Advice for Ectomorph Gains

Options
I'm 6'6" and generally fluctuate between 219-222 lbs., lifting 4-5 times/wk averaging about 45 min. in duration each. Almost always a very short jog pre-workout to 'get the blood pumping'. Eating a fair amount but could likely force myself to have more: 3 solid meals and two smaller 'snacks' peppered in on a daily basis. Short-term goal is to maintain 220 but would like to reach a healthy 225 in the near future.

Would love any advice on how to maintain and periodically gain weight as an ectomorph given what I do now. Granted there are various theories/suggestions including the infamous JUST EAT MORE mantra, I'd be curious to hear any lifting techniques, eating habits, etc. that may have helped others with a slim build.

Thanks!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Eating more is obvious but I wouldn't go daft. If you decide to bulk a few pounds, I'd limit it to 400-500 surplus so you're not piling on too much fat.

I have no theories on lifting routines, I'm relatively new to this game and just stuck to the same routine I'd used while cutting. Second time round I might switch it up but I'm still researching :/

Edit for autocorrect :/
  • mattyice1989
    mattyice1989 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @3laine75, thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions for meals/snacks that are calorie-heavy but aren't too unhealthy? I know I do have trouble getting my calorie count up.

In regards to routine, something I've been doing recently has been to significantly up weight and lower the reps (3 sets x 8 reps generally for a given exercise). I assume this is pretty standard knowledge for 'gaining' but I had never really applied it until a few months ago and it's definitely helping. Some element of muscle confusion seems to help too i.e. when I come back around to back/bis in a week (3 day rotation) I will focus back and then super-set exercises with curls whereas the first time around it was vice versa, focusing bis with a back super-set.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Reduce workout frequency to 3 times per week. Stick with compound movements (deadlifts, squats etc). Perform lower reps higher weight with more rest between sets. Keep upping your food intake until you start to gain weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Just some quick info first: Somatotypes are a myth. They were created by a psychologist to categorize people based on behaviors.

With that aside, you want to gain size here's what you do:

Volume training: More sets in the range of 16 per body part
    Progress resistance: Up the weights when you can
    Calorie surplus: Can't gain without adding calories

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Reduce workout frequency to 3 times per week. Stick with compound movements (deadlifts, squats etc). Perform lower reps higher weight with more rest between sets. Keep upping your food intake until you start to gain weight.
    Wouldn't necessarily increase size, but strength here. Getting stronger doesn't always result in getting bigger.

IDEA Fitness member
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    @3laine75, thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions for meals/snacks that are calorie-heavy but aren't too unhealthy? I know I do have trouble getting my calorie count up.

In regards to routine, something I've been doing recently has been to significantly up weight and lower the reps (3 sets x 8 reps generally for a given exercise). I assume this is pretty standard knowledge for 'gaining' but I had never really applied it until a few months ago and it's definitely helping. Some element of muscle confusion seems to help too i.e. when I come back around to back/bis in a week (3 day rotation) I will focus back and then super-set exercises with curls whereas the first time around it was vice versa, focusing bis with a back super-set.

from my understanding size gains happen best in an 8-12 rep range for upper body and 10-15 reps range for lower body (maybe with squats and deads 8 reps are good, but accessory lifts and isolation work at the higher reps) with high volume. But of course you will have to be in a caloric surplus
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just some quick info first: Somatotypes are a myth. They were created by a psychologist to categorize people based on behaviors.

With that aside, you want to gain size here's what you do:

Volume training: More sets in the range of 16 per body part
    Progress resistance: Up the weights when you can
    Calorie surplus: Can't gain without adding calories

IDEA Fitness member

correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was more sets like you suggest for the larger muscle groups, but less for smaller ones (i.e. biceps, assuming you don't count back work as targeting biceps)?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So I just started my bulk a few days into August.....so about 1 month in now.

What I have done so far is this::

1 week at 2800 cals (what I believe to be my maintenance)
    Then bumped to 3200 cals and been there for the past 3 weeks.
    Going to 3500 on this Sunday (09/07/14)...will do that for a couple weeks and see how I progress weight wise.

For training I am doing this....
    I am doing Layne Norton's PHAT program with my own tweaks to it.....
    So 1 Upper Heavy Day, 1 Lower Heavy Day
    Then 3 hypertrophy days.....
    2 rest days

Oh and I am 6'1" and ~172lb right now.
  • mattyice1989
    Options
    @212019156, I like your concise advice and have been pretty much adhering to that the past few months minus limiting to 3 days/wk. What’s your logic for that aside from the obvious of allowance for more rest?

@erickirb, I hadn’t realized that more reps were generally better for lower body so I’ll look into that and most likely apply that to my leg workouts. Thanks for the tip.

@MityMax96, forgive the naivety but can you elaborate on what a ‘hypertrophy day’ entails?
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 bulks. 165>180, and 170>186. I'm currently cut back down to 165. I gained 1 lb. per week eating 3,000-3,300 cals both times. First bulk was 'clean' food and 2nd bulk was IIFYM. No difference in results. Gained plenty of fat both times. I followed a very simple SL5x5 routine on the 2nd bulk with some additional accessory work and saw some good strength gains. Can you share some pics? 6'6" 220 sounds pretty solid to me.

....and ice cream works great for adding in the extra calories.
  • MityMax96
    Options

@MityMax96, forgive the naivety but can you elaborate on what a ‘hypertrophy day’ entails?

Where your rep range is >8 - 10 reps
    I have some exercises I do for 15 - 20 reps......

The heavy days will be a rep range of 3 - 5.....

So for hypertrophy, you are trying to get the muscle to take in more fluid.....so it gets that size you want.....so you do higher reps

For strength gains, you are just trying to cause an overload on the muscle to stimulate it....so that is why you do 3 - 5 reps heavy.
  • mattyice1989
    Options
    @MityMax96, ah that makes sense, thanks for elaborating.

@NRBreit, I do love me some ice cream haha. And yea I'll see what I can muster up later this evening for a pic. In all seriousness I think I need to just start tracking my calorie intake to see what I manage to put down each day and then adjust from there.. at this moment I can only guess and surely it wouldn't be accurate. I bet I don't get upwards of 3k if that.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    welcome

Good Luck
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload with a caloric surplus mate, i'd stick to training 4 days a week instead of 5. dedicate each sessions to one of the big lifts, bench, squat etc.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 bulks. 165>180, and 170>186. I'm currently cut back down to 165. I gained 1 lb. per week eating 3,000-3,300 cals both times. First bulk was 'clean' food and 2nd bulk was IIFYM. No difference in results. Gained plenty of fat both times. I followed a very simple SL5x5 routine on the 2nd bulk with some additional accessory work and saw some good strength gains. Can you share some pics? 6'6" 220 sounds pretty solid to me.

....and ice cream works great for adding in the extra calories.

A "clean" bulk just means a more conservative calorie surplus, not "clean" foods. You can do a "clean" or a "dirty" bulk on completely whole foods or on pizza, beer, and ice cream. Only difference is surplus.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Something I would like to try at some point (would help w/ a partner) is German Volume Training......

Looks interesting
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Something I would like to try at some point (would help w/ a partner) is German Volume Training......

Looks interesting

I have a friend who did that--he got amazing results.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Looks interesting

How long did he do it for?

It really intrigues me and I would like to do it....
    But I know I need a partner
  • TriLifter
    Options

Looks interesting

How long did he do it for?

It really intrigues me and I would like to do it....
    But I know I need a partner

He did it for 12 weeks. I just asked him about his gains...he did it a number of years ago and his response was "I'm not sure exactly, but I remember I gained a lot of volume and strength. I remember that I looked bigger."
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ok, good to know.
    Thanks