HOLIDAY EATING HELP

Options
Can't resist holiday cookies chips appetizers and other treats.. I was doing so well until this week

Replies

• Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
  • goodcat
    Options
    It's ok. Just keep your main number of calories in mind every day. One day I had a lot of potato chips and so, after figuring out what I did, had to just eat veggies the rest of the day to make up for it. I've also done some exercise to compensate. Finally, I've just skipped a day and started fresh the next day. The key is consistency. If you fall down, get up and get going again. Remember, it's not really a diet that we're on, it's a lifestyle change!
    Last thing I try to remember, you can be happy eating that particular item for 5 minutes or, you can be happy being smaller, healthier and more attractive for a LONG time! Grab the glass of water whenever you can instead!~
    Good luck! Happy holidays and let yourself have a cookie or two.... just not five! LOL! Will be doing this with you.... all season long. ;-)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Me too... I'd lost 24 lbs... and gained almost 6 in the past week~!
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you are not on a diet...but undergoing a life style change....if you are eating so that you fill deprived...maybe you should check your "diet"
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know all of this stuff is going to be around when I visit family. Thankfully my family is so predictable that I know what they'll bring. I'm going to figure out what the serving sizes are and what I can have before hand. Then I'm going to earn the calories in the gym the day before and the day after. I know it's not the best solution (which would be to abstain from the goodies) but I know I won't be able to.

I aint 'fraid of no thin mint! :D
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! between both my jobs i'm surrounded by fudge and cookies and home baked breads! Not to mention the celebrations and gift exchanges where the wine is following, I've gained 3lbs this month. I've signed up for a bootcamp to at least burn the extra calories, and I'm trying not to be too hard myself. This is what this time of year is all about. Friends, Family and Food! Don't beat yourself up. But don't totally fall off the wagon.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    We did our grocery shopping for Christmas last night. In our "former" life we would buy all sorts of salted and coated nuts, chocolates, cookies, etc.
    We did look at a few and read the calorie and nutritional info and just couldn't bring ourselves to consume anything . . . until I found some gingerbread men . . . 160 calories for 2 big cookies . . . a treat that I can live with and still feel like Im making the best decision for my health!

When you are faced with a temptation and don't think that you can live with only one bite . . . repeat the following . . . NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SLIM FEELS.

I am over 60% of the way to my goal and my results are now what prevent me from overindulging. We have had every "bad" treat possible at work every day lately and I have one small bite and walk away because I just feel too darn good about how far I have come to undo it.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can't either. This time of year is horrible. I've vowed to exercise my tail off all week and allow myself to indulge while still keeping calories in mind during the Christmas parties. It's hard considering you never know how to count things, so I've decided to pick my FAVORITE and indulge a bit. I won't beat myself up and will kick my butt into gear the next day! I only do this on these major holidays, and since this is a lifestyle change, I refuse to ignore things all together. It's not realistic for me. Good luck!
  • andsjhunni2
    Options
    Thank u all for all the great advice !! it is much appreciated. I really want this. I hope I can be good I am going to just try to count the calories of everything I eat. LETS all hang in there for the holidays ! thank u for the wonderful support it helps ! :)
  • Jessanova
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have a huge Italian family and on Xmas Eve, we're having dinner here... Xmas day they're barbecuing at a family friends... then you have New Years.

Holy hell, I know I'll do good, but I also know I'm going to have to work out hard as ever to get rid of it!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think denying yourself food makes it more likely to binge out. Get in some extra exercise before the big family get togethers. Have a small portion of whatever you like and put your fork down between bites. I find the more I tell myself I'm not going to have something, the more likely it is I"m going to eat ALL of that something.
  • mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have allowed myself to eat the sweets, but instead of the 6 cookies I would have eaten last year I only have one or two. I certainly put them on my log and have to adjust my exercise and other meals with that in mind.

Just enjoy your holiday and start each day fresh!!