Getting Frustrated about my weight

Options
Hello, I am new here to this community and I am hoping that I get some great tips and understanding about weight loss. I am getting very baffled with how my scale is acting!!! I know that it is not right to weigh constantly, however I do. The reason being is because I work out a lot and eventually at night time I get back to the weight I was that morning when I weighed in. Well today I awoke I was 280 and I didn't workout 2 times a day as usual because I was busy so I worked out only one time today for 30 mins. I stepped on the scale shortly after I stepped on the scale and I gained 3 POUNDS!!. I shook it off and thought maybe it would drop off by tonight, but just recently I stepped on the scale I was 281 then I stepped on shortly after it went back to 283 pounds!!. I know when once I sleep and wake up I will be right back to 280. I am trying to get to at least 279 or 278 and the scale is not moving at all!!!!! Can someone help me out!!!

I also havent eaten as much today

this morning I ate: 2 sausage patties and 3 boiled eggs with a cup of water

Snack I ate cheez it (27 crackers) and a snack pack pudding.

Lunch: Progresso soup

Dinner just a light snack

and of course lots of water with each meal

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You realize that weighing thru out the day also adds in what ever you've eaten, drank, and not released from your body at that point right? Your weight fluctuates through out the day pick a day of the week in the morning wearing the same clothes and that's your weight, if you must do it every day follow those same protocols. Otherwise so long as its in a general downwardly direction don't worry about it.
  • itz_fiyah
    itz_fiyah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium. Weigh yourself in the morning right AFTER you use the bathroom for a more accurate scale reading. Invest in a tape measure scales are prone to lie.

Hope this helps.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yea you are right but I also use the bathroom then weigh myself during the day as well. I do a short bathroom break then weigh myself when I do it during the day
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    Watch your sodium. Weigh yourself in the morning right AFTER you use the bathroom for a more accurate scale reading. Invest in a tape measure scales are prone to lie.

Hope this helps

I am trying so hard to watch my sodium, but with my busy lifestyle i cant help but to eat already processed healthy foods. Could the sodium intake I had today could be the problem ??
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You're weighing yourself too much.

Make sure you are logging accurately, weigh yourself once a week max and at the same time/day, make sure your caloric deficit is reasonable (20% or 1lb/week), drink lots of water to help with water retention (for me, this is at least 20 8oz cups for clear urine, much more if I've been dehydrated for a while).
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Hope this helps

I am trying so hard to watch my sodium, but with my busy lifestyle i cant help but to eat already processed healthy foods. Could the sodium intake I had today could be the problem ??

Maybe you could use some of the time you spend weighing yourself to cook some of your own food instead? :flowerforyou:
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You don't gain 3lbs in less than a day. That is an extra 10,500 calories, and a handful of cheez its and some boiled eggs won't get you there. Likely the weight of the food inside you, retained water, and/or scale issues (is it on a flat surface? Does it get moved? Are you on carpet?)

Either way, get off the scale and stop obsessing!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Chill out, woman! Scales fluctuate. They go up and down. At period time, WOW do they go up!

Weigh yourself ONE time a day and stop worrying about it. If it goes up, it goes up. If it goes down, yay that.

This is going to happen day after day for as long as it takes to lose weight.

So relax, watch the line and see how it looks after two or three weeks.

Patience is a huge part of weight loss. :)

You'll be fine.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate 5+ pounds throughout the day. Either cut it down to once a day, every morning after you wake up and use the bathroom, or if you still feel the urge to jump on later, have someone hide the scale and only bring it out every 1-2 weeks.
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    I weigh myself every 7 days. Just once. Whatever the scale says that is my weight for the week.
    I wouldn't worry about fluctuations through out the day. Like every one is saying, that is perfectly normal. Obsessing won't change it. I'd focus that energy elsewhere. These things unfortunately take time.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Weight seriously fluctuates ! We didn't gain it overnight we are not going to lose it overnight. You also nee to make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. When I started my diet, I only weighed myself once and now since I've been on my diet longer and almost to my goal weight I am constantly weighing myself like crazy. Hopefully when I sleep tonight I go down some pounds
  • robbynackner
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration, because I've been there. It looks like you're not eating enough. That was my problem too in the beginning of my weight loss journey. I was 389 lbs and thought for sure if I starved myself then I would lose weight. And yes, I'd lose a little, but then I'd stay stuck for a long time. It wasn't until I actually started eating more food and eating regularly that I started REALLY losing weight. Within 10 months of increasing my calories, I lost 100 lbs. How many calories are you averaging a day and what's your ratio of carbs, protein, fats, sugar, etc. So, many people advise against weighing yourself every day, however I will say that I too weight myself every single morning. It's been 6 years since I hit my goal and I still weigh myself every single day and don't find a darn thing wrong with it. I'd recommend really looking hard at what you're eating and increasing your calories. Your body might go into sort of a "shock" for a short while, but as soon as it realizes that it is being fueled regularly, with good food, the pounds will drops. When I work with my clients, I compare their metabolism with a fireplace. When you put a big log on the fire, it burns really slowly and will sometimes even go out, but when you keep adding little twigs to the fire, it burns brightly. You need to keep adding fuel to your fire aka metabolism, to get it burning steadily. Good luck on your journey!!
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration, because I've been there. It looks like you're not eating enough. That was my problem too in the beginning of my weight loss journey. I was 389 lbs and thought for sure if I starved myself then I would lose weight. And yes, I'd lose a little, but then I'd stay stuck for a long time. It wasn't until I actually started eating more food and eating regularly that I started REALLY losing weight. Within 10 months of increasing my calories, I lost 100 lbs. How many calories are you averaging a day and what's your ratio of carbs, protein, fats, sugar, etc. So, many people advise against weighing yourself every day, however I will say that I too weight myself every single morning. It's been 6 years since I hit my goal and I still weigh myself every single day and don't find a darn thing wrong with it. I'd recommend really looking hard at what you're eating and increasing your calories. Your body might go into sort of a "shock" for a short while, but as soon as it realizes that it is being fueled regularly, with good food, the pounds will drops. When I work with my clients, I compare their metabolism with a fireplace. When you put a big log on the fire, it burns really slowly and will sometimes even go out, but when you keep adding little twigs to the fire, it burns brightly. You need to keep adding fuel to your fire aka metabolism, to get it burning steadily. Good luck on your journey!!

Thanks so much for this. I haven't really started counting calories but as of next week I will start to do it. I am going to start. I think that would be much better for me. I usually eat what I can afford. I also have cheat days every weekends where I do eat foods that is rich in calories miraculously when I get back on my exercising at the beginning of the week the next day I would pounds lighter.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself once a day, at the same time of the day. Preferably in the mornings, before breakfast, naked, after emptying bladder and hopefully everything else. That is what I do and I haven't seen a fluctuation in my weight higher than 0.8 for the last 4 months.

You're overthinking the whole process, you will not see changes in weight based on one day's activities or food intake. This takes time, patience and consistency. I think that you are so focused on those numbers that it would be best for you to stay away from the scale for a few weeks. If you are accurately measuring and tracking your food you should lose weight and that is what your focus should be on, do not obsess over those numbers, it will only have a negative impact on your goals.

Good luck
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Do the morning weigh in thing and track your calories and drink water. What has helped me is focusing on me, not on the scale, not on a number, how I feel in the morning after I get up and am fully awake. I sometimes do focus on the food if I'm preparing something and try to think good thoughts while preparing anything so only good stuff is going into me. Focusing on me and being self-aware has helped. I don't know if that helps you any but thought I'd toss it out there.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    Weight yourself once a day, at the same time of the day. Preferably in the mornings, before breakfast, naked, after emptying bladder and hopefully everything else. That is what I do and I haven't seen a fluctuation in my weight higher than 0.8 for the last 4 months.

You're overthinking the whole process, you will not see changes in weight based on one day's activities or food intake. This takes time, patience and consistency. I think that you are so focused on those numbers that it would be best for you to stay away from the scale for a few weeks. If you are accurately measuring and tracking your food you should lose weight and that is what your focus should be on, do not obsess over those numbers, it will only have a negative impact on your goals.

Good luck

Thanks very much for the inspiration
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think you should chew it over a twix
  • DeterminedbyGod
    Options
    I think you should chew it over a twix

Lol I wish but, I have a day left for my cheat day. LOL
  • BuckwheatsMomma
    BuckwheatsMomma Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? What is your max calories a day?

I think if you stay within the 1200, eat as healthy as you can and exercise you will lose weight!
    Also, my weight may change about a pound at various times of the day.

Weigh yourself each morning, or three times a week. Keep at it and soon you will see the weight loss.

This is what I know; If you eat less calories a day and do moderate exercise, you will lose weight.

Good luck!