Whey Protein vs Meal Replacement Protein

Options
I've had a lot of luck in the past in searching for answers to my questions online, but this time I am struggling a bit for this. I am trying to remain active (spinning, jogging, basic arm/leg strengthening exercise). But I am a bit confused, I need MFP wisdom!

Okay, I get that a meal replacement protein powder/drink is not ideal for many, I get that. A lot agree that nutrients from food is tastier, cheaper, and better (while some love the convenience). I know that it may have a larger carb/fat/calorie amount than to whey. I know whey is used for muscle building/exercising muscle recovery (does it help? I am not sure. I just read online that its recommended). And I know whey can be added to foods (oatmeal for example) to increase protein in a meal.

Besides absorption rate of whey (which will be quicker than a meal replacement) is there any reason why many prefer whey but don't go crazy for meal replacement drinks?

After exercising, I am confused which one to have (which I usually substitute as dinner because I combine almond milk+fruits and a high protein snack before exercising).

I saw a meal replacement drink that just has 30 more calories, more carbs (like 10 g), and 5g less protein compared to whey.

Can anyone clarify the whey vs protein meal replacement drink confusion I have? And does whey really help with recovery, gaining muscle, etc. that the whey protein shakes claim while eating on a deficit?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are over thinking this. Use what works for you now.