Which School Of Thought are you?

I go back and forth between schools of thought....
Thought process #1 "America is killing themselves with bad food. I can't eat it anymore, my (future) children won't and working out hard and eating no processed food is the only way to live."
#2 "I'm doing better than I was. My workouts are kicking my *kitten* and i like some treats but eating better 80% of the time is best, but I'm doing so much better. Although the weight isn't falling off, it will come off eventually with my new habits."
Whose with me or against me? Not looking for hate, just wondering.

Replies

• bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    To me, those are two sides of the same school of thought. The ultimate goal, and the journey getting there.
  • mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    I think you have to do what works for you. That being said, I would be leary of an all or nothing style of thinking, you don't want to set yourself up for failure. I don't think having a treat once in a while (as long as it's not a trigger food) is going to hurt. But again, everyone is different and has to do what they think is best for their own body. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Eat whatever you like and move enough to put some stress on your muscle and cardiovascular system and your golden........
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Eat whatever you like and move enough to put some stress on your muscle and cardiovascular system and your golden........

^agree
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    #3 "Working out sure is awesome for fitness and to help shape my body - but not to cause fat loss - and I think I'm going to enjoy a donut because it fits into my macros for the day and I've hit my protein minimum!"

and if the goal is to lose body fat, then add "while eating at a caloric deficit from maintenance" to that.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    #2. I choose healthy, filling food most of the time but I don't really consider anything "bad food", except bad tasting food.

Fast food and 'junk food' are what they are-- high calorie, easy to overeat, ok in moderation. But the food isn't hurting people. It's how much of it people eat that hurts them. Though it's hard to stop when it's full of fat, sugar and sodium. But still, it's the eating.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    It hard to know if I am for or against you OP since you dont state which side you are on :wink:

Anyway I am not in America - but I do think obesity is an ongoing challenge in affluent countries - however I dont think processed food per se is the problem.

So I think individuals would do best if they can get/keep their weight within a healthy range and if they can eat a balanced diet of a variety of foods

Whether that diet includes processed foods or treats or not is up to the individual and does not, in itself, really matter.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Which school of thought am I? I am a scratch cook who doesn't feel deprived. I believe we would be healthier without over processed and refined foods.
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    It hard to know if I am for or against you OP since you dont state which side you are on :wink:

Anyway I am not in America - but I do think obesity is an ongoing challenge in affluent countries - however I dont think processed food per se is the problem.

So I think individuals would do best if they can get/keep their weight within a healthy range and if they can eat a balanced diet of a variety of foods

Whether that diet includes processed foods or treats or not is up to the individual and does not, in itself, really matter.

I don't know which side I'm on. I go back and forth. I wanted to know what a lot of the community thought.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Which school of thought am I? I am a scratch cook who doesn't feel deprived. I believe we would be healthier without over processed and refined foods.

This!:smile:
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm closer to #2 in that I tend to believe that the best fitness and diet plan is the one you'll actually stick to. I tried subscribing to #1 once, and all it did was burn me out within a few months, though I also realize it's the perfect fit for some people. I'd also say that weight loss comes primarily from eating at a calorie deficit, while nutrition and exercise are important for other reasons.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    My school of thought...

Eat healthy 80% of the time (the other 20% is life, ice cream and chocolate), move more, lift heavy and be awesome.
  • Closer to #2 - I eat healthy most of the time, but can't completely cut out chocolate etc. Trying to go completely #1 was unsustainable for me and wasn't able to stick to the diet.

Life's too short to deprive myself of the good things every now and then
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    My school of thought...

Eat healthy 80% of the time (the other 20% is life, ice cream and chocolate), move more, lift heavy and be awesome.

^^^ Yep. this. Most of the time I eat healthy, non-processed food, and the other small percentage I eat Talenti, cool whip, champagne and Starbucks pumpkin spice latte if it fits into my calorie allowance for the day. I tried the Food Babe rigid lifestyle for a hot minute and it made me miserable and broke.
    BTW: I love your name Calliope. My favourite muse.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    I'm doing this to become the best me. Weight loss and getting in shape is important but the real gain is me getting stronger physically and mentally. Getting the confidence to be able to do this again. Being unstoppable,