Best thing to eat at a Mexican restaurant??

Options

Replies

• jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i usually eat the chicken fajitas and either eat just one tortilla or take my own light ones... Eat the beans and rice (1/2 C)if you have it in your calorie budget
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually a good bet... Also, we have a place down here that serves a quesadilla fajita. It's a quesadilla that's got a "smear" of beans on it, then loaded with fajita steak/chicken/both and veggies with some queso fresco sprinkled on top, folded over, then grilled. Comes with a mexican salad too, with some guac and a little sour cream.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I usually get steak fajitas without tortillas, and white queso cheese on top.

White queso is the best queso.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Eat what you really like.
    This one day won't destroy everything.
    Remember this ....tomorrow is another day.
    Just keep moving forward.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    One of everything.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Real margaritas. And maybe some food.
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! The only reason I am really stressing, is I am finally back on track and starting to lose again after reaching my goal, then gaining 25lbs back. And I gained them back by not planning and caring what I ate anymore.

Great tips here! :)
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Just eat half of the entree and save the rest for tomorrow's lunch!

just half of the starter and then all of the main?
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree chicken fajitas are the safest, especially for me because I hate vegetables so I end up just eating chicken in a tortilla lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat the chips.
    I eat the tortillias.
    I eat the beans and rice...

If I'm not eating those then why am I even out at a Mexican place to begin with?

The place we go to doesn't give you free refills of chips so that's nice. Because once the basket is gone it's gone. I normally eat half of them. And I'm ok with that. I get what I want - and I normally eat half of that too. I DO FIND that Steak Quesidillas are pretty calorie friendly and I really love them. I just eat til I'm full. I eat what I want, but don't over do it. I find THAT'S the hardest part when going out to eat. Eating til your food is gone vs just eating til your full. If I eat til I'm full my calories always fall in place and the best part, I get to eat it again the next day ^_^

That's good advice except for people like me who never get full unless I just eat way way too much.

Anyway, I typically get two tacos with beans on the side. Probably 800ish calories total.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I order a marinated grilled chicken breast and ask them to hold the beans, rice and just put salad on the plate or sautéed veggies.
    Or I order skirt steak with a salad.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    large-frosty-dos-equis.jpg

Stay Thirsty my friend.
  • ceasarjamandre
    ceasarjamandre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about Grilled Fish Tacos?

Im new to this. Ive never cared about what I ate - passed 40 and now I got to work on it
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    margarita2_nc1.jpg

Everything else is optional.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fajitas with corn tortillas. They have half as many calories as flour. Or fish tacos can be good and pretty low on the calories.

Good advice! Fajitas are the best bet and I always order NOT flour, but corn tortillas and I try not to order queso or eat the beans they normally are cooked with lard. BUT, someone did make a good point. There isnt harm in eating what you want, in moderation and sensible portion. You can't "Diet" your whole life. Just allow a workout that day and watch calories. Life should be enjoyed not restricted. Also, I order Caldo de Pollo (chicken soup) with no rice or Ceviche. Its delish!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm in CA so lot's of Mexican food. I usually get a veg burrito without rice and only eat a few chips. It's usually my biggest meal for the day so I watch it the rest of the day. Sometimes I get large agua frescas which are hug cal bombs. That pic of the margarita is amazing, now I want one.
  • VoodooDonut
    Options
    Chicken fajitas are fairly low for Mexican.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I like carnitas, personally.
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Dont stress too much. Good items to go for are fajitas as said, if you have to have the tortillas go with corn.I always make a choice of cheese OR sour cream because I refuse to deprive myself. Have beans! Good source of protein. Chicken or steak are better (read leaner) than ground beef or pork. Skip the margarita. and again...Enjoy!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I eat Mexican often - almost always local places w/ no nutrition facts available. As for ordering, I usually handle it one of three ways.

A) order 1-2 spinach enchiladas a la carte with red sauce.

B) order a full meal like burrito + tostada or enchilada + 2 tacos etc..., take it easy on the tortilla (for example maybe eat the filling of my burrito), choose verde or red sauce over queso and sour cream based sauces, and eat just a tiny bit (maybe 1/4) of the beans and rice

C) order something huge yet pretty healthy and chow down -- there's a place near me that does fajita beef or chicken over a thin layer of rice with a SMALL amount of queso and very thin layer of cheese on the bottom, and a huge amount of steamed vegetables...easily 2 cups of veg. I eat all of the beef or chicken and all of the veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, squash, carrots, onions) and have some but not all of the cheesy rice part.

In all three scenarios, I drink a lot of water and don't eat any chips and salsa. I know some people live for chips & salsa so I can understand them making room in the meal...but that's something I have never really cared much for so it is not a sacrifice for me.