Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it fun to be hot.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I thought sushi was low calorie? Surely you know when you're going to have these outings with friends. If you want to appease them, just budget your calories to accommodate 3 sushi rolls and some margaritas.

If you really don't want extra though, keep telling them no or make new friends. Once I started getting fit (and my friends stayed the same), I realized I had to find new friends.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

In that case, you are the most fun person I know baybee......:love:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    You are also "less fat".

^^what I was about to say

Also this thread is very ironic since I am sitting at my computer stuffing my face with California rolls.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Sometimes watching what you eat can be real fun...:wink:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Oh this reminds me a post yesterday about a survey of British women who said they prefered chubbier men because the fit men weren't as much fun.

Maybe eat and drink slower? Nurse your sushi roll or drink so that you won't be ready for another as soon as everyone else. Order a club soda with lime so it looks like you are drinking a mixed drink. Find a lower calorie drink so you can enjoy 2 (if you want). Liquor mixed with a low calorie mixer is going to be much lower in calories than the typical bar marguarita.

Maybe exercise more on days you go out so you can have one more without blowing your calories through the roof.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found the same reaction from people around me. Like they can't enjoy the goodies as much because I'm not partaking as whole heartedly as I used to. I feel I have to reassure them that when I reach my goal weight I'll lighten up a little. These same people seem to be able to have a few goodies and stop and stop and not gain any weight but historically I just keep on going once the flood gates are open!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Who ARE these people? No one in my life has ever cared what or how much I was eating.

I do have a few alcoholics around me who try to push me to drink sometimes (I'm just not much of a drinker) but they don't care if I'm dieting.

It's the same thing; your friends want you to drink when they're drinking while her friends want her to eat and drink when they're doing it. I'm pretty sure that your friends have mocked you and laughed at you a time or two for being such a stickler when it comes to booze just like she's being heckled by her friends for monitoring her food intake and booze consumption while they're not doing it.
    True.

I guess I know more drinkers than eaters. lol

Honestly, though, it's only maybe three people in my entire social circle, but they are people I've known my entire life. Not sure we'd be friends as adults if we'd just met.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just go out of my way to not mention that I watch what I eat. When I was very anorexic, people never noticed. I didn't make a big deal out of it because I didn't want them to notice...and boom, they didn't. I know that my behavior was unhealthy, but that isn't the point. The point is, it's possible to be watching your diet like a hawk and not have people be aware of it.

Maybe you just mention it more than you think you do? Or maybe they're just insecure jerks. Only you know. :) If they are just insecure jerks, I am very sorry. That's not on you, and it doesn't make you a boring person. If you're mentioning it more often than you'd realized, it's an easy fix!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

In that case, you are the most fun person I know baybee......:love:

:laugh: :blushing:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I usually find I can go out with them and order a black coffee (Americanos, fancy teas - they sound decadent but have next to no calories) and they don't even notice if I'm not eating. Or I'll just have a few bites and box the food up. You can also order diet drinks if you don't like coffee or tea. I dunno, I feel like you could go and have a good time and they really shouldn't even notice what you've ordered. Isn't that the point of going out? So you can get what you want, not what they want?

For ice cream and cake and booze - I have an easy out... allergic! Truly for me. All of my friends had been out with me before I started dieting and got to see me go to the bathroom multiple times for 15 minutes a pop - and I'm pretty vocal about my BMs later - if it grosses them out, they'll stop talking about it haha.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Oh this reminds me a post yesterday about a survey of British women who said they prefered chubbier men because the fit men weren't as much fun.

Maybe eat and drink slower? Nurse your sushi roll or drink so that you won't be ready for another as soon as everyone else. Order a club soda with lime so it looks like you are drinking a mixed drink. Find a lower calorie drink so you can enjoy 2 (if you want). Liquor mixed with a low calorie mixer is going to be much lower in calories than the typical bar marguarita.

Maybe exercise more on days you go out so you can have one more without blowing your calories through the roof.

Great ideas!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    GRRRRRRR. Just because I don't down 3 sushi rolls anymore or not always willing to partake in a margarita happy hour doesn't mean I'm not fun anymore. I pick and choose my indulgences. If I want a margarita I will have one, but I don't want a pitcher once a week anymore. If I want sushi, I get ONE roll, and not as often. But I'm still me and more than willing to come along for a good time and maybe split something.

It's getting frustrating hearing this from friends, coworkers, etc. Those who have gone through this, how did you cope? I'm getting close to getting super sassy :grumble:

You probably are less fun, but for the reason you might not think. Dietary changes can make you more irritable, and you may be so focused on your goal, that becomes your conversation. Like anything you persue individually, be it buying a house, persuing a career, or having a new love (guy, hobby, whatever), it's not going to be "fun" conversation for people that aren't also doing what you're doing. That super sassy grumble may be more about your hunger, hormone, and obsession level than anything your friends say.

Take it down a notch, they don't call it hangry for nothing.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    In the past two years of losing weight, I haven't skipped out on a single event because of food.

Friends want to go to a buffet? No problem. I look up whatever I can find nutritionally and try to eat dishes that will help me hit my macros (ie. lean proteins, vegetables that aren't coated in sauces) and I always get fruit for dessert over the cakes/brownies/ice cream whatever.

It's happy hour and my co-workers want to head out for a drink? No problem. If I've got calories to spare, I'll have something. If I don't, I'll drink water. The point is that you're there for the experience.

It's your birthday and someone buys you a cupcake? THE HORROR. Eat it if you like cupcakes and if you feel like you must, do something active to burn off those 300 calories.

The reality is, life is full of activities that will in some way involve food or liquid calories, if you're taking yourself out of the equation and just not going, that's your decision. But you can certainly still go, and stick to your intake.

I have encouraged my friends to get involved with activities that aren't necessarily food based, or which have foods that I feel comfortable enjoying. My SO and I held a dinner party a few months back for a bunch of our friends, which was really fun, and since I made all the food, I had complete control over what I was eating. I've also convinced several of my friends to go for a hike or trail walk instead of sitting down at a cafe. Over time, you'll find what works for you.

This.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Since I don't know the "background story" on this, I'll just say a few things....

I've found it best not to necessarily mention or talk a lot about what you are or are not eating.... (people don't understand, they jump to conclusions, and they certainly don't want to know how many calories, fat grams, etc. are in what they're eating.)

If someone "notices" the change in your behavior, just tell them you're trying to make "healthier choices". (truth, and much easier to deal with than the word "diet" or "lifestyle change")

Mostly, I have to assure my family that they don't need to fix special meals for me or avoid having certain foods at any event. I'm perfectly capable of making good choices with what I have to work with (well, most of the time, lol). Even if it's not the healthiest food, has a lot of calories, etc... then I just have less of it. Once they see that I pretty much eat whatever, they seem to relax a lot more.

Hopefully this helps... :flowerforyou:

And this.