You'll go bananas for this ice cream substitute!

Options
missiontofitness
missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
So..I just came across the magic that is banana soft serve. I hate eating bananas by themselves, and can only tolerate them hidden in my food. Finding different recipes for banana "soft serve" has changed the way I look at bananas forever. I just made this recipe today, and it was perfect! You will need a food processor for this recipe, and mine made three servings....was supposed to make four, but I wanted huge portions, haha.

Topping:
2 ounces of milk chocolate morsels (you can definitely use less, but I wanted mine to be super chocolate-y)
2 tablespoons of peanut butter

"Ice cream":
12 ounces of bananas, frozen solid (I froze mine overnight in tupperware)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Put your chocolate chips and peanut butter into a bowl, and microwave. Stir every 20 seconds or so, until your chips are melted. Set aside. In your food processor, blend your bananas and vanilla extract (use more if you want a more pronounced vanilla flavor) until they resemble the consistency of soft serve. You will need to scrape the sides often, and the bananas will look shredded and almost like chunks of almond for a while; this is normal! Get it to this consistency:

10600528_10203278811344049_3391301255495677364_n.jpg?oh=1bd1b86dddc6156b28a90aefce048c40&oe=545B5150&__gda__=1418988870_eff647e10a2bf1e6e96a7ef27d3534f4

Optional: take a spoonful or two of your topping, and add it in to your banana mixture. Pulse again until incorporated!

I used my small 2 cup Pyrex containers, filled them a third of the way with the banana mixture, and then divided up the chocolate topping between the three containers. This topping will firm up like the magic shell you get on the store; except you used two ingredients instead of two dozen! I was impatient and already ate one, but I put the other two in the freezer for me to enjoy tomorrow.

I've also seen variations that add fresh raspberries in with the bananas, and you could probably add mini chocolate chips as well to add some variety to your ice cream.

Enjoy!

Also, for my ingredients used, here were the macros I got:

Calories per serving (mine will serve three)
Carbs: 39g
Fat: 11g (mostly from the peanut butter...and chocolate overload)
Protein: 2g

Replies

• missiontofitness
    Options
    I've also seen other chefs freeze the "ice cream" (since it warms up a bit in the food processor), so you can use an ice cream scoop later on. Looks pretty cool!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    yes please
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love it, so delicious!!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I love it, so delicious!!

It was! I should have used more vanilla in mine, but it definitely made eating bananas much better! :D
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I need a food processor stat. I love banana ice cream.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038KPRG6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000M2FCWC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03WT8QWD6V45CJA94WV9

That's the one I got; and it's cheaper right now than what I got it for! (I got mine for around $29 last year on Amazon). It's super loud, but I love it because it gets the job done and lets me make stuff in bulk.
  • Peaches160
    Peaches160 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Bump
    Thanks for sharing :)

You're welcome!
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tried this and did not like this at all. I tried adding more sweetner and more vanilla, even peanut butter and nothing I did to it made it the slightest bit ok.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I tried this and did not like this at all. I tried adding more sweetner and more vanilla, even peanut butter and nothing I did to it made it the slightest bit ok.

That's unfortunate.
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I wonder if it had something to do with how ripe the bananas you were using were. I like bananas but they have to be pretty ripe, cause if not ripe they take on a completely different flavor.

I like bananas so I gotta try this.
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Here is another idea...a bit more $$ then the food processor....

http://yonanas.com/
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    We eat tons of bananas at our house, and when they start getting too mushy, I own them and toss them in the freezer, so they are always on hand for ice cream or smoothies.

I make mine with just a little soy milk, and blend it for several minutes, to incorporate some air, until it's soft-serve consistency. A little cool whip or flavored syrup on top, and I'm all set! Too easy, and the kids love it too.
  • walts9
    Options
    i will have to try this!
  • xerogamer89
    xerogamer89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found a similar recipe on the kitchn last week, and I decide to try it. I did not add anything when mixing, but I did add some Nutella over the two scoops. I liked it and I thought that it was a better alternative to buying a pint of ice cream.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I do this but im a banana fan with no mixer (yet) so I don't even mash the banana lol. Just slice it up and freeze it, then I usually put the frozen slices over some cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Drizzle with pb2, sugar free caramel, nutella, chocolate sauce, whatever you have handy that you typically put on ice cream.

This morning I had half a cup greek yogurt mixed with half a scoop whey protein, topped with frozen banana slices, some pineapple chunks, drizzled honey and a melted laughing cow cream cheese wedge over it, a little sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon :D
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Before I discovered this recipe I couldn't really stand bananas, although I love banana flavored Laffy Taffy.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, gotta try this!
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for yumminess later! Thank you!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    We eat tons of bananas at our house, and when they start getting too mushy, I own them and toss them in the freezer, so they are always on hand for ice cream or smoothies.

I make mine with just a little soy milk, and blend it for several minutes, to incorporate some air, until it's soft-serve consistency. A little cool whip or flavored syrup on top, and I'm all set! Too easy, and the kids love it too.

....Now I want to try this with almond milk. Nom nom nom!