Hip Hop Abs/Shred ??

ElizabethMcCathern
ElizabethMcCathern Posts: 114
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So my brother just gave me the Hip Hop Abs system and my mom gave me the 30 Day Shred. I'm pretty much a workout beginner and was wondering if it was possible or advisable to combine these and if not, which is better?

Any advice would be very appreciated. :D

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    its definitely possible. I do both all the time.I LOVE LOVE LOVE hip hop abs. It's so great. Its fun and energetic and it goes by quickly. It doesn't feel like a workout, more like a dance class. 30 day shred i get bored with very easily but thats just me. It's possible to do both,maybe not in the same day if you're a beginner, but you could alternate.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I don't have hip hop abs, but I do have 30 day shred and LOVE it!! I mix it up with a couple other Biggest Loser dvds. You will probably have to improvise some of the moves when you first start. I did. I am now up to using 8lb weights. I did it in 60 days the first time I attempted it. It was too much for my body to do it every day when I first started working out.
    Good luck!
  • Thank you!
    I haven't done either, but i've skimmed through them all and it SEEMED reasonable to alternate between the two (HHA one day and the Shred the next), but then I started seeing people talk about how they were so exhausted by the Shred and got knee injuries and such. It scared me. hahahaha
  • Thanks!
    Good to know you can fudge it a little! My only exercise recently is carrying around my kids and taking out the trash! hahaha
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    you'll have fun with Hip Hop Abs!

If you get bored of the music just play your own cds and turn the volume down if you still need to hear Shaun T.

I started to do a Jillian's Micheal workout series but on the third day I completely broke down and felt so disgusted with myself. It's hard staring at a skinny person and doing the workouts like it's nothing and you're their huffing and puffing!

That's when I decided to order Insanity. I was going to do Hip Hop abs but I was missing a dvd. Few weeks later I get the LV1 and LV2 Hip Hop Abs Set.

I think you'll love Shaun T! He is a great motivator and never makes me feel like poo.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Hip Hop Abs is REALLY fun!! I've never done the shred, but I have a couple other of her dvd's. You can most definitely combine them!! I do that a lot. I mix p90x with Jilllian Michael's Burn fat/Boost Metabolism. It keeps you from getting bored and mixes up the workouts, working different parts of your body. It's whatever YOU feel comfortable with!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    I have both too, I would say since you aren't a fitness buff(yet!) that an every other day would be great with this too, the shred can be hard when 1st staring so Hip Hop Abs is a great break ( less strength training more cardio!) Good luck!
  • Hip Hop Abs is sooo much fun and a great workout. Shaun T is great. And the thing about his workout videos is that it looks real. OTher home DVDs the people have a smile on their face and dont even drip one bead of sweat. With Shaun T him and his workout buddies all are breathing hard and sweating. Hip Hop Abs is a great workout for beginners.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I've done both workouts. It's a great idea to create a hybrid of both programs. Jillian's workout is great, however it may be hard on the knees. She has you doing a lot of squats. You can do both programs and alternate days. You'll get a good burn from both.
  • Thanks for your advice everyone!

I think I will combine them :).

I have seen the infomercials for Insanity and P90X and I KNOW i'm not ready for that! LOL And I also definitely know what you mean about seeing all those perfect fit models breezing through the workout knowing i'd be in a pool of sweat and tears! Hahahaha

Thanks so much for your help!

Off we go!!
This discussion has been closed.