbell handles and Olympic weights. If you ever get the urge to use the barbell later, you'll already have the weights. And you'll be able to easily adjust the dumbell weights when you get stronger.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    here is what i go for as a rule of thumb, and it really depends on your goals... and don't compare your dumbell weight to someone else's weight, everyone is different. you choose a weight according to your rep range.
    for toning you want to struggle a little between 12 and 15 reps, so maybe you can't do the 15th.
    for body building you want to struggle between the 5th and 8th so maybe you can't do the 8th and need a spotter.
    for strength you want to lift in the 1-3 range and struggle on the 3rd and maybe need a spotter.
    do what works for you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    there is no such thing as toning. The range you're suggesting is hypertrophy.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that, I can't say how useful that is :)

I carry 20lb of toddler around for at least 2 hours a day (if you add up all the time she is in my arms) and my arms haven't withered away yet. But it seems as though the lifting exercises maybe use different muscles that I don't use as much in normal day to day life of lifting purses and gallons of milk? I don't know, my mind boggles too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    here is what i go for as a rule of thumb, and it really depends on your goals... and don't compare your dumbell weight to someone else's weight, everyone is different. you choose a weight according to your rep range.
    for toning you want to struggle a little between 12 and 15 reps, so maybe you can't do the 15th.
    for body building you want to struggle between the 5th and 8th so maybe you can't do the 8th and need a spotter.
    for strength you want to lift in the 1-3 range and struggle on the 3rd and maybe need a spotter.
    do what works for you.

Body builders typically work in the 8-12 rep range for most exercise and can even go 15ish on certain exercises/drop sets, you are right about strength, but can still push it to 5 reps, and you don't need to need a spot. for strength you don't have to go to failure, just one rep short of when you may fail, though you should have a spotter there just in case
  • dbmata
    Options
    Jenny, just make sure the work you are doing is useful and efficient. We only need a few movements to get a good general workout. A lot of the other stuff you see at the gym is for posing, bro'ing, and wasting time.

Figure out what you want, how important efficiency is, and then go from there. For example, I do bicep curls and skull crushers. Why? Targeted isolation for hypertrophy. (I'm a dude, I want guns that I don't have to clean with Hoppes when I'm done with them.)

When I want arm strength, I do bench press, pull ups, dips, rows.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be taxing your body on restricted calories. You can take that too far too easily, plus slow down weight loss progress from the increased cortisol (unusually only a temporary issue, but nonetheless tough on a body).

Do fun, light, short workouts only. Vary them in intensity, but stay mainly with cardio. And after a while, start walking while holding one or both dumbbells. It will WAY increase calorie burn.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    OP: you should check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, it has specific workouts, how to do them, recommended sets and reps, etc and even nutritional plans, Lots of women have had good success with it.