Portion Control

bigman300
bigman300 Posts: 7
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
It's really the Key to a Successful Diet, there really is no Bad foods, unless your Counting Fried Food (Something we know About in the South) for instance you a big steak, first take your time at eating the steak, read a paper, watch a Movie, clean . etc. etc. but all in all, eat smart, take your time, and you dont have to eat the whole steak, eat half of the steak and eat a piece of fruit or vegetable. if you have any suggestions or comments, they would be greatly Appreciated.

Replies

• My success this time around has been all about portion control.
    I'm still eating many of the same foods I did before, just trying to keep within the serving sizes.
    Since my husband isn't dieting, this has allowed us to find a happy balance still eating the meals we enjoyed together. I just make sure what i'm eating fits within my alloted calories. If there is something that I want to eat, and I know I will be eating a bigger portion of, I just get in the extra exercise needed to balance.

This is the only way I feel I can continue to have a successful lifestyle change without feeling deprived.
    However, I do mix in more fruits and vegetables than I used to, as well. The good thing about that is, you can eat more of them ;)
  • My success this time around has been all about portion control.
    I'm still eating many of the same foods I did before, just trying to keep within the serving sizes.
    Since my husband isn't dieting, this has allowed us to find a happy balance still eating the meals we enjoyed together. I just make sure what i'm eating fits within my alloted calories. If there is something that I want to eat, and I know I will be eating a bigger portion of, I just get in the extra exercise needed to balance.

This is the only way I feel I can continue to have a successful lifestyle change without feeling deprived.
    However, I do mix in more fruits and vegetables than I used to, as well. The good thing about that is, you can eat more of them ;)

I totally agree. The hardest part for me has been eating a dinner of normal portions and getting used to 'that's enough food'. But I can pretty much have giant dollops of vegetables and it counts for almost nothing!

It is also important for me to be able to eat with my family and have what they're having. I couldn't just give up things entirely. (No alcohol, no carbs, no dairy, no sweets, whatever) If it wasn't sustainable and I felt deprived, it would make me grumpy and my husband would be pushing chocolates at me!

I'm not on a diet. I'm changing my relationship with food.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    yes, one should not deprive oneself. at the end of the day you still gotta live and be happy, and food is one of the great pleasures of life. living on kale only makes unhappiness. so have a piece of chocolate, but dont have the whole box
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Portion control is HUGE for me. As I've gotten further in this I do find there are some foods I tend not to eat just because they aren't worth it. For example, a donut or muffin. Those that I would normally order were usually 400+ calories and either I was still hungry or hungry again shortly after. It's helped me not to banish any foods so I don't feel like I couldn't indulge if I wanted to but learning the nutrition behind some of my choices certainly helps put them in their proper place...which is not on my plate on a regular basis! Hmmm...a fruit explosion muffin or oatmeal with banana and chopped walnuts and a little brown sugar (with calories to spare too). One is fuel for my body and the other is yummy but chains me to my treadmill!
This discussion has been closed.