Over my calories on healthy foods......Help!!

Options
Ok, so it seems as though I can handle my eating all day long and then when the end of the day rolls around, usually after 7pm, I am a bottomless pit! Most days I still manage to stay right around my calories but tonight I went about 400 calories over. Now, before I begin beating myself up I'm compelled to mention that I overate my calories on healthier items. An apple, cup of strawberries, multigrain crackers, 2 pieces of dark chocolate (instead of a whole bar which I otherwise would've consumed)......

So, why can't I eat all the healthy stuff I want?? It's so unfair!! Stupid calories :sad: How do you all control late evening cravings?? Should I really care about calories in healthy fruits? I'm sure the answer to that is "yes"

Replies

• nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    Ok, so it seems as though I can handle my eating all day long and then when the end of the day rolls around, usually after 7pm, I am a bottomless pit! Most days I still manage to stay right around my calories but tonight I went about 400 calories over. Now, before I begin beating myself up I'm compelled to mention that I overate my calories on healthier items. An apple, cup of strawberries, multigrain crackers, 2 pieces of dark chocolate (instead of a whole bar which I otherwise would've consumed)......

So, why can't I eat all the healthy stuff I want?? It's so unfair!! Stupid calories :sad: How do you all control late evening cravings?? Should I really care about calories in healthy fruits? I'm sure the answer to that is "yes"
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Is there a way you can save some extra calories so when you do want to eat at night you'll have some left over?
    Also are you losing still even if your going over in your calories? Cause maybe your body needs those calories.
    Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes when the body is dehrydrated it thinks it's hungry when really all you need is more water.
    You can also earn extra calories by exercising (if your not already)

-adrienne:heart:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cheat... If I know that I might have a ice cream sandwich or whatever I log it in.. Even before I eat it. So then it's taken up during the day.. Then bout 10 30p or 11p, I go to look at my cals and I'm like oh yeh, I get my sweet tooth fix...

Try that.. Might work. Nonetheless Good Luck!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cheat... If I know that I might have a ice cream sandwich or whatever I log it in.. Even before I eat it. So then it's taken up during the day.. Then bout 10 30p or 11p, I go to look at my cals and I'm like oh yeh, I get my sweet tooth fix...

Try that.. Might work. Nonetheless Good Luck!

That's exactly what I do!

Unfortunately, I think going over on healthy calories is still going over on calories. That's my hot-button issue as well. I do well all day, then eat too many raisins, or too much pineapple, or flax bread with olive oil...it's all heatlhy stuff sure, but at the end of the day it's also a LOT of calories.

I know that I have this problem, so I'm trying to eat bigger breakfasts and to establish a cut-off point for eating at the end of the day so that my biggest meal is not at dinner.
  • nik433
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Those are all good suggestions.

I do actually need to drink more water and I have heard that you can mistake thirst for hunger. I normally have extra calories at the end of the day and I work out every day but I think I eat less during the day so at the end of the day I'm extra hungry, and self control is at a minimum. I should just eat bigger meals before dinner. Darn fruit, why do you have to be so good!
  • lahryn
    lahryn Posts: 6
    Options
    What I've noticed has helped me the most is giving myself a cut off point. I chose 8:30 because I tend to go to bed around 10-11pm.. It was really really hard at first and sometimes I'll still cheat, but I try to eat celery if I HAVE to eat something, that way it barely counts as eating. lol.

From what I've read, you should stop eating 2 hours before bedtime even if it's soley for the purpose of getting better rest. If you eat right before bedtime your body is busy digesting and isn't resting so you'll wake up in the morning feeling less rested than you may otherwise.

The 8:30 pm cut off was most difficult because thats about the time that Brent and I pop popcorn or eat a bowl of icecream while watching tv but I've made Brent my inforcer and he knows that if I try to get food that late he is to reprimand me, or at least make fun of me. Usually thats enough for me to drop my spoon and instead go for a glass of water or handful of celery.

Also remember that the fruit you're munching on right before bed contains lots of sugar and may give you problems falling asleep (at least I'm very sensitive to sugar/caffeine and cannot consume either for a coupe horus before bedtime).
    Good luck!
    Lahryn
  • nik433
    Options
    I did it! One day down, many to go. I did cave to 2 pieces of dark chocolate after I had hit my calorie limit but when I wanted more I just made myself some green tea instead and it worked!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. :drinker:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I did it! One day down, many to go. I did cave to 2 pieces of dark chocolate after I had hit my calorie limit but when I wanted more I just made myself some green tea instead and it worked!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. :drinker:

Yippee! :flowerforyou:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i was going to suggest the cup of tea if your at your calories thats what i do (when im being good) sometimes i cave but only eat one or two bits of some type of sugar.

i am a cereal junky at night so i save 200-250 calories for that and i try to buy some that are a little sweet but high fiber so i dont feel as bad. 9pm is my cut off time also

a alo stick to 300 CAL BREAKFAST A 300 CAL LUNCH AND 400 CAL DINNER so i have snack calories from 200-400 depending on exercise