WAYY too much alcohol

Options

Replies

• Jamerlynn85
    Jamerlynn85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As far as the concerns about alcoholism, my advice is if you think it's a problem then it is. Admitting there's a problem is the first step and there are lots of sources of help available. Good luck.

That being said, alcohol and weight loss just don't mix! It's a sad fact, but true. I've found scientific studies that say alcohol is processed differently in the human body than any other calorie because your body views it as a toxin that needs to be eliminated as soon as possible. Because of that your body will process the alcohol first to get rid of it and store whatever other calories you've consumed as FAT. To make it worse, alcohol stimulates hunger. I've cut down drinking to special occasions only. Generally like junk food and sweets, alcohol should be limited as much as possible to lose weight (or eliminated!).
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm not saying this is you, but I made stupid deals with myself for years. Just a few cigarettes, just two margaritas. I'll never drive. My kids are little, I deserve to relax. Then my kids are big I have to hide. And then...finally I had to quit, everything. And, it was so hard. Try AA, it's not a life sentence, you don't have to go back. Just one evening, instead of five or six Jack Daniels, go listen to some shares. It really works. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • rogerjanes
    Options
    Hi,
    I can relate to the alcohol problem. I started MFP one month ago and for the first two weeks decided to include a scotch ration into my calorie allowance. I allowed myself six standard drinks each evening as part of an 1800 calorie plan.
    While we are talking full disclosure, it was not uncommon for me before to ease half a bottle of scotch away (13 standard drinks) every night - and then sometimes a red or two! Just the scotch equated to 900 calories - or just over half of my new daily allowance.
    Surprisingly, I did lose a few kilos during those first few weeks as I had also increased (started) to exercise.
    I then decided to accelerate my weight loss to see some immediate and more fulfilling results. I went on to the cabbage soup diet which brought my calories down - especially the first four days! - for one week and stopped drinking. After the cabbage soup diet I stayed off the alcohol and am really enjoying the results.
    I drink lite cranberry juice, soda water and lime and the occasional diet coke when I want a drink.
    I am feeling great and even though I fell off the wagon last Sunday - Fathers Day - and dropped a quick half a bottle, (I felt a bit cloudy Monday morning) I am back to no alcohol and actually feeling great.
    The other tough fact is that when your body receives alcohol into the system it is recognised as a toxin. All work on food and nutrition processing stops and the food is turned to fat. All attention is turned to dealing with the alcohol - which has no nutritional value, but still plenty of calories. No wonder we struggle to lose weight whilst drinking.

We all have the will power - you just have to find it. I will not give up alcohol for good - but I know the affect it has on my weight loss efforts and for me that has been my motivation to cut right back. Without a really good reason to drink - don't.
    Good luck to you.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Buzzed driving is drunk driving.
  • macnma01
    macnma01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP seriously in June, I decided not to drink at all. This was the beginning of the summer and I live in a city where drinking is the center of almost every social event. My friends go out for drinks 3-4 times a week. I enjoy trying new beers and old favorites. It was hard. Really really hard. My friends questioned me. Told me I could have one drink and it wouldn't kill me. But as soon as I realized not only how much money I was saving, but how many calories I was saving, it didn't bother me as much. I'm not going to pretend that I haven't missed out on the occasional social event, but I still can't bring myself to go to a crowded bar on a Saturday night without a little liquid courage. Still working on the self-confidence a bit! But I've also been able to find new bars in the city and dragged my friends to different neighborhoods in order to get away from the crazy bars we usually frequent. And did I mention how much money I've saved? I'm not saying I'm going to be sober for the rest of my life, but this is the first time since I started college that I have had more than a week or so without drinking. I am not going to not drink for the rest of my life, but I will find a way to enjoy it more healthfully. Soda water instead of tonic mixed with vodka instead of any dark liquor. Light beers are okay too. Any other suggestions are welcome!
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I must be one of the only teenagers that doesn't drink lol
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    When a hard apple cider (220 calories) is 1/6 - 1/7 of my total daily calories it's just not worth it to me. Good luck! *HUGS*
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with alcohol. I actually don't believe the AA version of alcoholism holds true for me, well-intentioned as it is.

Some things that helped me, with no particular reference to anyone else's situation, are:

1. Go on a night out and look at the drunks. Everyone looks like that when they're drunk including you.
    2. People make stupid decisions when they've been drinking. Would you deliberately do anything else that affected your judgement? It's a bit like driving a car while wearing a blindfold.
    2. It's a habit that took years to form. You are going to feel wrong doing it at first, because your body expects it.
    3. No-one actually notices if you don't drink as much as them. A couple of people may nag about it. Ignore them, they're going to be dull (see no.1).
    4. It doesn't matter if you do drink too much one night. Feel stupid the next morning, then start not drinking again.
    5. If you do feel the urge to have a drink, it goes away in a bit.

I'm sending you positive thoughts. I have a much better life now I drink less - wouldn't you like to join me? :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with alcohol. I actually don't believe the AA version of alcoholism holds true for me, well-intentioned as it is.

Some things that helped me, with no particular reference to anyone else's situation, are:

1. Go on a night out and look at the drunks. Everyone looks like that when they're drunk including you.
    2. People make stupid decisions when they've been drinking. Would you deliberately do anything else that affected your judgement? It's a bit like driving a car while wearing a blindfold.
    2. It's a habit that took years to form. You are going to feel wrong doing it at first, because your body expects it.
    3. No-one actually notices if you don't drink as much as them. A couple of people may nag about it. Ignore them, they're going to be dull (see no.1).
    4. It doesn't matter if you do drink too much one night. Feel stupid the next morning, then start not drinking again.
    5. If you do feel the urge to have a drink, it goes away in a bit.

I'm sending you positive thoughts. I have a much better life now I drink less - wouldn't you like to join me? :smile:

I am very curious as to what you think AAs version of alcoholism is?
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I drink a bunch of whiskey and vodka every day... doesn't affect my weight or my running.... if didn't drink hard and run hard, I'd be a basket case...

This^^^ This is totally me - lose my sanity or set aside a few hundred calories daily?

Yeahhhhhhhh I'll take the latter :wink:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you need 5-6 drinks a night, moderation for weight loss is definitely not what you should be worried about. You need to go to AA or get help of some kind. Take care of the drinking first and then worry about losing weight. It's not good for your mental state or your physical well-being. I wish you the best!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Alcohol was definitely impeding on my goals for sure.

My husband and I were having a bottle (or 2) of wine a night. In the summer time it's nice to relax on the front porch with wine or have some while I'm canning vegetables. It had become a habit for us. 4 o'clock rolled around and that was "wine o'clock" so we'd stop work, head outside, relax and drink. Then it seemed like the weekends revolved around booze: going out to dinner, heading out on our friends boat . . . The turning point for me was Labor Day weekend where several days before and the weekend was a booze fest. By time Sunday came around -- and this was a day we were heading out to a bar on our friends boat -- I was so done with drinking. I did have some cocktails but I spread them out and I drank a lot of water in between. Let me tell you, being a sober person at a bar is negative fun! :laugh:

We pretty much have eliminated booze during the week for the most part (we had some last Friday and Sunday and Tuesday when we went out to dinner but it was limited) and I feel SO MUCH better for not having it. Not only that but I'm not going over my calories by a huge amount because of the booze.

Now I don't even realize when "wine o'clock" rolls around because I'm not thinking about it and it's no longer a habit. I have gone back to looking forward to relaxing with a glass of wine with dinner on a Friday or Saturday night which was something that was lost when we were having wine every night.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I drink ALL THE BOOZE!

Also...
    6edba78d683b582612af76301da13513.jpg

HAHAHHAHAHA I love every bit of this post! :heart:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    h8142BE12
  • belrowley
    Options
    It is too easy to drink too many calories! I started my 30 day no alcohol "challenge" on September 1st. Then only weekends for this girl. And, way more self moderation. If I can't do that, I am quitting altogether. Good luck everyone.
  • cdoesthehula
    Options

Well, I should preface this by saying I've never been a member of AA, or gone to a meeting.

But based on what I've read about the AA method, I don't believe that (a) I need to find religion, or (b) have to never drink again.

Of course, if it helps you live a happier life, then more power to you. It isn't for me though.

These days, I genuinely could take it or leave it. And it doesn't fit in with my goals, so I almost always leave it.

Is my understanding of this wrong?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Well, I should preface this by saying I've never been a member of AA, or gone to a meeting.

But based on what I've read about the AA method, I don't believe that (a) I need to find religion, or (b) have to never drink again.

Of course, if it helps you live a happier life, then more power to you. It isn't for me though.

These days, I genuinely could take it or leave it. And it doesn't fit in with my goals, so I almost always leave it.

Is my understanding of this wrong?

Well, it kinda is. Religion is a no no in AA, we believe that a power greater than us can lead us to sanity. Religion is not what AA is about because religion has nothing to do with spirituality. We do believe in a higher power, but it does not have to be an imaginary air god, many people choose for their definition of GOD as Good Orderly Direction.

And as far as never have to drink again, well, its not a club that has rules that will kick you out if you do not abide by. I am what is called a one chip wonder because I have only picked up one white chip. That does not happen very often. Many people relapse, many people drink again. We are alcoholics, drinking is what we do. I have sat in many meetings with people reeking of booze. Unless they become disruptive and violent, they are as welcome as anyone else.

Working the steps of AA is the single best thing I ever did in my life. I wish everyone far and wide would be willing to work on themselves with the steps.

The representation of AA that the movies and tv shows drives many of us crazy because they are not represented accurately..

There are also some people that replace drinking with meetings. Some take the teachings to a radical extreme and can represent the program in a negative light as well. So I beg of you, do not count AA out unless you actually try and and see it is not for you. And I will agree, it is not for everyone. But if you want to stop drinking AND be happy about it, then AA is a wonderful way to get there.
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    That's a nice insight. Thank you. :smile:
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    I'm also not into the AA thing. I won't define myself as an eternal alcohol and start every day with "Hi I'm an alcoholic." I believe in positive thinking, not negative thinking. With an attitude like that I would be doomed to failure.

But, I am starting my 30 day no alcohol challenge today. :)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am in the wine business, so drinking wine is a daily part of my world.

That being said, when my Dr. told me that I had to lower my blood pressure, I went on a total cleanse. I am eating a low sodium diet and have completely cut out wine. I do still taste, with my staff, but I spit. In fact, we just spent three days in Washington wine country and I spit every ounce.

When I reach my goal weight, I will add wine back in, but on a smaller scale than in the past.

As of right now, I have not consumed wine since mid-May. By my calculations, my next glass should be sometime after the first of the year. Although, I probably will enjoy a glass of something wonderful on Thanksgiving and Christmas, if it feels right to do so.

Alcohol, no matter the type, truly is just empty calories. For those who drink cocktails, add the calories (and usually sugar) of any mixers.