Low fiber diet suggestions?

Options
I am waiting for CT scan next week to rule out possible Crohn's/Colitis disease and need to follow a low fiber diet to prepare. I am used to eating whole grain, wheat, raw veggies/fruits, lots of dairy for protein and it seems all of those things are out. No nuts, seeds, etc.

Has anyone had to do this before? Any suggestions?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    eggs, salmon, tuna, chicken, turkey,
    soy or coconut yogurt
    vegetable soups and other cooked veggies such as spaghetti squash,
    cooked peaches, pears, apples, . . . .
    white rice,
    smooth nut butters
    baked potatoes (sweet or white,)
    olive oil and other oils,
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ^ That's a good list. My hubby has ulcerative colitis and there are many things we've learned to work around. He can actually still eat yogurt and string cheese, but avoids other dairy. Sweet potatoes, regular taters, white rice, canned green beans, canned or cooked fruit, applesauce...for bread I get the Orowheat buttermilk bread for him and he does well with that.

There is a group here on the boards for colitis, you might find some good info there too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/865-ulcerative-colitis

I hope your tests go well and you get some good answers! :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    OP, If you are supposed to be doing gluten free bread this week, Udi's GF bread is available in the freezer sections of most major supermarkets. It does not taste like real bread, but it will do if you are wishing you had some bread. Of course it costs more and has more calories than real bread.
    http://udisglutenfree.com/product-category/breads-rolls-buns/
  • potatogirl741
    potatogirl741 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. As far as I know, I can still have gluten and thank god I can still have creamy peanut butter! :bigsmile:
  • whiskeypony
    whiskeypony Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've found when I'm flaring with Crohn's that anything white probably isn't going to hurt my gut. :)

That list from Rodarose looks great! Things that work for me:

melon
    Well-aged cheeses
    coconut anything
    eggs & quiches
    mushrooms
    jersey/guernsey cow or goat milks (A2 beta caseins are a fascinating thing to research if you're a dairy addict like I am)

things i avoid like the plague when I'm flaring:
    raw anything
    any brassica
    any form of tomatoes/eggplants
    popcorn/seeds/nuts
    fruits high in sugar alcohols (pears, apples, peaches, plums, cherries)

hope that helps a little. good luck!
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hard cheese (I like string cheese and Dubliner) and eggs are my go-to items
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Check the packaging, but the tofu in my fridge has little to no fiber but has lots of protein - look up recipes for scrambles, quiches, etc. Did they specifically tell you to avoid all dairy? I have UC and when I'm flaring, white flour (white bread, saltines, oyster crackers) and hard cheese are my friends. My sister used to make me smoothies with chocolate soy milk, a banana, and a little protein powder.

Also coffee is completely out for me when I'm flaring. It's the hardest thing for me to give up. I can have tea, caffeinated pop, etc but not coffee.

Good luck!