Gluten free flours

Well, I possibly have a gluten intolerance and after a few days of overeating gluten-heavy food and feeling terrible, I thought it might be a good idea to take it seriously.

I have a habit of craving foods I can't really have. Like cookies. Technically, yes, I can have them, but sometimes they would take up too many calories which I need to use for protein, for instance. Not being able to eat the cookies full-stop because they have gluten in them? That's going to drive me mad. And then I'll probably go and ruin my progress. Do you see what I mean?

So, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for flours I can use when baking - suggestions for bread flour would be great, too - that are still tasty, and not higher in calories than regular flour (I don't know if that's a possibility....). Oh, and preferably nothing expensive...

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    If you want to try going gluten-free for digestive/health reasons and NOT for weight loss reasons, then simply print off a list of safe and not-safe ingredients for Celiacs and make sure what you get is GF. And try a few GF store brands like Udis or Kinnikinnick for cookies.

Gluten doesn't make you fat. And it's in more than just flour. You can have cookies and protein all in the same day btw. Just have fewer cookies....

If you want to bake, then start off with a simple all-purpose GF baking flour. Bob's Red Mill and Robin Hood both make some.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Oh, I know it won't make me fat. This is entirely due to health reasons. I'm going to see a doctor about it, but they'll probably want me to cut it out for a while and see how I feel anyway, so I might as well start now.

What I mean is it's going to be hard knowing on a given day, I might actually be able to fit in that cookie because I've had something with lots of protein in and have spare calories, but then I can't have it anyway. Does that make sense? I'm sort of sleep deprived at the moment.

The protein thing is difficult to explain. I just struggle to get enough as it is, and have to skip treats so I can stuff my face full of eggs or protein powder instead :p

Are the gluten free all purpose flours okay? I was always a little suspicious they might not work very well. And they never seem to say what type of flour they are... though I suppose maybe they just somehow extract the gluten from regular flour?

I was thinking more along the lines of using different flours altogether. Like rye, except apparently that has gluten in it too. :/ I think you can get nut flours and thought they could be nice in sweet baked goods... just wondered if anyone had experience with these sorts of things.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    The Luna Bars and Lara Bars are gluten free. I second Bob's Red Mill and Robin Hood flour:
    You ask what is in the flours. Bob's Red Mill has a mixture of these types of flours: arbanzo bean flour, potato starch, whole grain white sorghum flour, tapioca flour and fava bean flour. (No wheat).
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-all-purpose-baking-flour.html
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    If you are seeing the doctor regarding Celiac Disease, DO NOT cut out your gluten until after testing. You need to have gluten in your body for the tests to work.

I have been researching this a bit as we think my husband is either gluten sensitive or has Celiac Disease. They have the same symptoms. I would suggest researching this a bit first before making a decision.
  • lucygoesrawr
    If you are seeing the doctor regarding Celiac Disease, DO NOT cut out your gluten until after testing. You need to have gluten in your body for the tests to work.

I have been researching this a bit as we think my husband is either gluten sensitive or has Celiac Disease. They have the same symptoms. I would suggest researching this a bit first before making a decision.

Ah... thanks for telling me. I'd only need to eat a little bit of a gluten though, right?
  • travel2000
    travel2000 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been gluten free for 4 years and I find that most gluten free flours taste nasty. I have had the best success with Betty Crockers . Gluten free Bisquick mix. I use it just like wheat flour. I use it to coat chicken or anything else I have to fry. It's a little expensive but it taste good. I don't want to have to add 5 different things together to get flour that I can digest. I like the convenience and the taste.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,189 Member
    What about the rest of the days in your life where you didn't over do it.......how did you feel?
  • lucygoesrawr
    What about the rest of the days in your life where you didn't over do it.......how did you feel?

Well, it varies. I can eat a small portion of wholewheat pasta one day and be fine, or some of those thin pancakes you use with duck. White flour based foods make me immediately bloated.
    If I have some gluten every day - like a few weeks ago, I had a half to one pitta bread a day - I can't go to the bathroom very much.... This also leads to bloat after a couple of days which doesn't go away until I cut out gluten again.

Though I seem to be all right with some rye based stuff, and whether the flour is white or wholemeal generally seems to make quite a big difference. Which does make me wonder...

Your dog is very cute, by the way :)
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member

Ah... thanks for telling me. I'd only need to eat a little bit of a gluten though, right?

Husband and son here with Coeliac :smile:

From memory, you need to eat at least once slice of bread every day for 2-3 weeks before testing (it's been a while though, so it may not be that long, but you do need to have a good amount of it in your system). If you've removed gluten before doing this, and you are intolerant, you will feel like crap for that time. It's easier to stick to your usual diet for a little bit longer.

There are other issues besides gluten - it could be a simple wheat intolerance, fructose or something else. Gluten is in so much stuff that you wouldn't even think of - candy, meats, sauces, crisps, the list goes on and on. Reading labels is almost a full-time job lol Even a small amount like in a jellybean can cause issues with my son.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    i'm allergic to wheat, so while i can eat rye and barley, have to use alternative flours as regular flour products cause me excrutiating pain that goes on for up to two days. one flour i really like is king arthur gluten free flour. add a little baking powder and you can use it to make a loaf of your favorite recipe bread in the bread machine. trader joe's is pretty good, and i like the bread mix from bob's red mill, only it does have a little garbanzo bean taste.

udi's makes a ready to eat sliced sandwhich white which is small but not bad tasting. they sell it around me in every grocery store, target, trader joe's and whole foods.

barbara's makes all sorts of yummy cookies, and also handy mixes for all sorts of things.

and you can grind up 1-minute oats in the blender to use as oat flour.

glutino, often found in ralph's and whole foods and sprouts, makes frozen pizza, and also boxed cookies and crackers.
  • lucygoesrawr
    Thanks for the advice :) Being in the UK, I don't think a lot of those brands will be available to me, but I'll have a look around. I love oats and we have a spice grinder, so I'll be trying that.

Right, so, I'm going to start re-introducing gluten/wheat back into my diet, I suppose (oops...). My appointment is tomorrow. So... the NHS page about Coeliac Disease says you have a blood test + biopsy for diagnosis. I'm kind of thinking that if the blood test says it's likely, I might just skip the biopsy and never eat gluten/wheat again. Not sure I fancy having someone put a tube down my throat into my intestine... :(