Resistance Bands

Options
I've been looking at rowing machines for several years now thinking they looked pretty awesome. But living in a tiny duplex leaves no room for any exercise equipment. Then the other day I saw someone working out with a resistance band almost exactly like a rowing machine. Just sitting on the floor with the band on the bottom of their shoes, keeping their legs straight, "rowing" back and forth. And I thought I'd found the best of both worlds; a space-saving rower! Does anyone have any pros or cons for "rowing" with resistance bands? Or any other workout using them?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at rowing machines for several years now thinking they looked pretty awesome. But living in a tiny duplex leaves no room for any exercise equipment. Then the other day I saw someone working out with a resistance band almost exactly like a rowing machine. Just sitting on the floor with the band on the bottom of their shoes, keeping their legs straight, "rowing" back and forth. And I thought I'd found the best of both worlds; a space-saving rower! Does anyone have any pros or cons for "rowing" with resistance bands? Or any other workout using them?

It would be a completely different exercise. In rowing a good deal of the initial force comes from your legs, with a resistance band and straight legs it would be pure upper body exercise (which doesn't mean it's a bad thing, just not the same)

If space is the problem it may interest you to know that a Concept2 can be taken apart into 2 pieces in a matter of seconds.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Your muscles don't know what's causing resistance. It's just important that you have some sort of resistance. You can even row on a bike to get the same workout.

2013-12-06+Bicycle+Friends+Weird+Bike+Thingy.gif
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have used the rowing machines from time to time but have given it up due to back issues. I had a sore back for a number of years..doesnt bother me now but using the rowing machine seems to aggravate it.. It may be my technique whatever. My point is if you have back issues you may want to consider another type of workout. Would hate to see you waste money and energy on something that you would not be able to use much.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands all the time. That is a great idea. I think I will try it myself.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It would be a different exercise than a rowing machine, as previous poster stated. But, still not a bad exercise. If you're going to do this exercise with the bands, I suggest lifting your legs up off the floor (almost like a half boat yoga pose) and row that way with your legs in the air, parallel to the ground. Works your arms and your core.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pros:
    As you've said, they take up WAY less space.
    Portable
    Adjustable/varying resistance levels (to a point)
    Numerous exercises you can do

Cons:
    Eventually you'll run out of effective resistance.
    Not ALL exercises are doable

There are quite a few exercises that ARE doable with a resistance band though. Youtube has a gazillion of those. Squats, deadlifts, rows, kickbacks, curls, flyes, the list goes on.