How do you deal with extreme soreness?

ChuckgM3
ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Since I was already a pretty muscular (yet very overweight) guy, for the first 30 lbs of my weight loss, I was just doing gobs of cardio... now I've decided to work on my lean muscle so I started p90x again... I'm 4 days in and my muscles are absolutely destroyed! You never really realize how little you use those muscles (even doing various cardio) until you use them.

I can barely walk, it hurts to move... I can barely get around, I'm concerned about how I'm going to do my workout tomorrow.

I know beachbody recommends the "recovery drink" right after work outs but that's spendy, and I've read that chocolate milk is a good budget alternative, but I'm going no-dairy with my diet right now.

What do you guys do to deal with extreme soreness and make sure you're good to go for the next days workout? (I don't know how much more asprin I can pop)

Replies

• billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Nice hot sauna
  • They make a soy and almond chocolate milk if needed. Recovery drink is totally worth the money, though. Other than that, lots of water, some good ol' Aleve, and some nice hot showers and rest. Workout tomorrow but don't feel bad if you can't hit it as hard as the previous day. :)
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Try protein shake, mix it with water
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    I'm not a guy, but I do some weight training and it's been pretty hard on me at times. When I'm super sore, I take really hot showers, do a lot of stretching in the morning and before bed, and complain until I get a massage. :wink:
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 494 Member
    i know wut u mean. I take a couple aleve and if i'm able to I take a long hot bath. if times short...a hot shower. Good luck. Keep up the great work!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I like the special K protein drink. 50 cals and mixed with water. Not chalky at all. Tylenol and a hot shower and then I just gimp around. :)

Good luck, I'm starting the lean p90x in Jan, now you're scaring me lol

Hang in there, sore is your body telling you that you're alive and working out. :)
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    I stretch, take baths and take ibuprofen.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Cold bath followed by a hot shower. Always stretch after a session...and keep moving, it'll keep your muscles from seizing up. Also, if all else fails...tiger balm or icy hot.
    Drink chocolate milk as a recovery drink...perfect blend of carbs to protein ratio.
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    LOL... I know the feeling and it is NOT pleasant. In fact, I just did legs 2 Fridays ago for the first time in 3 months... all I did was squat (5 sets) and hamstring curls (4 sets) and I was in PAIN through Monday.
    I have been lifting on and off for many years, and what I have found to help is... IMMEDIATELY after the workoput, do some stetching and drink a protein shake. You can find some deals on the protein... some web sites have shakes that are slightly past their expiration date and you can pick them up dirt cheap. Also, GNC has their own Pro Performance whey protein, which tastes great with water or fat free milk and is very inexpensive when they have a sale (usually can get buy one get one half off... couple that with Gold Card week and it is very affordable).
    Also, you can take ibuprofen (Tylenol)... it is great for dulling the pain!
    Finally, the next couple of days after, you can do some stretching and light cardio to loosen up.
  • ChuckgM3
    Hmm, I may try the soy-almond chocolate milk, that sounds good...

I did get in the jacuzzi last night (in the rain, would have been romantic if I weren't all by myself haha) and it felt great at the time, but I'm not sure if actually helped any.

Don't be Scurr'd Beth, you can do it too! I'm just being a baby :)

I have had the Recovery Drink before, not only does it work, but it's tasty... maybe I'll splurge and get some more.
  • ChuckgM3
    What do you guys do to deal with extreme soreness and make sure you're good to go for the next days workout? (I don't know how much more asprin I can pop)

Dude - your muscles are telling you to REST! I know the P90X program is meant to be used daily, but listen to your body before you hurt yourself.

I know, I hate to rest when I'm on a roll though :)

BTW, LOVE your profile pic, hilarious
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    just keep moving, thats the best thing to do, to battle the sores
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Don't be Scurr'd Beth, you can do it too! I'm just being a baby :)

I'm very sore in my back from raking pine straw yesterday. That is no where near the activity as P90x! So, *I'm* being a baby. Don't feel bad for feeling sore after a workout. :)
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    My brother is a personal trainer and says your muscles that work out one day need to rest the next and then do them again this goes for the whole body...1 day on and 1 day off, every time u work out u tear your muscles ( in order for them to grow) and they need to regain nutrients in order for them to grow and do their job properly by keeping you healthy and strong and in order to loose weight u need to follow that one rule, your body needs time for rest to refuel...Don't be too hard on yourself....Your body is telling you something i will repeat what he said up there....

Even the hard core body builders do this....They even make sure they cheat 1 day a week to keep them in line...I have seen it for myself, my brother has built quite the body for himself and has kept it that way by doing just that....
This discussion has been closed.